Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
But Odelein could never shoot a puck 100+ mph.

With his on ice presence, physicality, shot, underrated skill set and leadership qualities, Xhekaj could emerge as a core player for the Canadiens this year. If his potential is fulfilled and if he stays healthy, Xhekaj can provide a positive impact for the team that exceeds what Odelein ever did.

They are not the same species.
Exactly I felt a number of our members have already decided what he is despite his age and his continual progression.
Like just about every other prospect we have who are still in ascension.
You would think they would learn given Suzuki's trajectory as a forward when it's universally acknowledged that Dmen will take longer to develop.
Arber has always had a much higher ceiling than Lyle Odeleine.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Exactly I felt a number of our members have already decided what he is despite his age and his continual progression.
Like just about every other prospect we have who are still in ascension.
You would think they would learn given Suzuki's trajectory as a forward when it's universally acknowledged that Dmen will take longer to develop.
Arber has always had a much higher ceiling than Lyle Odeleine.
In his own right though Lyle Odelein had an amazing career. 7th round picks rarely are this good at the NHL level. I believe his brother was a 1st round pick who didn't make it.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They recently asked him to mentor younger players so that tells me they see Arber as a future leader of this team.
I think that it is readily apparent that Xhekaj is already an important leader on the team. So much so that he is probably one of the growing few who is an untouchable in the eyes of Hughes and Co.

Reactions: Tyson and HuGo Sham

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He’s a lot more Souray than Odelein.

Similar build, similar playing styles, Xhekaj is a better skater, both guys can fire the puck like it was shot out of a cannon, both play a mean/physical game and intimidate the opposing team, both guys injured early and often (shoulders, wrists and hands for Souray, shoulders for Xhekaj), both became leaders for the club, both guys with a good sense of humour and self deprecation.

We simply need Xhekaj to develop Souray’s ability to know and understand when it’s time to unleash the pain on the opposing team, and to start using his booming shot more frequently. He’s always been an unpolished gem, just needs to take that next step to reach his enormous potential.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He’s a lot more Souray than Odelein.

Similar build, similar playing styles, Xhekaj is a better skater, both guys can fire the puck like it was shot out of a cannon, both play a mean/physical game and intimidate the opposing team, both guys injured early and often (shoulders, wrists and hands for Souray, shoulders for Xhekaj), both became leaders for the club, both guys with a good sense of humour and self deprecation.

We simply need Xhekaj to develop Souray’s ability to know and understand when it’s time to unleash the pain on the opposing team, and to start using his booming shot more frequently. He’s always been an unpolished gem, just needs to take that next step to reach his enormous potential.
True if he ever develops some of Lyle's characteristics in the D zone it's a huge win IMO.
Odeleine was Mr. Reliable off the glass and made it look simple.

Reactions: HuGo Sham and Tyson

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You kind of need to have seen Odelein plays to understand. Statistically he was nothing special. But man he was a special player. Loved him a lot.
One of my favorites along with Keane and McPhee. Those guys played heavy games.

Reactions: Tyson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
One of my favorites along with Keane and McPhee. Those guys played heavy games.
I was so sad as a young adult when we moved from Muller, Chelios, Odelein, Keane and cie to a more "milk drinking choir" team. Was the end of an era and the team never recovered. I like that size seem to be important to our current management. Two of the three top 5 picks they drafted are tall and they acquired Dach and Laine. They went for big guys after the 5th overall in this draft too. You can have small players like Hutson but you need a few big guys in your team and ideally not all 4th liners. Hope Xhekaj will develop his offensive game Odelein was an enforcer but he could play hockey when needed.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hope Xhekaj will develop his offensive game Odelein was an enforcer but he could play hockey when needed.
I knew a fella who played against Odelein (Regina days) and with/against others like Fleury, Brind’amour, etc … and he said Odelein’s hands were as good as any of the top players.

Not sure if that was the case, but he was later Moose Jaw‘s top point producing D for 3 straight seasons … never top 3 in PIMs, always behind Keane and Fleury.

The PIMs shot up with the baby Habs.
2nd season with Moose Jaw: 70 PIMs;
2nd season with Sherbrooke: 265 PIMs (9 more games).

How this relates to Xhekaj is that he will also do what it takes to set him apart, even if he is skilled.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I knew a fella who played against Odelein (Regina days) and with/against others like Fleury, Brind’amour, etc … and he said Odelein’s hands were as good as any of the top players.

Not sure if that was the case, but he was later Moose Jaw‘s top point producing D for 3 straight seasons … never top 3 in PIMs, always behind Keane and Fleury.

The PIMs shot up with the baby Habs.
2nd season with Moose Jaw: 70 PIMs;
2nd season with Sherbrooke: 265 PIMs (9 more games).

How this relates to Xhekaj is that he will also do what it takes to set him apart, even if he is skilled.
Odelein had great hands, remember when he shot the puck into the Sabres bench on purpose?

• Love
Reactions: overlords and Tyson

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I once fouled a ball right at an opposing team's loud mouth coach in little league and got an ovation from the bleachers. Core memory.
And I am so happy you shared it with us! Awesome!

Odelein did lot of .... sort of questionable things on purpose. Mathieu Schneider and Damphousse too.
It’s what made the Smurf era shortly after those guys even harder to take.

• Love
Reactions: overlords

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe. The only player I think I would have ever bet on winning that sort of height/weight disparity would be Rick Rypien.
Tie Domi.

Chris Nilan wasn't very big. A lot of the super tough players weren't very big.

It helps to be that tough when you fight more in a year than 99.99999% of the players now fight in a career.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad