Confirmed with Link: Arbitration Avoided, Bratt Signs for 1 year, $5.45 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJ Devil

Jul 22, 2022
Eh, I still think this is more of him wanting a deal closer to UFA than anything else. Next year if they offer him a 8 year deal it'll be buying more UFA years at a higher clip.
Which is even more reason for Bratt to ask for even less term

Theres no getting through to the 'he is buying time for a 6-8 years deal at his dollars' crowd. They clearly havent a clue about how past cases have gone nor do they acknowledge this has been a Bratt issue since his first negotiation where he was a middling player.

Reactions: Billdo

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
fresh-prince-we.gif
sorry, *you. I’m only like 45ish.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Going to free agency sooner is about maximizing his career earnings. He doesn't have some team he grew up wearing their pajamas of.

If they offer him a deal next summer that matches their expectations on what he would get as a UFA he will resign.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It’s crazy how we are a cap team

Well, we have $12,025,000 tied up in Tatar, Johnsson, and Bernier who will all not be here next season.

Then another $9,708,333 tied up in Haula, Graves, and Severson who will likely be replaced by Haula or someone else on a cheaper contract, Luke Hughes (ELC), and Simon Nemec (ELC) next year.

That's a total of $21,733,333 being freed up at the conclusion of this season. Siegenthaler's raise will take affect, Sharangovich will be due a raise, Bratt will be due a raise, and then Zetterlund, Gritsyuk, Holtz, Nemec, L. Hughes, and others will step up to fill the holes that are left by all the expiring contracts.

Devils are in a great place cap wise. (Though the Palat and Hamilton deals could prove to be anchor contracts in a few years)

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Going to free agency sooner is about maximizing his career earnings. He doesn't have some team he grew up wearing their pajamas of.

If they offer him a deal next summer that matches their expectations on what he would get as a UFA he will resign.

He might actually. Sweden has a big community of NHL fans.

f***, he could be dreaming of playing in LA or frickin' Edmonton for all we know.

Wolf Stansson 30

Former Gunnar Stahl 30
Jan 4, 2018
I think it's a smart deal from the Devils management side. I echo exactly what Bryce tweeted. It's a "show me you can do it again" contract. And he still ends up an RFA at the end of it. It's not a great way to show you are confident in a player and believe they are part of your future, though.

Reactions: glenwo2

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the "show me you can do it again" stuff is nonsense, though...considering they extended both Hughes and Hischier before either of them had any seasons even close to what Bratt just had.

Reactions: glenwo2 and bossram

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Obviously a positive he won’t be UFA but this is probably going to happen again next offseason, he needs a new agent asap
He didn't do bad except for years. He believes in himself and expects to improve, and his improvement will drive next season's $$$ up. His agent did a good job for him if the long term goal is to max dollars. The gamble is not having a bad season.

Wolf Stansson 30

Former Gunnar Stahl 30
Jan 4, 2018
the "show me you can do it again" stuff is nonsense, though...considering they extended both Hughes and Hischier before either of them had any seasons even close to what Bratt just had.
Yea I completely agree. That's why I think it's not a good sign of confidence from management in Bratt and that he is part of the future. If they did think that, they would have given him probably 6x6

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Come on... Hughes and Hischier were first overall picks and the literal faces of this franchise...

Bratt has ONE season of 1st line production. In a historically high scoring year.

I really hate downplaying Bratt, he was superb. But he doesn't have the pedigree of the Hughes or Hischier.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No team is allowing Bratt or any player to take them to the edge of UFA just so they can improve earnings

Are we suggesting to let Bratt walk all over us until arbitration day next year, until we cave at his maximum demand?

Fitzgerald isnt about to let a guy known for hard negotiations make it that far. Either Bratt will come down on his offer mid-season or he will be moved prior to the deadline. The Devils arent about to lose him for nothing and be forced into another 1-year arbitration deal (which is possible since itd have to be team-elected, Bratt wouldnt elect again and cant)

Im really not sure why everyones siding with Bratt here. It was PLAYER-ELECTED arbitration. This is more about what he wants than what we offered.
If Bratt isn’t willing to commit long term, then you trade him next off-season to a team that will meet his demands and he wants to commit to. Same thing Wild did with Fiala (although there’s was more complicated due to their cap recapture penalty).

All things considered, it didn’t make sense for both sides to commit long-term this off-season. Curious to see if it comes out what Bratt was looking for. A big tell would be whether he wanted more money long-term than the Devils would be willing to commit or if he wanted a shorter term to UFA to maximize his earnings.

If it’s a matter off money, I could see the Devils being reluctant to go up somewhere close to 8x8 after one good season. If Bratt has back-to-back PPG seasons, then the Devils can probably justify that next summer. This summer it’s a big stretch.

Reactions: britdevil

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Come on... Hughes and Hischier were first overall picks and the literal faces of this franchise...

and this goes back to what @Triumph mentioned earlier....high picks will always be paid more than late round picks on average, regardless of what the statistics bear out or what each guy deserves.

Now I am not saying that Hughes and Hischier don't deserve what they got or won't live up to it, but if I am Bratt's agent, that is the argument I am making (and I am sure that he probably did so)

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Yea I completely agree. That's why I think it's not a good sign of confidence from management in Bratt and that he is part of the future. If they did think that, they would have given him probably 6x6

No way he was signing that offer. I actually feel the Devils had a better offer on the table than that. Bratt elected for arbitration, not the club.

Every indication was made that he is considered part of the core and that they want him here long term.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I guess it only applies if you're not a #1 overall pick :P

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It's meaningless. This isn't what the team wanted, they wanted him locked up long term at a dollar amount they felt comfortable with.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
We got people all upset about this? They avoided arbitration, they've got more time to try and work something out, we'll see if he wants to stick around or not and respond appropriately. Would much rather see Bratt signed long term, but take things as they come.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
They didn't get to arbitration. I saw a number that of 27 that went to arbitration 20 were with a new team as soon as their contract ended. So if this is true, Bratt didn't hear the bad stuff put together by the Devils for the arbitration. Brett has said be wanted to remain with the Devils.

I am not going to worry about him, I will worry about Blackwood.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Hischier being a 50 point 1C on a bubble playoff team at 18 years old is arguably more impressive than Bratt's season this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad