Confirmed with Link: Arber Xhekaj Signed 2 years @ 1.3 AAV

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is BS. When he returned from the A he was rejuvenated. He needs to find consistency but when he's at his best he's a force out there.
Guhle and Hutson are ahead of him. However, that doesn’t mean he can’t be a 2nd caliber player who’s on the third pairing. And if there are injuries he fills in.

We’ll see. He brings some really neat tools to the table. Love having him in the lineup.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
After his 2 years bridge, he will be 1 year away from UFA status and will start his new contract at 26 yo. Those physical players who fight alot, try to reach for longer term because they get injured alot and know their career can be shortened. He will absolutely wants to sign at least 5 years.
2 years away. Born 2001.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Considering he had season ending injuries b2b years, bridge makes sense. If he earns the big payday by staying healthy and performing well, so be it.
I don’t think he’ll ever be a big earner but I could be wrong. Hopefully he turns into a valuable depth guy for the long term.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Very happy with cap and term, he's had a bunch of injuries recently and it makes sense to see how he holds up health wise before committing to term, and go him theres added incentive to perform well and get a better contract.

Reactions: sampollock

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I agree that 80's and 90's goon hockey won't come back but intimidation will always be there. Remember when Reaves ragdolled Pezzetta at the Bell Center late last season, that's why Xhekaj is needed.
Let's be honest- Arber Xhekaj will never be a star but he will be a very serviceable bottom pairing Dman whose ability to stand up to the toughest players is vital.
I also know that breaches is barely playing anymore because he’s obsolete. I’m wil
I agree that 80's and 90's goon hockey won't come back but intimidation will always be there. Remember when Reaves ragdolled Pezzetta at the Bell Center late last season, that's why Xhekaj is needed.
Let's be honest- Arber Xhekaj will never be a star but he will be a very serviceable bottom pairing Dman whose ability to stand up to the toughest players is vital.
Reaves gets benched or less than 5 minutes a game now. The same will happen to Rempe unless he shows he can actually play. I get intimidation works. But just like everything else it will have to adapt and evolve. The intimidation will have to become more of a team culture rather than one guy. Each spot is becoming more and more valuable. It’s fine to refer to Rempe and Reaves as tough guys. But which tough guy won a cup recently? Championship teams don’t waste a spot on strictly tough guys. Arber will ha e to improve his D game and be more consistent offensively or else it will be doing a disservice to the success of the team.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Would you have preferred a long-term contract? What did you want?

Xhekaj doesn’t seem like the kind of player who will be worth a lot of money in two years. I don’t see a big gamble with this deal. His offense is limited, at best, and he’s inconsistent in general. He also hasn’t even found his niche yet in the NHL.
As I said I have mixed feelings. D he gets injured again the. The contract will pretty much end and that’s it for him. I’m not one that sees top four in his game so personally I would have probably gone a little longer around that salary. My concern is if he stays healthy but doesn’t progress much then I wonder if we will be overpaying for a bottom pair guy. I have no issues for the contract today. Just projecting down the line based on my view of his development

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
1722381694222.png

a modern day

Gilles Lupien? oh right you punks wouldn't know the Lupe​

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad