Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
If someone on the team required ASL to communicate, they wouldn't just say "man this sucks. We can't add any more players who know that, so you can't talk to anyone else until next season if we can bring someone in who knows sign language." That is just an insane excuse.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh wow, Flyers sources paint the Flyers in a good way. More at 11.

So they literally had NO ONE that could speak the language around this man?

Have they added any? Genuine question.

Did ASF talk to Kolosov? If not then he's not providing the full story and just defending the badge.

It wouldn’t be an ASF article without him acting like he’s Walter Cronkite. :laugh:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I’m sure the Flyers would take a different path on that one if they could do it again.

No one is higher on Cutter than me, watched a ton of his USAH games over the years. But the way he handled his departure is coward garbage. Be a man and talk to the Flyers.

Obv the boomers suck, but the 16-25 yr old generation doesn’t handle their business like they should and I will never be convinced otherwise.
He talked to them plenty before he decided they weren't worth the effort to talk too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
8yohqf.jpg

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
The Flyers do not deserve to get the benefit of doubt. So until Kolosov shows up at camp we should assume the Flyers bungled this situation
This needs to be copied and pasted for anytime someone gets mouthy about second guessing the organization. They have not done a damn thing to warrant the benefit of the doubt. Literally the only move of real magnitude is Michkov falling and the flyers pouncing.

We need more Hunt for Red October references. Without a doubt.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Shouldn't the team have interpreters on staff? The Phillies have these accommodations. It should be standard practice for a team to have actual translators around, not just teammates or coaches who they deputize to pull double-duty.
that's what a good organization does

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Shouldn't the team have interpreters on staff? The Phillies have these accommodations. It should be standard practice for a team to have actual translators around, not just teammates or coaches who they deputize to pull double-duty.
The Phillies have a Spanish interpreter for a dozen Spanish players.
And in the minors, there are teammates and coaches who speak Spanish.
I mean probably 10% of the US population speaks decent Spanish.
But when they had an Italian pitcher, doubt they had an interpreter for him.

Problem is there aren't that many Russian speakers around, it's not like you can find a fluent Russian speaker at the drop of a hat, and there are few Russian players at the AHL level. If you want to start moving Russians through your system, you pretty much have to commit to drafting 1-2 every year or finding the few who'll play at the AHL level (Asinimov last season).

Easier at the NHL level, where the talent justifies the cost and there are more Russian players (b/c they're more willing to come over for NHL money and perks).

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

Problem is there aren't that many Russian speakers around, it's not like you can find a fluent Russian speaker at the drop of a hat, and there are few Russian players at the AHL level. If you want to start moving Russians through your system, you pretty much have to commit to drafting 1-2 every year or finding the few who'll play at the AHL level (Asinimov last season).

Easier at the NHL level, where the talent justifies the cost and there are more Russian players (b/c they're more willing to come over for NHL money and perks).
yeah imma call BS here..Comcast has deep pockets...they could have easily found someone

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Come on, deady. There aren’t many Russian speakers around?

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Come on, deady. There aren’t many Russian speakers around? That’s what we’re going with?

Reactions: BiggE and Tripod

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I’m not going to believe the Flyers version of events. They’re a bumbling troop of baboons.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
They have a translator now working with Michkov. Can he not split time with Kolosov? It's an hour away. Obviously not 50:50 but some fraction to Kolosov to assist with the basics. The two can get together with the translator for regular English lessons.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They have a translator now working with Michkov. Can he not split time with Kolosov? It's an hour away. Obviously not 50:50 but some fraction to Kolosov to assist with the basics. The two can get together with the translator for regular English lessons.

It's not a matter of can, it's a matter of competence.

Something this org hasnt displayed consistently in over a decade at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad