Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
There is no excuse, the organization is incompetent. In just the last 5 or so years they’ve:
Hired Fletcher
Hired AV
Acquired Risto
Devalued Ghost and sent him packing
Signed Hayes
Extended Risto
Showed little to no respect for Giroux
Hired Torts
Promoted Jones & Briere
Blew any chance for Cutter to be a Flyer
Failed to move Laughton
Extended Lappy
f***ed up the ‘24 draft
Failed to move TK
Re-signed TK
Bungled Kolosov

They are the literal textbook definition of inept.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Phillies have a Spanish interpreter for a dozen Spanish players.
And in the minors, there are teammates and coaches who speak Spanish.
I mean probably 10% of the US population speaks decent Spanish.
But when they had an Italian pitcher, doubt they had an interpreter for him.

Problem is there aren't that many Russian speakers around, it's not like you can find a fluent Russian speaker at the drop of a hat, and there are few Russian players at the AHL level. If you want to start moving Russians through your system, you pretty much have to commit to drafting 1-2 every year or finding the few who'll play at the AHL level (Asinimov last season).

Easier at the NHL level, where the talent justifies the cost and there are more Russian players (b/c they're more willing to come over for NHL money and perks).

There are almost a million people in the US who speak Russian at home. That's before getting into people who have learned it as a second language. It would be pretty easy to find someone.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
How many Russian speakers want to live in Allentown for a one year job?

In addition to hanging out with a hockey team? Probably a good amount. You could probably find someone fresh out of college and looking for a gap year. 169 Russian major programs averaging 40 people. Would just take some emails.

You act like we are asking the team to translate Linear A

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers have learned their accommodations for foreign prospects are lacking. If they wanted to solve this problem, they could send me on a two week paid working trip to Ocean City, MD and I could go up and down the town, which is heavily staffed by young Euros of all persuasions. I could dig up an assigned native-language friend for every player in the organization, all willing to work for ice cream shop wages.

This is an easy problem, especially for a team with money.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Flyers have learned their accommodations for foreign prospects are lacking. If they wanted to solve this problem, they could send me on a two week paid working trip to Ocean City, MD and I could go up and down the town, which is heavily staffed by young Euros of all persuasions. I could dig up an assigned native-language friend for every player in the organization, all willing to work for ice cream shop wages.

They're learning as they go, Beef. I don't know what more you want.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Hell, from my own personal experience there were at least two skating instructors for the general public that worked at the Skate Zone which is obviously where the Flyers operate out of. It's been a couple years since i've been around that but I imagine they're still there or have been replaced by similar people.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In addition to hanging out with a hockey team? Probably a good amount. You could probably find someone fresh out of college and looking for a gap year. 169 Russian major programs averaging 40 people. Would just take some emails.

You act like we are asking the team to translate Linear A
You think all those graduates can actually speak Russian fluently?

And if you can, would you want to hang around a minor league hockey team in Allentown, bored out of your gourd, or go to Washington, where there are numerous positions for Russian speakers with much better promotion opportunities?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

And if you can, would you want to hang around a minor league hockey team in Allentown, bored out of your gourd, or go to Washington, where there are numerous positions for Russian speakers with much better promotion opportunities?

Do they NEED to? I think not. And guess what, they'd only get better.

You can also head down to Ocean City and find 5 fluent speakers for each player in the franchise if you want. As in, all of them, whether they need them or not.

Acting like finding Russian speakers to aid the guy is some massive challenge is absurd. Hell, I have five Russian speakers in my townhome row. I know another on the other side of the neighborhood, two more up the street who just moved to NY, and another 10 minutes north of me from Rostov.

This ain't hard. They just didn't try. They just didn't think about it. Not a good look considering Briere was right there as Bob came along and was quite open about how hard that was. Jones was here for it too. And Hanrahan. And Homer. And Clarke. The knowledge is there. They just don't care. As they showed yet again with Gauthier, Farabee, and Couturier l, they are generally opposed to giving players any accommodations. The only reason they've been somewhat nice to Michkov is that their careers might all end if he bails and he holds all the power.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

The Jersey Shore is full of Eastern Europeans coming in for seasonal employment at low wages on the US scale that are begging for the work to allow them to extend their stay. They’d be close in age to Kolosov too.

Hell, Hilferty is super connected in OCNJ. He alone would have access to the people to tell them exactly who to bring in for it without having to leave one island.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Jersey Shore is full of Eastern Europeans coming in for seasonal employment at low wages on the US scale that are begging for the work to allow them to extend their stay. They’d be close in age to Kolosov too.

You could go to your nearest Rita's and have this solved in minutes.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

Moving Goal Posts Down The Field GIF - Moving Goal Posts ...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You'd have to vet them.

I'd suspect some have Russian mafia ties and others are FSB plants - and given the current state of Russia, some are both. :naughty: And you want to make sure if you're hiring someone to hold Kolosov's hand, that they're not going to get him into trouble.

[most young East Europeans don't speak Russian, most pick up English as their second language, like most Europeans]

I just think they were over whelmed by events, not sure they expected either Kolosov or Fedotov to come over last spring. They now have three Russians on the NHL roster, so that's not a big issue, but harder to pull off in Allentown.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You'd have to vet them.

I'd suspect some have Russian mafia ties and others are FSB plants - and given the current state of Russia, some are both. :naughty: And you want to make sure if you're hiring someone to hold Kolosov's hand, that they're not going to get him into trouble.

I just think they were over whelmed by events, not sure they expected either Kolosov or Fedotov to come over last spring. They now have three Russians on the NHL roster, so that's not a big issue, but harder to pull off in Allentown.

You don't need to vet them. It is their job to hang out with a young athlete in a foreign land, not to work IT at Raytheon. If the FSB or GRU or mob wants to send an asset to hang out with a goalie, great. It is strategically good for Russia to waste resources.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
You'd have to vet them.

Ocean City in particular had two prostitution/human trafficking incidents that made them quite a bit more strict in who they bring over these days. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad