Are players allowed to wear watches during games or do the rules say „watch out“?

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Risk of injury? He's not fabricating stuff or running machinery. I don't think injury is a concern in this case.

Great Makohead Shork

Apr 25, 2022
Freak things happen. Last year during a game a coach's ring got caught between two glass panels and his finger popped off.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
A “Whoop” looks like a watch

I know quite a few NHL players wear them
Boeser, coyle, killorn, Marchand etc etc wear them for tracking a variety of health metrics

Ekblad says he uses it for tracking performance and metabolic data when trying to find the ideal calorie intake before games and stuff like that.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Why in the hell would you wear a $100-200,000 watch to a game? Even the eight figure guys feel that hit.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Why in the hell would you wear a $100-200,000 watch to a game? Even the eight figure guys feel that hit.

I think there's a difference between a fitbit and a rolex here......would probably be a safe bet that any NHLer would have a fitbit on to maybe track cardio, or heartrate, that sort of thing.

Surprised I haven't seen it more often.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
A “Whoop” looks like a watch

I know quite a few NHL players wear them
Boeser, coyle, killorn, Marchand etc etc wear them for tracking a variety of health metrics

Ekblad says he uses it for tracking performance and metabolic data when trying to find the ideal calorie intake before games and stuff like that.
A lot of players in various sports leagues are wearing Whoop now. It's probably the best fitness tracker out there right now.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I would imagine the whoop type bracelet are more made with sport-impact injury risk than wedding ring or regular old watch.

Nov 24, 2006
I just saw that Nico Sturm is wearing what I suppose is an Apple Watch during the game.

Is that within the rules? What about risk of injury?

And have you ever noticed that before?
I've wondered this too when I see necklaces. I'm really surprised the NHL doesn't have a "no jewelery or watches" policy. There's no point to wearing them, but the potential for an accident is real. Imagine a necklace falling off, a guy skates over it and gets injured.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
If monitoring heart rate and other biometric are deemed necessary, there plenty of devices that would be more safe both for the players that wears it and for others.

The sport is dangerous enough to not introduce other cosmetic elements even if the chances for injury are slim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad