Prospect Info: April 2: Alexei Kolosov has joined AHL Phantoms (Goalie, 2021 draft pick); played April 13

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The way some of the people on this board sound is ridiculous... team was busy concentrating on Michkov and handling him with white gloves. Kolosov is mentally weak if that caused him to go home... he wouldn't have survived Torts anyways.

Would you quit and go home on your first day? Talk about a mentally weak individual this Kolosov is.

Yes, the situation could be handled MUCH better but he would have complained about something else sooner or later anyways.
🙄

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
It’d be very challenging keep my mental health in check if I’m put in a hotel, in a foreign country where I can barely speak the language, & with no one to talk to who can speak my language.

If they cared about their employees well-being, they would’ve sucked it up and paid for a friend, or a family member to stay with him to help acclimate him to this new country.

They rolled out the red carpet for Michkov, they could’ve done the bare minimum to help out Kolosov. But nah, f*** that. Gotta make (at the very least) some of our players uncomfortable. Builds character 😆

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Kolosov was homesick he was in the hotel room alone stuck staring out the gloomy window with some shitty American weather and food that he couldn’t stomach anymore, probably couldn’t wait to fly back to Belarus.

Alexei was probably wishing he had some fresh verashchaka or machanka or could have been wishing he was on his paddle board while on the river Neman.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I have absolutely no problem slow playing your young European goalie's playing time on an average Phantoms team. I don't mind that he only received like 2 games. I actually almost like the approach. He would have easily won the lions share of the games this year, I really believe that.

What I don't like is NOT having the emotional intelligence to check in on the kid and make sure his transition is as easy as possible. That's inexcusable and downright upsetting.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The way some of the people on this board sound is ridiculous... team was busy concentrating on Michkov and handling him with white gloves. Kolosov is mentally weak if that caused him to go home... he wouldn't have survived Torts anyways.

Would you quit and go home on your first day? Talk about a mentally weak individual this Kolosov is.

Yes, the situation could be handled MUCH better but he would have complained about something else sooner or later anyways.
There's the reddit/FB/Twitter response

Zine

Feb 28, 2002

Easier said than done.... because North Americans have the same experience with some KHL teams too.

When traveling to a new country for any job, it's paramount to first know one's place in the organization, what the expectations are, the reasons behind decisions made, that a measurable pathway to success exists, And that's not taking into account the language barrier either.

Looks of it Kolosov was put up in some hotel somewhere with no guidance or direction, only playing 2 games.
Any rational person would probably be like WTF also.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

We have North American players (most of them veterans by that point in their careers) who have similar experiences in Russia/KHL.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I have absolutely no problem slow playing your young European goalie's playing time on an average Phantoms team. I don't mind that he only received like 2 games. I actually almost like the approach. He would have easily won the lions share of the games this year, I really believe that.

What I don't like is NOT having the emotional intelligence to check in on the kid and make sure his transition is as easy as possible. That's inexcusable and downright upsetting.
What is the main goal of your AHL team?

It’d be very challenging keep my mental health in check if I’m put in a hotel, in a foreign country where I can barely speak the language, & with no one to talk to who can speak my language.

If they cared about their employees well-being, they would’ve sucked it up and paid for a friend, or a family member to stay with him to help acclimate him to this new country.

They rolled out the red carpet for Michkov, they could’ve done the bare minimum to help out Kolosov. But nah, f*** that. Gotta make (at the very least) some of our players uncomfortable. Builds character 😆
Simple common sense or hire a interpreter to help him get acclimated.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
What is the main goal of your AHL team?

Simple common sense or hire a interpreter to help him get acclimated.
I don’t love the idea of rushing a young goalie who clearly doesn’t have a good understanding of the english language - I still am ok with him coming over last spring, getting practices under him, going to a tutor, and getting majority of the minutes this year.

I want to know what accommodations and services were provided for the kid. That’s where I’m upset.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
He stayed for the rest of the season. He didn’t string them along all summer. He gave plenty of notice that he wouldn’t be returning next year. Seems perfectly professional to me.

I got my dream job in a field where <50 positions existed and left quickly because the weather wasn’t to my liking. I haven’t regretted it for a second. Most importantly, it taught me that the people who make these arguments about concepts like “weakness” have major issues. It’s ok to have different priorities than what people like this tell you is right. Go find your own happiness.

Organizational arrogance so strong it corrupts everything it touches. The hotel was 4 stars. Wonderful.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I hadn't followed this story at all ( Flyers related things are no-nos these days) but i was intrigued because it was pertaining to a goalie.

Man does this organization do everything in its power to get in its own way. Focused on Michkov? Lol. The Flyers employ hundreds, if not thousands of people. Not one of them could be bothered to check on a dude in a hotel?

This team is the epitome of the kid putting a stick in his bike wheel meme. They really do make being a Chelsea supporter palatable right now, and that's a supremely tall ask.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
He stayed for the rest of the season. He didn’t string them along all summer. He gave plenty of notice that he wouldn’t be returning next year. Seems perfectly professional to me.

I got my dream job in a field where <50 positions existed and left quickly because the weather wasn’t to my liking. I haven’t regretted it for a second. Most importantly, it taught me that the people who make these arguments about concepts like “weakness” have major issues. It’s ok to have different priorities than what people like this tell you is right. Go find your own happiness.

Organizational arrogance so strong it corrupts everything it touches. The hotel was 4 stars. Wonderful.
I work in international business and deal with a lot of moves where folks make more than Kolosov. There’s protocol for these relocations in terms of accommodations, on boarding, mandatory culture training, and required check ins and follow ups… I wanna know what was offered to the kid, and I also want to know what book the Flyers have on assimilation for new non-NA based players.

Reactions: BernieParent

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't even know where the "focusing on Michkov" stuff is coming from. Sure they had Michkov coming over on the periphery but he wasn't the "priority" towards the end of the 23/24 season when Kolosov came over and the organization was still focused on their playoff push.

The timelines are seemingly getting heavily confused. The Kolosov stuff isn't something new. He's been gone from the area for a few months.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I work in international business and deal with a lot of moves where folks make more than Kolosov. There’s protocol for these relocations in terms of accommodations, on boarding, mandatory culture training, and required check ins and follow ups… I wanna know what was offered to the kid, and I also want to know what book the Flyers have on assimilation for new non-NA based players.

Of course there is. When I worked for [LARGE INT’L CORP], there was a formalized internal process and I was expected to be both involved and in the know. No excuses.

Even if you want to ignore the personal issues, companies do this because it’s better for them in the long run.

Reactions: BernieParent

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
1. Unless the kid got overwhelmed or totally shit the bed, there is no way in hell that a couple of stiffs like Cal and Sandstrom should have been playing ahead of him.

2. An interpreter should have been made available to him at all times.

3. And, a smart organization, which the Flyers certainly aren’t, would have made arrangements to bring over a relative/friend/girlfriend to keep him company.

The Flyers organization is garbage these days.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Let alone actually play him. The dude literally had to ride the bench and watch Peterson suck. I would be demoralized wondering why I’m not getting a chance

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Um no. The writing is on the wall here. He is being played behind terrible players at the NHL level he has likely two players he has to jump. Then he was behind 1-2 goalies in the AHL, making little pay and dealing with all else on top not being at home.

He looks to be the most talented of all the pro ready goalies. I would have rather kept him and Ersson in the NHL. Fedotov looked like garbage. If you agreed to pay him a lot to get him to come over then give him a 1 way contract and waive him or whatever.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Screenshot_20240728-111537.png

We are learning as we go along? You serious?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad