Are the 2024-2025 Edmonton Oilers the biggest preseason cup favourites of all time?

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I'm an Oilers fan and I wouldn't even call us the top favourite TBH. We need to upgrade #4D still. I would throw us into a mix with about 4 teams

Most overrated team, yes. Literally have 2.5 good players and all these moronic "hockey experts" think they're going to win. Hysterical.
What an absolute horrendous take lol

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Literally every article I've read it's been Oilers all across the board. I don't recall seeing one team being such an overwhelming preseason favourite. Can you?
Canadian press trying to will it so, but here is the roster.

I see a crappy bottom line, weak in net, bad bottom 3 defenders, older roster, lacks speed and lost a lot of playoff grit. Any injury to a core player like Ekholm, RNH or Hyman will crater them.

And they are coming off a very long and ultimately disappointing season with a built in let down about to unfold.

Oilers are a playoff team. But overwhelming anything? Absolutely not. This is a team with a lot of holes in it, no depth, it's old and now it's pretty slow. And their goalie is suspect.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Canadian press trying to will it so, but here is the roster.

I see a crappy bottom line, weak in net, bad bottom 3 defenders, older roster, lacks speed and lost a lot of playoff grit. Any injury to a core player like Ekholm, RNH or Hyman will crater them.

And they are coming off a very long and ultimately disappointing season with a built in let down about to unfold.

Oilers are a playoff team. But overwhelming anything? Absolutely not. This is a team with a lot of holes in it, no depth, it's old and now it's pretty slow. And their goalie is suspect.

It's a salary cap world every team has a lot of holes on it.

Florida's bottom 3/4/5/6 D is not great either, Dallas' is unimpressive too (Dumba has been cooked for a while, he had a higher minus rating at -18 than actual points at 12, lol).

You need to have a coaching system that gets those pieces to buy into a system.

The last team that was genuinely "loaded" up and down the roster was maybe the 2022 Avalanche and that's only because MacKinnon was on a contract steal which is now over. Since then they've been nowhere near as deep or dominant.

The name of the game is having a top end that is good enough to blow games open while having a coaching staff that is good enough to make due with the lesser pieces. No one is getting like 3 great lines + a d-corps that's like 4-5 legit deep + great goaltending in this league.

Reactions: Regal

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I feel like the 2012-13 Blackhawks were heavy favorites, pretty much everyone was expecting them to dominate and then they did.

Also Tampa Bay the next season after they won the bubble cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad