Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I do think that the whole circumstance was unfortunate, and it takes two to tango... Kolosov is being a bit of a child...

but I can understand why Kolosov might feel "slighted" and some people just dont ever let go of a grudge.

They bring him over on March 26th.
They get Fedotov on March 29th. Kind of out of the blue...

If he was not made aware of it being in the works for Fedotov to come, and was told/implied that he effectively just had to beat Sandstrom out for an NHL job? And then 3 days later they announce Fedotov and ofc what Kolosov felt was "promised" to him in terms of situation shifted on its head...

yeh, if it were me I would probably breath in deeply and wrinkle my brow and move on from it in a few days... but I know some people who would see it as a betrayal or being lied to!
Not arguing any of this, but I would also add the fact that Fedotov was handed the NHL job, while Kolosov didn't even play once he was assigned to the AHL.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Now, I want to believe that this is not the case. And either way he is still being slightly immature.

BUT if the NHL is anything like junior hockey (and my guess it is more professional)... when a player is coming in generally the FO, key staff meet with them in lead-up, look at depth chart, look at development trajectory, pathways for next year or two and likely outcomes depending on play etc.

And IF Flyers had such a meeting and Fedotov was not on depth chart, not mentioned as a possibility... and then days later the news breaks? Well...

Junior hockey teams lie through their teeth all day everyday to players!!!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Now, I want to believe that this is not the case. And either way he is still being slightly immature.

BUT if the NHL is anything like junior hockey (and my guess it is more professional)... when a player is coming in generally the FO, key staff meet with them in lead-up, look at depth chart, look at development trajectory, pathways for next year or two and likely outcomes depending on play etc.

And IF Flyers had such a meeting and Fedotov was not on depth chart, not mentioned as a possibility... and then days later the news breaks? Well...

Flyers probably didn't know if Fedotov was coming over until it was a done deal, it's not like you can count on anyone leaving Russia these days, and he was a very delicate situation b/c of the politics.

But I doubt they promised Kolosov a NHL job, I'm sure they seem him as 2-3 years from the NHL. It's not like he's an elite KHL goalie who is a high probability to immediately succeed in the NHL. He performed very well for his age, which makes him a solid prospect, but KHL is still a "minor league" (and probably closer to AHL these days) and Kolosov did not dominate. Heck he hardly outplayed his backups.

What they probably told him was they expected him to be the starter for LHV (but he'd have to perform to keep his job, same as the KHL) and if he played well would be the first call up in case of injury. With Fedotov on a 2 year deal and Ersson unproven, there was a pathway to the NHL if he earned it.

What does he earn playing for Minsk? Obviously if the money is similar, he's prefer to play in his hometown where he's a "local hero." And if he burns off his ELC, can negotiate for real money in his RFA years.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Given Flyers/Phantoms track record developing players, I say let him go back for another year. They obviously don't have plans for him this year, he'll get more playing time.

But I guess now that they puffed out their chest, they're kinda stuck.........

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Flyers probably didn't know if Fedotov was coming over until it was a done deal, it's not like you can count on anyone leaving Russia these days, and he was a very delicate situation b/c of the politics.

But I doubt they promised Kolosov a NHL job, I'm sure they seem him as 2-3 years from the NHL. It's not like he's an elite KHL goalie who is a high probability to immediately succeed in the NHL. He performed very well for his age, which makes him a solid prospect, but KHL is still a "minor league" (and probably closer to AHL these days) and Kolosov did not dominate. Heck he hardly outplayed his backups.

What they probably told him was they expected him to be the starter for LHV (but he'd have to perform to keep his job, same as the KHL) and if he played well would be the first call up in case of injury. With Fedotov on a 2 year deal and Ersson unproven, there was a pathway to the NHL if he earned it.

What does he earn playing for Minsk? Obviously if the money is similar, he's prefer to play in his hometown where he's a "local hero." And if he burns off his ELC, can negotiate for real money in his RFA years.
I call BS on that as at the least they knew what the chances were as they were probably talking for a long time. To think otherwise is foolish. They knew it was a possibility.

Kolosov needs to grow a set and put in the work. The big questions for me what was communicated to Kolosov. What if anything was promised. To many open questions and the Flyers do not get any benefit of the doubt at this time.

Funny how your putting Kolosov done. If he was in camp you probably have him pegged as starter in 2026.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I call BS on that as at the least they knew what the chances were as they were probably talking for a long time. To think otherwise is foolish. They knew it was a possibility.

Kolosov needs to grow a set and put in the work. The big questions for me what was communicated to Kolosov. What if anything was promised. To many open questions and the Flyers do not get any benefit of the doubt at this time.

Funny how your putting Kolosov done. If he was in camp you probably have him pegged as starter in 2026.
I'm not putting him down, he performed well for his age group in the KHL. But he didn't perform at a level that said he's NHL ready.

The problem is if the Flyers loan him to Minsk, Kolosov will probably make the same demand next season, burning through his ELC. Then you have to offer him a NHL job as a RFA or lose him.

Reactions: renberg

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I'm not putting him down, he performed well for his age group in the KHL. But he didn't perform at a level that said he's NHL ready.

The problem is if the Flyers loan him to Minsk, Kolosov will probably make the same demand next season, burning through his ELC. Then you have to offer him a NHL job as a RFA or lose him.
You are just looking at raw numbers. That isnt how it works, at least to me when it comes to a goalie. There is much more to it and unless you are there very hard to say what he will or won't be.

I have zero issue with the Flyers wanting him here. They paid him last year and he should 100% be at camp. At least on the surface. Come show what you can do. The opportunity is there imo.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Fedotov was in the US days before he signed... they definitely knew it was a done deal when Kolosov was over. If he was not informed about it before news was released? Hmmm...

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
There's no reason for Kolosov not to be here playing in the AHL this season. If the Phantoms played him regularly, he could probably make his NHL debut this season when inevitably fedotov shits the bed or ersson gets hurt or something. Obviously the Flyers are morons, but for Kolosov if he just played a few NHL games and performed well this season, many teams would be open to trading for him and he'd have a real NHL career either way. This is self-destructive behavior.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
with what we have on the NHL club..he should be here...he has a good a chance as any other goalie in the org to take the reigns and win the starting job..but I also do not blame him for not wanting to be a part of this shit show

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's no reason for Kolosov not to be here playing in the AHL this season. If the Phantoms played him regularly, he could probably make his NHL debut this season when inevitably fedotov shits the bed or ersson gets hurt or something. Obviously the Flyers are morons, but for Kolosov if he just played a few NHL games and performed well this season, many teams would be open to trading for him and he'd have a real NHL career either way. This is self-destructive behavior.

Just another Flyers master class in burning down an asset's value for no reason.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I will break down the Flyers managerial processes, simply and succinctly:

"Does it involve a depth player vital to The Culture?" ----> PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE​

"Does it involve literally anyone else?" ----> PATH OF MOST RESISTANCE​

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad