Are the Rangers too soft?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I don't understand, we were the toughest team in the NHL last year. Physically dominated the Bruins a couple of times last year. What has happened?

Lost guys that hit every game - Prust, Dubi, Artie, Feds etc. Those guys along with players we still have made up alot of physical play.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Lost guys that hit every game - Prust, Dubi, Artie, Feds etc. Those guys along with players we still have made up alot of physical play.

Artie didnt hit crap, and Feds is toast.

too much revisionist history going on here.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Sad state of affairs here.

How do we even rebuild this into a hard team. I don't know where to start.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
85643.jpg

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Artie didnt hit crap, and Feds is toast.

too much revisionist history going on here.

Artie played a tough game on the boards, he didn't have toughness but physically he's strong in areas of the ice.

Feds played his role well for the team.

None of this qualifies as revisionist, these are known facts.

Ranger Angst

May 3, 2009
Montreal
They miss Prust & Dubi. This team has no spark . I was at the game tonite & the only physical players were Cally , McDonough & Girardi. I would love them to buy out Richards & sign Getzlaf. sad sad night.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
Gonna need to make a trade for someone who can play hockey, throw hits, and throw some punches when necessary. Someone like Colby Armstrong (though I don't like the dirtiness of his game) or Curtis Glencross. (thought i hate him for his hit on Drury)

But hey, that's what you want on your team. Players that other fanbases are gonna hate.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Gonna need to make a trade for someone who can play hockey, throw hits, and throw some punches when necessary. Someone like Colby Armstrong (though I don't like the dirtiness of his game) or Curtis Glencross. (thought i hate him for his hit on Drury)

But hey, that's what you want on your team. Players that other fanbases are gonna hate.

Do Not get Colby Armstrong.

Repeat: No Colby Armstrong.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

can't speak for the other players, but Habs fans sure love Prust, 100% team player, willing to do whatever it takes. he's been awsome for us so far.

Didnt know him all that much as it's hard to understand how some players of that type are more important tha others by seeing them only twice or 3x a year.

But as a Habs fan it's clear as day, Prust wasnt replaced on your team.

People can say those type of players, mostly 3rd and 4th liners are dime a dozen, but some clearly bring more to a team, Prust is one of those.

Last time a Habs got boarded (Eller) he jumped right away - without any hesitation whatsoever on 6'8 / 250 pounds Joe Finley. And it wasnt the first time he did so to protect a fellow (Habs) teammate.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
They're soft in terms of not being difficult to play against anymore. We're not making anyone's lives difficult. We're not getting in on the forecheck and finishing hits. We're not winning battles, in either end. We're not a team you don't want to play against, physically. And we're not doing diddly offensively to make up for it. Unless you're going to be a high flying, dangerous offensive team, you'd better be tough to play against. We're neither.

Am I going to call Dan Girardi soft? McDonagh? Staal? Callahan? Hagelin? Miller? No. But overall? Yeah, we're not getting it done for my buck.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
They're soft in terms of not being difficult to play against anymore. We're not making anyone's lives difficult. We're not getting in on the forecheck and finishing hits. We're not winning battles, in either end. We're not a team you don't want to play against, physically. And we're not doing diddly offensively to make up for it. Unless you're going to be a high flying, dangerous offensive team, you'd better be tough to play against. We're neither.

Am I going to call Dan Girardi soft? McDonagh? Staal? Callahan? Hagelin? Miller? No. But overall? Yeah, we're not getting it done for my buck.

Let's be more accurate. In the first period, nobody can deny that the Rangers forechecked hard, and actually controlled play by a small margin overall.

Don't forget that. The question is, why did that level of play not be sustained? Seriously, that is the question. We know what this team can do, but why does that level of play, that commitment, just fall off and disappear?

They had a chance to raise themselves up by rallying around themselves after McDonagh was put out of the game. They did not rise to the occasion. After that, it was just going through the motions, waiting for the game to end.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I think they're too soft to play the system they're trying to play.

Well, not necessarily 'soft', just not capable like they were last year. We lost a LOT of grit in Mitchell, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, and Prust. I love Halpern and I think he's been excellent, as has Powe, but the rest of their 'replacements' have not brought what these players brought. I think Asham has been OK, looked good a few times, looked out of place a few times. Pyatt had a good start but he's been invisible the past 10 games or so, he's not using his size to his advantage and he's been weak on the puck. We didn't really even bring in a replacement for Dubinsky, I guess Miller would be that guy, but he hasn't really shown that he's got the edge that Dubinsky had.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Yes, and they don't even stick up for each other which is most important. I feel like they don't even talk to each other before, after, and between games.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
As I have mentioned, my expectations were too aggressive.
By no means did I not know what Prust, Fedotenko, Artesimov and Dubinsky do.

Point 1 - I expected Brad Richards to be a carryover of last year's late season and playoffs.
Point 2 - I expected Kreider to be in the lineup on a regular basis, and progressing.
Point 3 - I expected Nash to be a great player, same as always.

I am fully, 100% correct on Point 3, but the team itself is less than what we had last year. And yes, I am a bit surprised.

and, back to my regular programming: they showed no balls tonight, and did not stick up for McDonagh. All I see is Pacioretty's sh!tty grin.

Heyoooo*

Well there were legitimate depth concerns after acquiring Nash that are more apparent now than ever.

Dubinsky and Prust didnt bring much skill to the table but you never underestimate "glue guys" and guys with heart that worked hard.

Dubinsky Anisimov and Prust were all guys that had/have an exceptional two way game that worked well here and were great on the forecheck.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
All summer people downplayed the roles that Dubi and AA played on this team. Prust too, to a lesser extent.

With Nash hurt we're just last year's team without the depth and toughness. With Nash playing we're last year's time with a bit more scoring and less toughness.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I have to laugh about how I called him Artesimov (beer effect) but I really thought about the absence of Artem the most.
Perhaps, I had all this solved on paper, and not on the ice.

Anyway, damnit, these injuries are really not helping things.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
are these the same people that wanted Rupp gone? That guy cant skate but he could of gooned up. I rather go with what they have now............losing Dubi and Prust hurts toughness but Asham is a tough guy and Bickel sucks but he will fight

I think they can prove everyone wrong, this is still pretty close to the same team as last yr

chip chipperson*

for once id like to see one of our guys do something borderline. not suspension worthy, but maybe an elbow or boarding call to a significant player on another team. maybe the team could rally around that. a dirty game could wake us up.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
are these the same people that wanted Rupp gone? That guy cant skate but he could of gooned up. I rather go with what they have now............losing Dubi and Prust hurts toughness but Asham is a tough guy and Bickel sucks but he will fight

I think they can prove everyone wrong, this is still pretty close to the same team as last yr

I hear you Vitto, and yes, I wanted Rupp gone and am still happy with that. My point is not about gooning, it is about fighting.
Any player can fight, they don't have to be registered as a 'goon', they can simply be angry and want revenge. Very cool to see a player get mad and go commanche on the opposition. That's what counts, emotion.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
All summer people downplayed the roles that Dubi and AA played on this team. Prust too, to a lesser extent.

With Nash hurt we're just last year's team without the depth and toughness. With Nash playing we're last year's time with a bit more scoring and less toughness.

On paper. We're not actually scoring more. Honestly, it's not early anymore and I think it's fair to assess what we're looking at by now and not feel like we're jumping the gun. There is not a single area in which this team looks as good as, or better than, it looked last year. Not one. Our entire offense, not just in it's role of generating offense, but our entire forward core with regards to the transition game, the forecheck, play in our own end, penalty killing, etc. (and obviously, scoring goals and playing on offense) looks to have taken a very large and significant step backwards. The defense and Henrik don't seem to be able to make up for it. We look like a bad hockey team this year. And we're boring as all hell. Most nights I start the evening with the Rangers game on and, without noticing it, end the night watching a different game because the hockey is just much better and the game is much more enjoyable and entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $110.00