Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is what I wrote on another site and it had to do about team toughness...

‐-----------

Wait WHAT? Were did all of these violence vox populi come from?

I'm gonna need a bigger bandwagon...and don't worry, all my screws are loose and will be happy to be your Captain Unhinged

Honestly, I don't see on ice "deterrence" anything different then from the neighborhood bullies and violence I grew up in. Until people fear consequences, they wont stop. Worse is if they believe that they can do whatever they want with impunity. Toughness MUST be wide and meaningful. Any perpetrator has to BELIEVE that he will be a target and opposing teams must BELIEVE that we will act.

We had that in spades in our glory teams but the last 30 years we become a corporate entity with more concern about being a saleable "product" then a team on a mission. ALL of it can be traced back to Molson and his "investment". The new management is adding some toughness, but it's hardly on a "deterrence" level. We still depend on ONE individual to make everyone an inch taller.

In the previous game, Domi cross checked Hutson and our "tough guys" like Tuch or Mailman didn't touch him. You think that went unnoticed by the Laffs? Or other teams? On the 76 Habs I can name 8 players who would take multiple revenge on Domi, but not us, not now. If you touched Lafleur, Riseborough, Mario Tremblay, P Mahovelich, Lapointe, Robinson, Bouchard, Chartraw, Awrey would take turns to fight or run you and the rest would target your head with a puck.

THAT is team toughness, not the illusion and one man show we have now.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As for anyone who whines about "violence" and our players protecting themselves, you can move along and watch synchronized swimming or bowling. This team has a history of being tough. Only the last 30 years have we softened, maybe by intent to appease the skinny jean crowd.

Obviously you never saw our lions in winter maul the competition if they had to....and own the Promised Land

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Arber is getting cooked on X today. Oooof…Coming from all corners of hockey commentary. Some even implied he turtled. Lol

I'm not on Twitter, I assume it looks like this?

"MSL needs to keep this psycho under control. They need to play the right way and make them pay on the (non-existant) power play so that they could try and win the meaningless pre-season game, then DoPS will take care of the (non-existent) suspension to a player thats way less important or not in the NHL at all. Maybe, if anything, he could fight the other team's goon at that start of the next game in a predetermined fight that means nothing."

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
One thing I will say, the refs will be looking to get Xhekaj for everything now. His name is in all the hockey news today. Similar to Rempe last year.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He’s an undisputed leader on this club already, as he’s proven many times now that he will take it upon himself to make the other team accountable. You can tell he has a ton of respect from the rest of his teammates.

As many folks have already mentioned, this is a common theme in Habs history. Those that don’t approve of Xhekaj, would have hated John Ferguson. He wouldn’t even speak to the opposition away from the rink, and would go through a player, a wall, beat up some orphans it didn’t matter… and if not for him telling Bobby Clarke to take care of Kharlamov, the Canadians probably lose to the Russians in 72. He would do anything and everything to win, and that’s what he did, won championships.

This is how team identities are created. We finally have a guy that will hold folks accountable if the proverbial line in the sand gets crossed. When that culture of all for one, one for all, takes root, then teams take that next step. Look at those great Habs teams from the 70s - no shrinking violets there. Robinson, Savard, Gainey, Lemaire, Lupien, Risebrough, Tremblay, Jarvis.

I’ve been around a long time, this feels like the birth of something special. Like one player is taking the team by the bootstraps and pulling them into the battle. Of course his current violent streak is unsustainable, but he’s put the league on notice. And you better believe they’re paying attention! Our guys as well - Slaf and Dach getting into it, sticking up for themselves the past two games. It feels like a major culture shift. These guys aren’t the Milquetoast Habs of past years and I’m happy it’s finally looking to end.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
I love the fact that he pisses off Leaf and Sen fans so much. It's really nice to see him stand up for his teammates the way he did. We haven't had that in quite a while. Sure, we had enforcers like Parros and Big George Laraque, but neither of those guys really stepped up and defended their teammates the way the Sheriff did the last two games. Not to mention, the kid has talent. The fact that he didn't get a suspension on that beautiful Stutzle hit is bound to trigger Sens fans :laugh:,

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He'd be the first to tell you that picking his moments is something he's working on. But let's not forget this is preseason, this is absolutely the time to take costly penalties and establish your threat level because the games are essentially meaningless. I have no doubt we will see a more in control Xhekaj during the regular season when the games actually matter.
Yes this is what I'm driving at. I get what he's doing, but he better have discipline when it matters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad