Are players allowed to wear watches during games or do the rules say „watch out“?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I've wondered this too when I see necklaces. I'm really surprised the NHL doesn't have a "no jewelery or watches" policy. There's no point to wearing them, but the potential for an accident is real. Imagine a necklace falling off, a guy skates over it and gets injured.
Absolutely tiny chance of happening compared with, say, skating over a broken stick. It's a sport where players are moving at 30 miles an hour with blades on their feet and hitting each other is encouraged. Risk is part of it, and as significant risks go, that simply isn't. Debris on the ice is relatively common and easily dealt with.

I think there's a difference between a fitbit and a rolex here......would probably be a safe bet that any NHLer would have a fitbit on to maybe track cardio, or heartrate, that sort of thing.

Surprised I haven't seen it more often.
I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of them wear chest strap or arm strap health monitors under their gear, which are generally a whole lot more accurate.

Nov 24, 2006
Absolutely tiny chance of happening compared with, say, skating over a broken stick. It's a sport where players are moving at 30 miles an hour with blades on their feet and hitting each other is encouraged. Risk is part of it, and as significant risks go, that simply isn't. Debris on the ice is relatively common and easily dealt with.
Sticks, skates, and mouthguards are part of the sport though. They need to be there. Necklaces?

Ive never seen it happen, and the risk is small, i just think it’s odd there is no policy.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I've wondered this too when I see necklaces. I'm really surprised the NHL doesn't have a "no jewelery or watches" policy. There's no point to wearing them, but the potential for an accident is real. Imagine a necklace falling off, a guy skates over it and gets injured.
alot of players wear crosses so it would be interesting if they tried to take that away i doubt it

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Players should be more worried about scratching their watches during games. Expensive toys to be replacing often if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad