Are the Panthers' issues over?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I dunno...I have pics on my phone from a friend that was there (happy to share, but they usually show up HUGE on the site) and in the lower bowl I see a major see of red and white with a speckle of blue.

Overall...this thread is ridiculous.

If you wish I'd be happy to take a look - and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I've got no dog in this fight.

But I'm saying - the pics I saw - when you zoom in a lot of what looks red at first turns out to be orange...

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
I'm interested to see how much the team made over the past two finals runs. Figure they had 6 Finals games and and 16 other.playoffs games since last year. They should have made plenty to keep them in the green for several years

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
So much Orange. Yes, an absolute sea of Oilers fans. Definitely forty to fifty per cent.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-26 164938.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 164938.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 2

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So much Orange. Yes, an absolute sea of Oilers fans. Definitely forty to fifty per cent.

So pic is blurry past a few rows out so hard to make out anything in the wider lower bowl.

From what I can make out the number of Oilers jerseys is not definitely not 40-50% (in this section - but there's still a lot of them...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think the Panthers will be able to build on this. The team competing sky isn’t going away. The 2006 Hurricanes in retrospect were a one off story. They missed in 2004 before the lockout and then missed the two seasons after 2006. The Panthers have been an elite team the least three years and there isn’t a reason to think that will suddenly stop.

The attendance has been increasing each of the past few years. That is going to continue. I don’t think the team will be a sellout every night team because the geographical nature of the market of it being very spread out and the arena being on the outer edges. But they’ll probably fall into the Dallas zone.

Their core is pretty young too, its not like its an older group other than Bob.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I'm interested to see how much the team made over the past two finals runs. Figure they had 6 Finals games and and 16 other.playoffs games since last year. They should have made plenty to keep them in the green for several years
Well it's not just gate revenue (people overestimate the significance of gate revenue in the modern economy)

Success brings media and sponsorship revenue too. It brings eyeballs and eyeballs bring advertisers. People want to invest in a winning concern.

This win may bring them sponsors and minority ownership that can help them weather the next crash. That's ultimately what happened with the Canes, they survived the lean times (barely) thanks partially to the glitz from the 06 win and the fact that Cam Ward existed, and now they're back on the up and up.

Their core is pretty young too, its not like its an older group other than Bob.
Nothing wrong with an older tender. Just ask my Bruins. The only Cup we've won in living memory came when our tender was just about the oldest man on the team (give or take a Mark Recchi or so)

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
How many "real" fans are in Boston?

View attachment 887768
Few things:

1. The Garden had under 15K capacity BUT yes, once Bobby Orr left the Bruins could not sell out playoff games!
2. In 2003 The Bruins drew 13K for a playoff game vs NJ with 17.5 capacity.
3. By 2007 the Bruins had fewer season ticket holders than Atlanta, less than the bare minimum for an expansion team AND the area was half Rangers or Habs.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Few things:

1. The Garden had under 15K capacity BUT yes, once Bobby Orr left the Bruins could not sell out playoff games!
3. By 2007 the Bruins had fewer season ticket holders than Atlanta, less than the bare minimum for an expansion team AND the area was half Rangers or Habs.
And no one was calling for the Bruins to be relocated to Quebec. Yet here we have people voicing concern about the Panthers because of a couple thousand Oiler fans in Sunrise.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Few things:

Exactly.

This myth that only southern teams draw flies when they put out bad product has to stop.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I think the Jets fan should be more concerned about his teams attendance issues then that of the current cup champs.
With the Panthers future secured for at least the next 3-4 seasons, the Winnipeg Jets are probably the most "bubble" team in the league. It's them and Columbus at this point.

So much has to go right for such a tiny market to remain viable, and even if they do, there's voices in the league that are going to state the obvious: however much money you make in tiny Winnipeg or Columbus,, there's more money to be made for the league in one if the big US cities.

I've actually wondered if the Jackets might move to Atlanta at some point. The hilarious irony of a team named after Union troops marching to Atlanta aside, it would be a solid move from a revenue sharing standpoint.

If the Jets went to San Diego they wouldn't even have to change their name, it's a center of naval aviation and IIRC multiple aircraft carriers call the naval base there, home.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
With the Panthers future secured for at least the next 3-4 seasons, the Winnipeg Jets are probably the most "bubble" team in the league. It's them and Columbus at this point.

So much has to go right for such a tiny market to remain viable, and even if they do, there's voices in the league that are going to state the obvious: however much money you make in tiny Winnipeg or Columbus,, there's more money to be made for the league in one if the big US cities.

I've actually wondered if the Jackets might move to Atlanta at some point. The hilarious irony of a team named after Union troops marching to Atlanta aside, it would be a solid move from a revenue sharing standpoint.

If the Jets went to San Diego they wouldn't even have to change their name, it's a center of naval aviation and IIRC multiple aircraft carriers call the naval base there, home.
Why would Columbus leave?

Reactions: Cowumbus

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
I honestly don't see any "bubble" teams right now. Anyone claiming there is a "bubble" team is doing it on almost complete conjecture.

The Winnipeg thread on this board is pretty thorough. It is pretty much defacto the "bubble" team if there has to be one it because its ownership decided to rattle some chains about its recent attendance (which is still nowhere near putting the franchise in jeopardy given how the league's finances are structured). But I legit think there would have to be 3-5 non-competitive years on the ice combined with another attendance decrease for there to be anything remotely worth worrying about.

What people keep missing, and just dropping Columbus into the conversation is proof of this, is that ownership itself has to want to move/sell before anything even gets put on the table. And while there's no doubt Blue Jackets' ownership grumbled about the operations of the team (AKA how it was going on the ice) this year, I've never heard any serious interest from them to sell/move. And why would they? The city gov't loves them.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

The thing is - you have no idea which are the most or least profitable franchise (and to be clear - neither do I).

Determining profitability depends not only on revenue coming in, but expenses coming out (forgive me if this is too simple, but I feel like we need to go there). Teams not only receive HRR (hockey related revenue) but other revenue as well. Just as one example, the Winnpeg Jets receive about $5 mil per year from VLTs located nearby the arena. That money helps to pay down the mortgage on the CLC Centre - and is not part of HRR.

Expenses can be an even greater mystery. The biggest one is often debt servicing - and the amount of debt any one franchise has is not at all public.

It takes extreme circumstances for the league to force a sale - which is why Arizona stayed for so very, very long. No owner wants to set the precedent that the league can easily force a sale. So that's why, even if theoretically moving the Jets to Houston might be more profitable (and I'm not sure it would) the league would never force a move. Because once you set that precedent then any franchise can be forced to sell.

Generally speaking, now that Arizona has FINALLY been moved - it's hard to say what might be the most "on the bubble" franchise. If you want to go by attendance the bottom three are San Jose, Buffalo, and Winnipeg. I don't think any of them are moving though. If you want to go by revenue (according to Forbes) the lowest are Ottawa, Columbus and Florida. I don't think any of them are moving either. (this excludes Arizona for obvious reasons - they were at the bottom of both lists).

Those of us at BOH were somewhat spoiled by the Arizona story - it was so obvious, and so public, for so very, very long. The next relocation though is more likely to be like Atlanta - nobody saw it coming until a few months before it happened, because it was all behind the scene machinations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad