Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
agreed and I agree he needs to drop the schtick and play to his strengths. that being said, I think MSL yo-yo's him
Well he's not an established player on this team, his spot is not guaranteed and is based on performance as much as it is for anyone not named Matheson, Guhle or Savard (and maybe now even Hutson).

If Struble doesn't play well tonight, then he's most likely out of the lineup for Xhekaj next game.

That's how #6-7 dmen are typically used.

RIght now, that's who AX is.

Jul 6, 2016
Well he's not an established player on this team, his spot is not guaranteed and is based on performance as much as it is for anyone not named Matheson, Guhle or Savard (and maybe now even Hutson).

If Struble doesn't play well tonight, then he's most likely out of the lineup for Xhekaj next game.

That's how #6-7 dmen are typically used.

RIght now, that's who AX is.
Maybe Xhekaj's future is on LW 4th line ????. he is a good skater enough, got a great slapper, can block the goalie’s view, can hit… and can fight when needed. Let's give it a try MSL !

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If we trade this beast because of f***ing MSL, im more than done with this stupid ass team.
1729625106742.gif

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
OR…. The guy has two busted shoulders…. And subpar defensive skills.

His shoulders will be fine. Just needs some time to find his groove and confidence back. Caufield looked like shit last season because of that.

He’s more than capable to be a good reliable third pairing dman. He’s much more better than what he’s shown.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe Xhekaj's future is on LW 4th line ????. he is a good skater enough, got a great slapper, can block the goalie’s view, can hit… and can fight when needed. Let's give it a try MSL !

Arber and Florian... Bash Bros on our 4th line in the future. I wouldn't hate it!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The fact that X can't execute the brilliant defensive system Marty is implementing is no excuse

I mean, let's face it, the defensive system is so simple, so effective that anyone can follow it.

I wonder if Bowman was consulted on it Marty? Because it resembles the finest of what Bowman did.

Get rid of that X bum...

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If we trade this beast because of f***ing MSL, im more than done with this stupid ass team.

Xhekaj is a defenseman with promise, tantalizing physicality, a strong shot, a good ability to break the cycle with his strength/size along the boards, and great toughness.

He's also decently fast for a guy his size when skating in stride, and more offensively-inclined than a lot of bottom-pair enforcer defensemen.

That much is true, and he's still got a lot of time to improve given how few NHL and pro games he's played overall. Moreso considering how long it usually takes for non-elite defensemen to really get their groove and making headway in the NHL.

But we also have to acknowledge that at this point in time Xhekaj lacks the defensive instincts to play a shutdown role in the NHL, that he routinely gets turnstiled by faster forwards along the boards, and that there are some injury concerns on his part given how he's come down with shoulder issues in back-to-back seasons.

Then you add-in Xhekaj often taking undisciplined penalties, not being the greatest handler of the puck nor the most gifted passer, also not having good hockey IQ in the offensive zone, and things become clearer.

Right now, Xhekaj is a bottom-pairing defenseman in the NHL that adds some extra toughness and will fight anyone. He's far from a finished product, but going only by what he shows today, Xhekaj would basically be a more talented and tougher Matt Carkner.

I say all of that but I like Xhekaj. He made miserable seasons more watchable with his toughness. But with all due respect you overrate him quite a bit.

If we end up trading Xhekaj it won't be the end of the word, far from it.

The winger position requires a lot of "stop-and-goes" skating-wise, and Arber's subpar acceleration would hurt him if he made the switch in my opinion.

I really think that if we ever see a "Xhekaj" on our fourth line, that it will be Arber's little brother, Florian, instead of a switched-up Arber.

Which leads me to talk about Florian Xhekaj, whom I've watched all of last season in the OHL as well as this year with Laval and he's been great.

He's MUCH faster than his brother, has grown a LOT heavier over the last 18 months or so, is deceptively skilled with the puck for a grinder, makes plays quickly, and also shares his brother's love for physical and tough play.

To be frank, I'm higher on Florian than I've ever been on Arber.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Oh for FFS. We all love the Sheriff. But we have to admit that he is not a very good D. He brings physicality and a presence this team absoluely needs though. He just doesn't have a spot on the left side for him this season, except as a tweener 6/7/8 D and it surely won't be easier next season. Personally, i think Struble is a more solid D than him and he also can brings physicality.

IMO, we would need both Struble's and Xhekaj's physicality. The only way to do that is Xhekaj on the 4th line.

Reactions: 417

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Xhekaj has good and bad games. He's having the same problem Kotkaniemi did, he was brought up before he was ready because there weren't many other options and because he could fight, when he really needed to solidify his game playing a lot of minutes in the AHL. He's not a lost cause or anything, but he needs to get back to working on his flaws and learning the game. It is tougher than for a lot of other players because habs get absolutely no leeway from refs, ever, so he's going to have to find a way to stay on the ice in spite of player provocations and Ontario refs who are grumpy they can't give the Leafs calls.

Reactions: overlords

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Xhekaj has good and bad games. He's having the same problem Kotkaniemi did, he was brought up before he was ready because there weren't many other options and because he could fight, when he really needed to solidify his game playing a lot of minutes in the AHL. He's not a lost cause or anything, but he needs to get back to working on his flaws and learning the game. It is tougher than for a lot of other players because habs get absolutely no leeway from refs, ever, so he's going to have to find a way to stay on the ice in spite of player provocations and Ontario refs who are grumpy they can't give the Leafs calls.
👍

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
OR…. The guy has two busted shoulders…. And subpar defensive skills.
you mean like half our team? Everyone is broken, 90% of them blow defensively lol.

Everyone healthy blueliner on this team is a -
Savard is a -7 , Future superstar Barron -3
Apply this same argument to our entire team maybe?
Guhle a god at not being in the - columb

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Progress is not linear. He’ll have some more successes and setbacks.
The question i have is...do you keep him on the roster and work with him or send him down? Sitting 2 games in a row has to be the max length. If he isn't able to play currently...then what?

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
The question i have is...do you keep him on the roster and work with him or send him down? Sitting 2 games in a row has to be the max length. If he isn't able to play currently...then what?
No one was panicking when Harris and Struble were sitting games out last year. I don’t think it matters too much what happens on a game to game basis. We’ll have more injuries. Struble, Mailloux, Barron might struggle and need a night off. Savard might not get his game shape back and start rotating out as well. Even Hutson is not a lock to play every game this year.

In any case we have 2 games in 2 nights next weekend so I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get in at least 1 game this week. In the meantime he still gets to practice with the team and hopefully improve so I’m sure Xhekaj isn’t complaining too much.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I doubt he gets a shot at forward this year since he can always go to Laval and work on his D if needed. However it should be seriously considered if he can’t at least cement his spot on the bottom pair by the time he becomes waiver eligible.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Why are people talking about him being moved all of a sudden ? I might be wrong, but he seems highly valued by both management and his teammates.

Reactions: Habnot

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Xhekaj is still only 23. He'll be hitting his prime in like 5 years.

If we can find a way to be patient, and hold on to him, the upside is 100% worth it.

Xhekaj also needs to be better. Next game he's in the lineup he should come out flying, not playing scared to lose his job.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Why are people talking about him being moved all of a sudden ? I might be wrong, but he seems highly valued by both management and his teammates.

Same as always : George Laraque is continuously beating the drum on radio that MSL hates Xhekaj's guts and that he will be forced out of the market. Add an emotionally insecure fanbase, a losing team in a rebuild and a 24/7 media market, you have that ''news'' cropping up every now and then in the media.​

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Same as always : George Laraque is continuously beating the drum on radio that MSL hates Xhekaj's guts and that he will be forced out of the market. Add an emotionally insecure fanbase, a losing team in a rebuild and a 24/7 media market, you have that ''news'' cropping up every now and then in the media.​

Management hates his guts so much that they drafted his brother and gave him a spot outright after training camp.

He'll get benched as he's still young and needs to refine his defensive game. But this is true of Barron and Struble too. Even Hutson could see the press box, though that would surprise me.

Reactions: Leto and Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad