Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I think he should have got 2 games. Point of contact is such a stupid meat head definition. He was looking to hurt Stutzle and those hits shouldn't be in hockey.

If he lines up stutzle and stutzle has the puck, I have no problem. That wasn't a hockey play though, he had a lot of time to at least ease up, but he chose the meat head way.

I love him and I love the truculence but fair is fair.
Gonna disagree. That sets a weird precedent where then you can call any interference or hit in a heated game a suspension. He made no head contact and if you're going to suspend a player because your subjective opinion is you think he meant to hurt the other player then that opens just about every hit to possible suspension.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Sens fans are not the brightest bunch.

Last night, you saw them celebrate that Dach had a small cut and bleeding after the Greig fight as if it meant Greig won. Meanwhile, it was their guy getting punched in the face and taken down. And they also were proud Greig answered the call even though as Struble confirmed, he was challenged a bunch of times and he was cowering away from them all game.

Fans of every fanbase get ****ing stupid, especially online and in the moment.

I'm still in the cool off and no more injuries until the regular season camp, because having shit like this in games when there are literally only moral victories (including who won the game) for both teams is ****ing stupid.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I think he should have got 2 games. Point of contact is such a stupid meat head definition. He was looking to hurt Stutzle and those hits shouldn't be in hockey.

If he lines up stutzle and stutzle has the puck, I have no problem. That wasn't a hockey play though, he had a lot of time to at least ease up, but he chose the meat head way.

The problem is how can it be a hit with intent to injure when there wasn’t even a hit? Xhekaj completely missed Stutzle and just clipped his gloves. Stutzle smashed his own head in with his own stick. Xhekaj was already long gone.

Reactions: Habano

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Gonna disagree. That sets a weird precedent where then you can call any interference or hit in a heated game a suspension. He made no head contact and if you're going to suspend a player because your subjective opinion is you think he meant to hurt the other player then that opens just about every hit to possible suspension.
The problem with penalizing on 'intent' is that it's your personal perceived intent. 'He was trying to hurt him.' You don't know that for sure, ever. You can make a reasonable guess or try to, but that introduces a ton of bias into the process.

Was Greig trying to hurt Dach, or was it just a regular hit that was too late/too high? Was Pare trying to hurt Laine, or was it just a scrub AHL guy not wanting to get walked? Both are dirty plays, but were they intended to be?

Refs penalize on intent sometimes because they're right there on the ice. They can see it happening, hear guys talking, etc. After the fact just watching a slowed down version of the incident, I don't think there's enough there.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, I love the player, but he has to dial it down a bit.

Too important to be unavailable.
Both of these instances were significant enough that required a receipt. He doesn’t do this kind of stuff on a whim.

Shit, do we want this to be a team where the opposition knows they can take liberties and nothing is coming back, ffs.

They need more guys like Wifi.

I am trying to figure out who are the dumbest people on earth. Leafs fans, sens fans, SN panel, or refs? All of the above is an option too.
Some hab fans that are ragging on Wifi.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
:slaugh:

Haters gonna hate, that's what they do~

🧂 😭 🧂

1000006027.jpg

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
A good deterrent would be a prolific, heck even just a solid powerplay. Teams would be more willing to avoid taking penalties (in theory - this would be part of their game plan).

I have to disagree.

The Habs had a prolific PP back in the Kovalev-Markov era and they still went out and got Laraque to be a deterrent.

Reactions: PhysicX

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.

Stutzle would’ve been asleep on the ice if he wanted to hurt him.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I have to disagree.

The Habs had a prolific PP back in the Kovalev-Markov era and they still went out and got Laraque to be a deterrent.
I remember the « team toughness » era. First, a top player was targeted. Then, either another top player would stand up and risk injury or either Tom Kostopoulos would stand up and get the crap kicked out of him. Either way the Bell Center crowd clapped because they knew we couldn’t do better.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

Every f***ing hit is "looking to hurt someone." That's literally the point of hitting. To hurt and wear down your opponents to make the game easier.

If you think Xhekaj was trying to hurt someone long-term, you're absolutely not thinking clearly. Xhekaj wanted to absolutely demolish Stutzle and make him irrelevant in the game at hand. I can pretty much guarantee that Xhekaj isn't trying to seriously injure someone.

If you think hitting should be removed from hockey? Fine. I can accept that honestly. But if you think it should be removed because someone was trying to injure someone? Then contact sports aren't for you.

Reactions: Adriatic

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Both of these instances were significant enough that required a receipt. He doesn’t do this kind of stuff on a whim.

Shit, do we want this to be a team where the opposition knows they can take liberties and nothing is coming back, ffs.

They need more guys like Wifi.
He has to be available. They don’t have anyone like him.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm starting to believe the stories that's why Gorton was canned from NY. He didn't want to build a tougher, bigger team to compete in the division and was booted out. Watching the Devils Rangers last night, they both look well stocked to play any style you want, some big boys out there who can skate on the bottom lines and bang if needed.
Makes no sense, if management had some aversion to size they wouldn't have drafted Slafkovsky with the 1st OA pick, they wouldn't have drafted guys like F. Xhekaj, they wouldn't have had Arber go straight to the NHL from the OHL if they didn't value size/physicality.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Makes no sense, if management had some aversion to size they wouldn't have drafted Slafkovsky with the 1st OA pick, they wouldn't have drafted guys like F. Xhekaj, they wouldn't have had Arber go straight to the NHL from the OHL if they didn't value size/physicality.

Arbs went to the NHL because of a real lack of depth on the blueline, same as Harris, Struble etc. There was a reason Gorts was canned in NY, just some of the stories you hear snooping around I'm not sure if they are true.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I'm starting to believe the stories that's why Gorton was canned from NY. He didn't want to build a tougher, bigger team to compete in the division and was booted out. Watching the Devils Rangers last night, they both look well stocked to play any style you want, some big boys out there who can skate on the bottom lines and bang if needed.

Literally the first player Montreal drafted was a 6'4" winger, in large part because of their size. The team has also targeted players with size in trades and high in the draft.

They also just had a game where they basically went psycho after one questionable hit.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Xhekaj has been on the wrong side of bs for a while.

Remember when he was in junior with Kitchener I believe it was and some guy named Woolley(Jared maybe ?) Beat up someone on Xhekaj's team while he was out and did the "sleeping" pose. Nothing happened to him.

Next game they play Xhekaj knocks him out and got suspended "indefinitely" for it.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Literally the first player Montreal drafted was a 6'4" winger, in large part because of their size. The team has also targeted players with size in trades and high in the draft.

They also just had a game where they basically went psycho after one questionable hit.

It's not the size I'm questioning, its the physical depth players on the bottom end. I'm happy with the top 2 lines, I think the D drops off in physical play after Arbs and Struble pretty fast since we don't know if Logan is stick around or what he brings. Evans, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak etc.. pretty damn soft as well. Mesar, Kapanen, Farrell etc aren't solving the bottom lines lack of physical play either. Pez is not a regular....

I'm not talking about gooning it up, I believe your bottom lines need to be able to skate and control the play physically, soften the other team up. The East is a big division, the Habs need to stay healthy.... our bottom lines need to be beefier and adapt physically.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I just hope he play next game again the Sens so he can live in their head rent free again. It's so funny seeing them lose their minds. And what's even funnier is that they have no one who can do shit about it on their team.

Last edited:

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
How do you get 5 minutes and a game for not touching someone. The refs should be fined or suspended for making the wrong call :popcorn:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
It's not the size I'm questioning, its the physical depth players on the bottom end. I'm happy with the top 2 lines, I think the D drops off in physical play after Arbs and Struble pretty fast since we don't know if Logan is stick around or what he brings. Evans, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak etc.. pretty damn soft as well. Mesar, Kapanen, Farrell etc aren't solving the bottom lines lack of physical play either. Pez is not a regular....

I'm not talking about gooning it up, I believe your bottom lines need to be able to skate and control the play physically, soften the other team up. The East is a big division, the Habs need to stay healthy.... our bottom lines need to be beefier and adapt physically.

There's not really much management can do about bad legacy contracts. Montreal hasn't really had much ability to change the roster meaningfully (without hurting the bigger objectives) and when they have, they've focused on more important areas like the top 6 or D. But Montreal's cap situation is only just now starting to get cleaned up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad