Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah these things need to have been already part of this process from the start

We are in Year 6 of this particular committee of management. With some members going back much further. And they're trying to pretend like they're new to this!

Nah. They just have no attention to detail, and haven't for as long as I can remember. This is just another manifestation of that forever trend

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are we sure the real problem here isn’t that Kolosov can make more money in the KHL than the AHL?

If he played no NHL games in 24-25 he’d only make $80,000 + a $92,500 bonus.
I’m sure it’s a factor. Would like to know of he and Fedotov had the same representation

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Hayes
Provorov
Ghost
Farabee
Frost
Couturier
Mason
Ellis
Cutter Gauthier
Gagne
Voracek

Don’t tell me Richards, and Carter were happy after signing mega deals to be dealt out right after.

Kolosov is just the next example.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Are we sure the real problem here isn’t that Kolosov can make more money in the KHL than the AHL?

It has to be contributory. But if you’re the flyers and that is actually the case, doesn’t it make sense to just say it? Even if it wasn’t the case, it’s an easy spin

“He is still a large part of planned future. It is more economically viable for the player to spend time developing in Russia.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dealing with Russians is totally different than any other prospect group.
1) they have a viable alternative in the KHL (better money than AHL for most, not as good as NHL)
2) they have a real language barrier, Russians aren't learning English like Europeans
3) hard to build critical mass of prospects b/c many stay in Russia first couple years after being drafted - ones that are serious about NHL started coming over to play junior hockey, but Putin may be trying to stop that.
4) hard to find AHL Russian veterans like Anisimov, most would rather play in KHL if they're not good enough for NHL

I think Flyers didn't really understand how difficult this would be, it's one thing at the NHL level, where you can find 2-3 Russians, but at AHL level much harder to stock Russian speakers. Plus Russians who are good enough for the NHL are more willing to deal with struggles b/c the money is so good - but not at the AHL level.

Nor is it easy to find interpreters in places like Allentown, no major university, no "Russian neighborhood" like in NYC. Interpreters have options, and spending a month in Allentown probably isn't on the top of their list.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

What is maybe the solution here? Could we maybe loan him back to the KHL and then possibly reassess our goalie situation next year? He's still so young - I don't want to write him off forever?

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
What is maybe the solution here? Could we maybe loan him back to the KHL and then possibly reassess our goalie situation next year? He's still so young - I don't want to write him off forever?

It’s 100% about money. Solution is simple; Flyers can toll or work it out so they let him sign a contract overseas but retain his rights.

He can come back when he’s older and closer to the NHL- at least 2 years until they decide on Fedotov probably.

I think all this hooplah is about money. He signed before Fedotov thinking he’d have a better NHL shot, obviously. But by signing you are also committing.

But seems even contracts aren’t binding anymore to the next generation (true even as we benefitted from it).

He’s very young for a Russian goalie to come overseas but probably jumped at being offered a contract.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
1) they have a viable alternative in the KHL (better money than AHL for most, not as good as NHL)
2) they have a real language barrier, Russians aren't learning English like Europeans
3) hard to build critical mass of prospects b/c many stay in Russia first couple years after being drafted - ones that are serious about NHL started coming over to play junior hockey, but Putin may be trying to stop that.
4) hard to find AHL Russian veterans like Anisimov, most would rather play in KHL if they're not good enough for NHL

I think Flyers didn't really understand how difficult this would be, it's one thing at the NHL level, where you can find 2-3 Russians, but at AHL level much harder to stock Russian speakers. Plus Russians who are good enough for the NHL are more willing to deal with struggles b/c the money is so good - but not at the AHL level.

Nor is it easy to find interpreters in places like Allentown, no major university, no "Russian neighborhood" like in NYC. Interpreters have options, and spending a month in Allentown probably isn't on the top of their list.

Sounds like a pretty bad management mistake

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Then a total failure on their end. Why d make excuses. Cant you just it looks like they phucked up.

Reactions: BernieParent

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
These threads are great for pointing out people who are convinced they know exactly what happened while having zero idea. Flat out embarrassing themselves.

It’s ok to wait for information before forming hard opinions. I know this last part is shocking, but it’s also ok to never form one because you don’t trust the sources that go public or because it’s a combination of factors and we’ll never know the actual split.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright
May 26, 2012
These threads are great for pointing out people who are convinced they know exactly what happened while having zero idea. Flat out embarrassing themselves.

It’s ok to wait for information before forming hard opinions. I know this last part is shocking, but it’s also ok to never form one because you don’t trust the sources that go public or because it’s a combination of factors and we’ll never know the actual split.

This is accurate though

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Talking through the details of how they handled him or figuring out how much money it may cost him to go back to the AHL is not at all what I mean. We're all going to have differing opinions on that.

You have people saying things like they know for sure what this is about. That is the surest possible sign of a fool. No sense of their own limits.

Reactions: Tarpongg

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I really don't understand how a team in the National Hockey League doesn't pay an entire group of people to on-board and assist with players coming in from non-English speaking countries.

I don't know if anyone else thought it was weird they didn't have a professional translator for Michkov. It was like they pulled their power skating coach from rookie camp in to provide very basic translations. There are people who do this kind of thing for a living.

I feel like the Flyers of the past were way better at this kind of thing. A billion dollar organization has no excuse to be this garbage at maintaining relationships with hockey prospects. It shouldn't be that hard. They can spend as much as they want to get this edge on other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad