Arber Xhekaj Modern Day Bertuzzi Attack

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Literally nothing in that is similar to the Bertuzzi incident.

He has a helmet and Xhekaj has a hockey glove. The potential outcome is at worse some discomfort in your neck muscles.
Steve Moore had a helmet and Bertuzzi had a hockey glove too, and he got 3 fractured neck vertebrae & his career ended. That is obviously not true

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think the comparison is a little exagerated, Xhekaj didn't land a single punch, and it wasn't a sucker punch from behind that made the victim fall on his head. Xhekaj was checking Pare for a couple seconds before he started throwing punch. Also, Pare knew what Xhekaj was doing, so he could protect himself even if he's too much of a coward to engage in the fight.
Bertuzzi was following him tugging his jersey egging him into a fight exactly like this prior to the punch

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Literally nothing in that is similar to the Bertuzzi incident.

He has a helmet and Xhekaj has a hockey glove. The potential outcome is at worse some discomfort in your neck muscles.
Let Xhekaj do it to Larkins or Raymond then and shrug it off as nothing.
That was major pounding from behind.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Bertuzzi blindsided Moore and slammed his head into the ice, Xhekaj was feeding shots to a guy down on his knees.

Neither a good look but very different scenarios

Back of the head is an incredibly dangerous thing. People go into comas and have catastrophic brain injuries.

It wasn’t just jumping a player. That was incredibly dangerous.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Back of the head is an incredibly dangerous thing. People go into comas and have catastrophic brain injuries.

And? Still not comparable to the Bertuzzi incident

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the comparison is a little exagerated, Xhekaj didn't land a single punch, and it wasn't a sucker punch from behind that made the victim fall on his head. Xhekaj was checking Pare for a couple seconds before he started throwing punch. Also, Pare knew what Xhekaj was doing, so he could protect himself even if he's too much of a coward to engage in the fight.

It’s an exaggerated in the sense that the outcome is different but the action is very similar.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Yup. A quick google search will provide some examples of what can happen with a punch to the back of the head. Even innocent looking ones can change someone’s life quickly.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You forget to add some context. In your example did Larkin or Raymond just intentionally injure one of Xhekaj's teamate?
My example was quoting someone stating that a guy wearing a helmet getting pounded by someone wearing gloves is a sore neck at worst.

Reactions: BerthMania

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Reminds me of when Kessel brutally axed at John Scott in a pre-season match and when Sundin spear-chucked his broken stick at spectators in the stands.

Well, not really. Those two were clearly worse.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He absolutely should be suspended for this.

Pare deserved to get his ass beat. But if he’s unwilling you cannot punch a guy repeatedly in the back of the head. If you think that’s acceptable even once then you don’t understand the potential outcome of that action.
Let's see if you say the same thing if Matthews get injured by a random player who then refuses to fight and cowers while getting beat by Reaves.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I'm totally against unjustified violence in the NHL.

But this is 100% on the refs. By not ejecting Paré off the ice after the Laine dirty hit, they are basically telling the players to do their own justice. Totally predictable.

This 2 minutes sequence is everything that's wrong with the NHL. Solve the reffing problem, and you'll solve a big part of the violence problem.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
What did the Leafs player do? Not that I’m blaming the victim, but some context would be insightful
Intentionally took out Laine with a knee-on-knee that is likely - by the look of things - to have him laid up in rehab for the year. From the impact and his reaction, I'd say he's blown both his ACL and MCL (pure speculation - we've heard nothing yet).

Pare should have been ejected for his hit.

Xhekaj should be suspended.

Failure on the referees' part created the situation, but Xhekaj bears full responsibility.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a lot closer than you think in terms of intent. Of course the injuries aren’t the same.

Spend 5 minutes on YouTube and see fighters who got rabbit punched. It’s illegal in all combat sports.

You can kick a guy in the head but can’t do that.
No, it really isn’t a lot closer than I think.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Let's see if you say the same thing if Matthews get injured by a random player who then does the same thing getting beat by a Reaves.
Emotional responses happen.

It doesn’t make it okay.

Habs fans would be up in arms if one of their guys was getting punched in the back of the head by one of the biggest and strongest guys in the league. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Reactions: Guess
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad