Are the Calgary Flames a bottom 5 team without Markstrom?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are the Calgary Flames a bottom 5 team without Markstrom?

• Yes

Votes: 97 66.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 33.1%

• Total voters

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I have a feeling they will tease us all, and stay in that #7-9 spot all year.
Close enough to 10 to cause Flames fans stress, and give Montreal fans hope.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think that if Dan Vladar starts 40+ games for the Flames, the record will not be pretty

Bond

May 10, 2012
I have a feeling they will tease us all, and stay in that #7-9 spot all year.
Close enough to 10 to cause Flames fans stress, and give Montreal fans hope.
Well I found out today there is some ambiguity in the Florida pick. Some sites have it as top ten protected pick and cap friendly has it as a lottery pick protected. I’m confident the Panthers won’t be a bottom ten team but they could miss the playoffs

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tough to say because I still have a hard time believing ownership isn't going to push Conroy to spend a lot of that cap space they have.

Now spending that money on some cap dumps and receiving assets in exchange would be ideal, but I feel they'll try add guys to keep the team competitive.

Reactions: Figgy44

Bond

May 10, 2012
Tough to say because I still have a hard time believing ownership isn't going to push Conroy to spend a lot of that cap space they have.

Now spending that money on some cap dumps and receiving assets in exchange would be ideal, but I feel they'll try add guys to keep the team competitive.
None of the good UFAs will sign with the Flames anyways

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They are the bottom 5 team with Markstrom

Have you seen their defense?

Their best player is Kadri and their best goal scorer is a middle 6 forward on most teams

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Odds are that will probably be bad enough to draft 6OA again.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Nah, Weegar is gonna be the next Captain. Huberdeau is untradable, just gotta hope he figures it out.

Coleman likely traded next year, Kadri I have no idea what that trade even looks like. Other team pretty much has to hope he goes on LTIR in a few years haha

Nothing about Kadri’s injury, history, productions, skating, overall fitness, general mindset and professionalism indicates he won’t be an effective NHLer for the duration of this deal.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Nothing about Kadri’s injury, history, productions, skating, overall fitness, general mindset and professionalism indicates he won’t be an effective NHLer for the duration of this deal.
I mean he hasn't slowed down at all yet but over 35 players are hard to predict

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Conroy's goal over the next few seasons will be to trade: Huberdeau, Kardi, Coleman, possibly even Weegar since he'll have the most value. Its the only way to go at this point after Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and now Markstrom leaving.
Sure but every team would try to shed older guys that aren't worth their contracts or won't be around when the team is in contention again, it's called asset management.

Also if I were the Flames I would be trying to trade Kuzmenko and hide his faults before the trade deadline.

Calgary did well today.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Sure but every team would try to shed older guys that aren't worth their contracts or won't be around when the team is in contention again, it's called asset management.

Also if I were the Flames I would be trying to trade Kuzmenko and hide his faults before the trade deadline.

Calgary did well today.
I honestly don't think they're going to trade the long contract guys.

Kuzmenko - gone
Mangiapne - gone
Sharangovich - 50/50

Backlund/Coleman/Andersson - who knows, probably up to them.

Everyone else is staying.

If the defense looks remotely competent this year I wouldn't be surprised if they start plugging holes with cap space next year.

Reactions: wetcoast

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I mean he hasn't slowed down at all yet but over 35 players are hard to predict

He’s a great skater and he’s 200 lbs with no history of leg injuries.

It’s true, older guys are tough to predict - guys like Kadri stay productive and relevant.

And the cap is going to be north of $100M when his deal expires - it’s really not a problem.

And they should try and keep Kuzmenko if at all possible.

a few, i stand corrected

One.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s a great skater and he’s 200 lbs with no history of leg injuries.

It’s true, older guys are tough to predict - guys like Kadri stay productive and relevant.

And the cap is going to be north of $100M when his deal expires - it’s really not a problem.
Hard to say on Kadri as I've always liked him but father time.

And they should try and keep Kuzmenko if at all possible.
Even as a Canucks fan I don't hate Calgary enough to wish this on them.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll say no. I think they pull off a Flyers 2023-24 type of season if Wolf is anything like what many Flames fans expect him to be. I do not think Markstrom is particularly great either.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
They were a bottom five team WITH Markstrom.

I wouldn't be surprised if they place last next season.
Ducks, Sharks, Blackhawks, Coyotes, Bluejackets.

I just named 5 worse teams this season. Calgary was contending for the wildcard the majority of the season, which puts them on the lower end of middle of the pack.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

I just named 5 worse teams this season. Calgary was contending for the wildcard the majority of the season, which puts them on the lower end of middle of the pack.

they vastly overachieved. they're gonna be even worse next season.

Bond

May 10, 2012
No they weren't....
They were after the deadline. They have a bottom ten forward core, a bottom 5 dcore, and a bottom 5 tandem now.

Looks at Calgary's point percentage after the deadline. It was bottom three

I could see a team taking Kadri and Coleman for cheap. Weegar would have value.
Hubderdeau is the real anchor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad