Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can't believe how nervous I am about tonight's game. I am actually a little sick to my stomach.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I don't see any reason why both Point and Hyman can't play alongside McDavid...it would actually be a well-configured line. Point can provide the high-end skill like you mentioned, and Hyman can provide the board/corner work and net-front presence (and can play either wing). Personally, I think you need both elements to get the most out of McDavid.

For the 4 Nations Cup I'd line up Hyman and Point alongside McDavid. Then for the 2026 Olympics I'd pencil-in Bedard on his right side and see where Hyman is at with his level of play. If he's lost a step, which is certainly a possibility, maybe look at someone like McTavish or Byfield that can provide a power element on the other wing.

I don't like how the play of both Verhaeghe and Reinhart has fallen off during this Oilers comeback. Verhaeghe has made some nice plays here and there, but has been a lot more tentative in the o-zone and passing up or taking too much time on some good looks. I don't think Reinhart has had much of an impact this series either, tbh. Barkov has really been the only Florida star forward pulling his weight, aside from the 3rd line guys who have been pretty good. I don't think it necessarily says a lot about their chances of making a best-on-best team (I think Reinhart is likely to make the 4 Nations team based on his defensive play at the wing position, Verhaeghe is likely on the bubble), but a good Cup final could have really cemented their positions imo. We'll see how tonight goes.
I was thinking the exact same thing about Reinhart. I am still high on Verhaege as Canada lacks pure shooters. Reinhart benefitted immensely from Florida’s PP and playing alongside one of the best centres in the game in Barkov. If he can’t keep this offence up, I would opt to have Stone instead of Reinhart at next year’s World Cup. I also think Marchand has enough in the tank to make the team and he’s still so good and has the chemistry with Crosby and Mack.
The way I have it:

Hyman-McDavid-Bedard
Marchand-Crosby-MacKinnon
Lafrenière-Point-Marner
Verhaege-Johnston-Thomas
Barzal-Stone

PK-Wise: I think it’s time to put star players in checking roles.
PK1: Marchand-Thomas
PK2: Point-Johnston
Swap in Stone or Hyman for grit

Watch for Jarvis, McTavish, and Byfield to make splashes

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't see any reason why both Point and Hyman can't play alongside McDavid...it would actually be a well-configured line. Point can provide the high-end skill like you mentioned, and Hyman can provide the board/corner work and net-front presence (and can play either wing). Personally, I think you need both elements to get the most out of McDavid.

For the 4 Nations Cup I'd line up Hyman and Point alongside McDavid. Then for the 2026 Olympics I'd pencil-in Bedard on his right side and see where Hyman is at with his level of play. If he's lost a step, which is certainly a possibility, maybe look at someone like McTavish or Byfield that can provide a power element on the other wing.

I don't like how the play of both Verhaeghe and Reinhart has fallen off during this Oilers comeback. Verhaeghe has made some nice plays here and there, but has been a lot more tentative in the o-zone and passing up or taking too much time on some good looks. I don't think Reinhart has had much of an impact this series either, tbh. Barkov has really been the only Florida star forward pulling his weight, aside from the 3rd line guys who have been pretty good. I don't think it necessarily says a lot about their chances of making a best-on-best team (I think Reinhart is likely to make the 4 Nations team based on his defensive play at the wing position, Verhaeghe is likely on the bubble), but a good Cup final could have really cemented their positions imo. We'll see how tonight goes.
Verhaeghe read your post. His tip on Florida's first goal was a thing of beauty.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I get this is a 2026 projection but at this point in time Hyman is basically a lock to play beside McDavid. Not only did he have an amazing year, but they have great chemistry. If the Kunitz/Crosby combo tells me anything it's that chemistry will be a strong factor in the roster decisions like this.
It's nice to have an "easy" pairing so, yes, I agree. McDavid and Hyman on the first line.

Easy chemistry and "easy" - requiring no thought.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Reinhart and Verhaeghe both played excellent tonight on the biggest stage. I don’t think he’s anywhere near the team but Ekblad as well was a monster on puck battles below the dots. Skinner will be fine with the best team in the world in front of him, but that second goal was a bit of a muffin to let in

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Reinhart and Verhaeghe both played excellent tonight on the biggest stage. I don’t think he’s anywhere near the team but Ekblad as well was a monster on puck battles below the dots. Skinner will be fine with the best team in the world in front of him, but that second goal was a bit of a muffin to let in
1 "muffin" in 4 games is excellent. Edmonton only scored one goal - can't blame tonight's loss on goaltending.

Where was Hyman?

We need players who are clutch.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I was thinking the exact same thing about Reinhart. I am still high on Verhaege as Canada lacks pure shooters. Reinhart benefitted immensely from Florida’s PP and playing alongside one of the best centres in the game in Barkov. If he can’t keep this offence up, I would opt to have Stone instead of Reinhart at next year’s World Cup. I also think Marchand has enough in the tank to make the team and he’s still so good and has the chemistry with Crosby and Mack.
The way I have it:

Hyman-McDavid-Bedard
Lafrenière-Point-Marner
Verhaege-Johnston-Thomas
Barzal-Stone

PK-Wise: I think it’s time to put star players in checking roles.
PK1: Marchand-Thomas
PK2: Point-Johnston
Swap in Stone or Hyman for grit

Watch for Jarvis, McTavish, and Byfield to make splashes

The thing with Reinhart is yes, he absolutely benefited from playing with Barkov (and Barkov benefited from playing with Reinhart), but guess who Reinhart would be playing with on Team Canada in a best-on-best? One of the best centres in the world in McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Johnston, Thomas...etc. Hard to leave a 50+ goal, 2nd place Selke finisher off a best-on-best team (and yes, I assume his scoring totals will dip next year but he's still a very reasonable bet to get 35+ goals).

I'd still like to get Byfield on the 4 Nations Cup team, as I see him as part of the nucleus of our best-on-best teams going forward, much like how Rick Nash was part of the nucleus of back-to-back Olympic gold medal teams without being a superstar. I think it would be cool to see MacKinnon centre Byfield and Lafreniere on a line that can really attack downhill and play it either really heavy on the forecheck or deadly off the rush.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Last mock for the summer. Skinner in line to start, Lafrenière draws in for Verhaeghe. Stacked team and more solid picture around goaltending with Skinner’s good finish to the playoffs

Hyman-McDavid-Bédard
Johnston-Point-Lafrenière
Stone-Thomas-Reinhart

(Horvat, Byfield, Stamkos, Suzuki, Jarvis, Konecny, Marner, Barzal, Hagel, Verhaeghe, Scheifele)

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Harley-Doughty

(Power, Chabot, Morrisey,
Bouchard, Weegar, Dobson, Dunn, Montour)

Skinner
Hill
(Binnington, Thompson)

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Last mock for the summer. Skinner in line to start, Lafrenière draws in for Verhaeghe. Stacked team and more solid picture around goaltending with Skinner’s good finish to the playoffs

Hyman-McDavid-Bédard
Johnston-Point-Lafrenière
Stone-Thomas-Reinhart

(Horvat, Byfield, Stamkos, Suzuki, Jarvis, Konecny, Marner, Barzal, Hagel, Verhaeghe, Scheifele)

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Harley-Doughty

(Power, Chabot, Morrisey,
Bouchard, Weegar, Dobson, Dunn, Montour)

Skinner
Hill
(Binnington, Thompson)
Good job, as always, but I don't like Marchand on the first line - he's aging very quickly. I know you're not a big fan of Verhaeghe but I love him in Marchand's slot. With CV we get more size, much younger legs and clutch - altho Marchand is certainly "clutch".

Reactions: Mathieukferland

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know posters worry about the lack of superstar flash on Team Canada but it was Canadians, not Tkachuk or Barkov, who came thru with Florida's scoring in Game 7. Of course, Edmonton was 75% Canadian.

The team we send in 2026 will be a nice mix of young and old - although, I wish we had more players in the sweet spot of 25 - 29. Once we get past 2026's Best on Best, we have a TON of talent on the horizon so NO worries there.

Anything can happen in a "one game and out" but if you had to bet on one team to win (Best on Best), would you really bet against our group?

Final stats for the playoffs...

Top 25 in Playoff Scoring...

14 Canadians
4 Finns
3 Americans
2 Swedes
1 German
1 Russian

If the 2020-2024 drafts were like 2016-2019, I'd be concerned but there's a sick amount of Canadian talent in the pipeline. Enough to carry us for a decade plus.

My final team...

Hyman-McDavid*-Johnston
LAF-MacKinnon-Thomas*
Reinhart-Crosby*-Point
Verhaeghe-Stamkos*-Marner
Horvat*

* Take Faceoffs

Options : Barzal/Jarvis/Stone/Scheifele/RNH/Byfield/Bedard/Bennett/Tavares/Suzuki/Sillinger

Toews-Makar
Morrisey-Dobson
Theodore-Montour
Harley-Tanev
Doughty/Bouchard

Skinner
Hill
Binnington.

Captain : McDavid
A's : MacKinnon, Crosby, Makar

According to Bob MacKenzie's final Draft list, 18 of his Top 32 1st round draft picks in 2024 are Canadian. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Any outsiders for next season? Players below are somewhat prominent among U26-players. Under what circumstances would they knock on the door to NT?

Pierre-Luc Dubois?
Jordan Kyrou
Dylan Cozens
Drake Batherson
Gabriel Vilardi
Morgan Frost
Dawson Mercer
Owen Tippett
Dylan Guenther?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Any outsiders for next season? Players below are somewhat prominent among U26-players. Under what circumstances would they knock on the door to NT?

Pierre-Luc Dubois?
Jordan Kyrou
Dylan Cozens
Drake Batherson
Gabriel Vilardi
Morgan Frost
Dawson Mercer
Owen Tippett
Dylan Guenther?
I'm a Jordan Kyrou fan. Cozens, too - he was great at the World Championships but average in the NHL last year. Mercer and Guenther could easily break out.

PLD is considered too soft.

Drake Batheson has ZERO chance because, well, you know.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I'm a Jordan Kyrou fan. Cozens, too - he was great at the World Championships but average in the NHL last year. Mercer and Guenther could easily break out.

PLD is considered too soft.

Yah, Canada have a lot of players still evolving and you can chose strategy after material.

In Dubois and Marners case are there two linemates to be chosen that cover up the deficiencies respectively? If you let PLD fly up and down the corridor with his 100 kilos (kees in the world of stimulantia) and let the poor opponent face Horvat (98K) and Wilson (100K) further on.

Or pair Marner with MacKinnon and McDavid etc...

Marner, Point and Bedard are the only "small" players on my team. The rest are heavy (like the WC team) and fast and dangerous and all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Imgoingtowork

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

You seriously mean the guy hasn´t been nicknamed "The Chiropractor" yet? :)

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Good job, as always, but I don't like Marchand on the first line - he's aging very quickly. I know you're not a big fan of Verhaeghe but I love him in Marchand's slot. With CV we get more size, much younger legs and clutch - altho Marchand is certainly "clutch".

Four pounds lighter than Marchand. Ten pounds lighter than Erik Karlsson. But 3 decimeters longer than Prince and Madonna. But an inch shorter than the asparagus Elias Pettersson.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yah, Canada have a lot of players still evolving and you can chose strategy after material.

In Dubois and Marners case are there two linemates to be chosen that cover up the deficiencies respectively? If you let PLD fly up and down the corridor with his 100 kilos (kees in the world of stimulantia) and let the poor opponent face Horvat (98K) and Wilson (100K) further on.

Or pair Marner with MacKinnon and McDavid etc...

Marner, Point and Bedard are the only "small" players on my team. The rest are heavy (like the WC team) and fast and dangerous and all.
Fair enough. I know it's a tough decision.

Fortunately, we have a lot of players who are skilled AND hard to play against - PLD and Marner are not. Having said that, I still have Marner on my 4th line for PK. Again, it's a tough call. Do you leave all those points behind because they are soft?

You seriously mean the guy hasn´t been nicknamed "The Chiropractor" yet? :)
Huh? You lost me. :)

Four pounds lighter than Marchand. Ten pounds lighter than Erik Karlsson. But 3 decimeters longer than Prince and Madonna. But an inch shorter than the asparagus Elias Pettersson.
:)

CV has earned his spot. To me, other than Bob in net, he was Florida's MVP.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada has had a nice run over the last 5 years. Here are the number of 1st Round Picks per country since 2020 - feel free to correct me if I've made an error.

2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
Average
19​
18​
9​
12​
18​
15.2​
Canada
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
2​
6​
7​
6​
4​
5​
US
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
2​
6​
4​
6​
0​
3.6​
Sweden
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
1​
0​
1​
0​
2​
0.8​
Finland
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
4​
1​
3​
4​
4​
3.2​
Russia
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
0​
0​
3​
2​
0​
1​
Slovakia
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
0​
0​
2​
1​
1​
0.8​
Czechia
2020​
2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
2​
0​
2​
1​
1​
1.2​
Germany

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am TRYING to watch the Copa Canada/Chile game. The diving in insane and blatantly obvious.

How can anyone watch soccer?

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am TRYING to watch the Copa Canada/Chile game. The diving in insane and blatantly obvious.

How can anyone watch soccer?
The atmosphere is great and when a top level play is made it's one of the nicest things in sports but there is serious downtime of boring stretches where practically noting of note happens and what can you say about the diving and fake injury bullshit that is so egregious and on nightly display that hasn't already been said? It's beyond embarrassing.

That is a sport that never would be as popular as it is if it hadn't been able to take such root because of when it was developed and that it is so easy to implement ( open space and a ball) and inexpensive to play.

Overrated big time no matter what the rest of the world would try to have you believe.

• Love

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It’s really gross watching them flop around and pretend, there’s no dignity in it.
I don't get it. Millions (on TV) can see how phony it is, but they do it over and over again - flop around like someone shot them. As you said, don't they have any dignity?

Ask soccer fans and they shrug their shoulders and say, "It's part of the game". I'd be ashamed to be a fan.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The atmosphere is great and when a top level play is made it's one of the nicest things in sports but there is serious downtime of boring stretches where practically noting of note happens and what can you say about the diving and fake injury bullshit that is so egregious and on nightly display that hasn't already been said? It's beyond embarrassing.

That is a sport that never would be as popular as it is if it hadn't been able to take such root because of when it was developed and that it is so easy to implement ( open space and a ball) and inexpensive to play.

Overrated big time no matter what the rest of the world would try to have you believe.
With high def TV reviews, they should say, "Every time you dive, there will be a penalty kick". That would put an end to it.

Anyway, before I derail this thread - assuming I haven't already, I better stop.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
with high def TV reviews, they should say, "Every time you dive, there will be a penalty kick". That would put an end to it.

Anyway, before I derail this thread - assuming I haven't already, I better stop.
Yeah I better stop too.....................soccer diving talk can bring out the worst in me.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad