Are there any American cities that are less desirable to an American who has no connections than Canadian cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
St. Paul comes to mind, but I guess you could live in, or closer to, Minneapolis which is a bit nicer. But heck, it’s no Vegas or Fort Lauderdale/Miami.

The question is: Is it still preferable to a place like Winnipeg, or does it lack the ridiculous pressure of playing in a market like Toronto or Montreal? Heck even the other Canadian cities, you probably can’t walk down the street without being recognized/harassed.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
St. Paul comes to mind, but I guess you could live in, or closer to, Minneapolis which is a bit nicer. But heck, it’s no Vegas or Fort Lauderdale/Miami.

The question is: Is it still preferable to a place like Winnipeg, or does it lack the ridiculous pressure of playing in a market like Toronto or Montreal? Heck even the other Canadian cities, you probably can’t walk down the street without being recognized/harassed.

I assure you, nobody in Calgary cares enough about the Flames to “harass” players.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I assure you, nobody in Calgary cares enough about the Flames to “harass” players.
I was just thinking about the “McDavid goes to buy beer” thread from a few weeks back lol. The Flames’ problem seems more organizational to me. Old building with old facilities, owner that just wants playoff revenue, Darryl Sutter going off the rails, etc.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Yeah basically the answer to the thread would be "most" without knowing anything else. It depends on what the player wants.
Yeah I would imagine that once you get past

- tax advantages
- weather advantages
- city that never sleeps/nightlife advantages

Most other markets offer a lot of “the same”.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are amazing cities.

It’s not the city, it’s the microscope.
Adding to this, the microscope isn't from the fans, it's almost entirely the media, and even then only around game-time. Canadian markets might have 20 reporters packed into the dressing room versus three or four in smaller American markets. But in between games nobody's stalking hockey players in Canada. Players will be contacted for interviews and sponsorships, but I'd guess that would go through agents or the org.

As for fans, from decades of personal observation I'd say 99% are respectable and would never harass a player. I've bumped into Beliveau and Gainey, had a few restaurant encounters with Lafleur, Robinson, and Carbonneau, and never once saw anyone invade their space or even sneak a selfie. Most I've seen is a handful of fans wave and smile.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So with all the drama of Americans refusing to play in Canada, what are some American cities that are even less desirable if said American doesn't have a connection there?

Three I can think of are Detroit, Buffalo, and Columbus.

America's fastest growing city, top 5 for young professionals?

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024

Interesting, but this article focuses primarily on housing affordability, which is probably not a big problem for decent enough NHL players.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Don’t some Canadian players not want to play in Canada? It’s got to be a combination of the apparent media negativity and that small percentage of fans who overdo it which are in much smaller supply in thr US. That aside I’m sure there are players who would enjoy playing in Toronto over a smaller US place they perceive as not being nice in the winter.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I think it has more to do with the fans/media than the actual city. Montreal, TorVancouver seem like great places. But…see the McDavid beer video lol.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Columbus is a lot like Edmonton.

Rapidy growing mid-sized city, big well-regarded public university, government town, great affordability and cost-of-living.

But not a "cool" place for young millionaires. What regular folks find attractive isn't necessarily the same as what prof athletes are into.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Winnipeg isn't really comparable IMO. The Twin Cities are just sooo much larger. I used to live in Winnipeg and it really does feel small market - even compared to other Canadian cities like Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa. MSP is on another level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
St. Louis might make someone's no-fly list.
What people always seem to forget when these threads pop up from time to time is people with money are very rarely if ever are going to be exposed to the most negative parts of the cities they choose to live in. Pro hockey players in St. Louis are going to live in Ladue, Wildwood, Chesterfield, Clayton, Town & Country, etc. Not Walnut Park or East St. Louis. It's the same with other cities.

As for the premise of this thread, I think it's misguided. Are there many American UFAs that choose to sign in Canada? No, but there aren't many Canadians that do either. We're only talking about this because of the McGroarty situation, and that has nothing to do with Winnipeg the city. It's more of an opportunity/playing time situation. They have in fact had good success with American players over the years and don't seem to have a problem resigning them.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I bet if the GTA had a second team it would be more desirable than most US cities the NHL really screwed up that one.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Columbus is a lot like Edmonton.

Rapidy growing mid-sized city, big well-regarded public university, government town, great affordability and cost-of-living.

But not a "cool" place for young millionaires. What regular folks find attractive isn't necessarily the same as what prof athletes are into.

There are a lot of cities like that. Great places to go to school or raise a family, but not very ideal (boring) for young professionals with millions to throw around.

Reactions: Zenos

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What people always seem to forget when these threads pop up from time to time is people with money are very rarely if ever are going to be exposed to the most negative parts of the cities they choose to live in. Pro hockey players in St. Louis are going to live in Ladue, Wildwood, Chesterfield, Clayton, Town & Country, etc. Not Walnut Park or East St. Louis. It's the same with other cities.

As for the premise of this thread, I think it's misguided. Are there many American UFAs that choose to sign in Canada? No, but there aren't many Canadians that do either. We're only talking about this because of the McGroarty situation, and that has nothing to do with Winnipeg the city. It's more of an opportunity/playing time situation. They have in fact had good success with American players over the years and don't seem to have a problem resigning them.
This is especially true the older a player is. All of these cities have nice suburbs. Only a few NHL cities have notable nightlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad