Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are not wrong but myself I want to see Xhekaj concentrate on hockey. Some teams still emply goons which is hard to comprehend

He did in the 2nd half of last season. No doubt in my mind that it was a conversation MSL and Hughes had with Xhekaj (early in the season). Waivers strategy and also allowing him to play more min's was the reason for his Laval time.

I think Xhekaj knows what his focus should be. If he can't comprehend it, it's on him and he becomes a journeyman D type. If he comprehends it well (which I think he will), he has a shot at top 4D.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There was a game last year where Evans took a cheap shot and Arber was on the ice and didn’t respond. He’s not the meanest.
When you are confused by what your role is this type of stuff happens. Anyone with a lick of sense saw it by just watching the games.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
When you are confused by what your role is this type of stuff happens. Anyone with a lick of sense saw it by just watching the games.
He seemed to have been told to tone it down. But there are limits to that in my mind. I can’t see the coach punishing him for defending a teammate.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He seemed to have been told to tone it down. But there are limits to that in my mind. I can’t see the coach punishing him for defending a teammate.
I think he became so confused that he didn't know what to do. Remember he was demoted after healing from a shoulder injury....

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I can see it with this coach. Still don’t see anything that gives me any confidence that this coaching staff will take Habs to the next level.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
He just needs to play better. I like Xhekaj, but he had some tough moments last season.

There’s no problem with him being physical, it’s just the timing. Sometimes there are better plays to make while defending.

I won’t blame most of the defense for the mistakes made last year, the defensive structure isn’t where great and seems that man to man against NHL caliber players isn’t always easy for young defensemen.

Needs a bridge deal (unless you get a steal of a contract ling term) around 2-2.5 for 2 years. There’s also a lot of competition on that side, he will need to prove himself.

Hopefully he stays healthy.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I don’t like how long it’s taking to sign our boy…….perhaps Arbor is a little disappointed looking at his offer, as compared to his good friend Slaf’s contract?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
true, I should have added a “lol”….however, we have enough cap space to stretch a little. AX, IMHO, will be a force to recon with when he’s 25-30. I really like what I’ve seen with his progression through his young career.
Cheers

Yeah and the team loves him.. I think it's just one of those things trying to figure out how much term he wants vs. money. I'm sure the Habs would love to lock him up long term at a 3.5m but if you're Xhekaj, you might want to bridge.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS and Tyson

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don’t like how long it’s taking to sign our boy…….perhaps Arbor is a little disappointed looking at his offer, as compared to his good friend Slaf’s contract?
I think extending Guhle might very well be their focus right now. If they can get Guhle to sign a team friendly contract as they have done with Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovski perhaps it is easier to get Xhekaj to fall in line and do the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad