Value of: Any Top 2-4 Dman gonna get surprisingly traded? Ala Hronek

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Sanheim, Walker, Risto, Seeler, basically anyone on the Flyers D besides York.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Detroit was in an interesting position last year - rebuilding team in the playoff hunt all season but knew that they might not make the playoffs or wouldn't make any noise if they made it, so they sold high on a guy having a career year just entering his prime.

I'm going to look for similar players to that in a similar team state. Some of the teams I could see in a similar position by the TDL are:

Washington (31 points in 25 games)
Detroit (32 in 27)
Montreal (27 in 28)
Buffalo (27 in 29)
Nashville (30 in 28)
Arizona (28 in 27)
St. Louis (27 in 27)
Minnesota (24 in 26)
Calgary (25 in 28)
Off chance of Edmonton (25 in 25)

From these teams, they have the following younger-prime aged defensemen that *could* be sold for a very high return ala Hronek.

Washington - Fehervary
Detroit - Walman, Seider
Montreal - Guhle
Buffalo - Jokiharju/Samuelsson
Nashville - Fabbro, Carrier
Arizona - Durzi, Moser
None from St. Louis
Minnesota - Faber
Calgary - Andersson
Edmonton - Bouchard

Of the above, the only players I see as untouchable are Seider, Guhle and Faber, and I think Calgary wants to build around Andersson barring a major offer. Samuelsson has been really good with Dahlin in the past and is locked up long-term so I don't see that happening either. However, there are three players that stick out that could be dealt in a very similar manner that Hronek was: Durzi, Walman and... Evan Bouchard.

Durzi has been a revelation for the Coyotes this season, and has shown much improvement on both sides of the ice. However he's still prone to big mistakes and is due for a new contract. Arizona has some very talented young defenders coming in and they seem very interested in Noah Hanifin, who would likely take away from Durzi's role on the team. Does that make him slightly redundant?

Welcome back here Detroit! Jake Walman has been a really good fit with Mo Seider and I expect they'll do what they can to keep him after his contract is done next season. Though, they do have some really talented young players looking to make a push and Yzerman has proven he likes to sell high on guys he doesn't see a long-term fit for. Does he expect Edvinsson to take his spot? If so, selling on Walman could be a sneaky good idea.

I'm torn on Bouchard. He's been incredible this season and there's been some talk about receiving Norris votes, and rightfully so. Even defensively he's been solid, especially under Knoblauch, which the mainstream fans/media don't like pointing out. He has a really good $3.9 Million cap too, but it expires after next year. Do the Oilers think he's going to be a perennial Norris contender worth the cash he'll demand? Can they look past his occasional brain-fart giveaways or losing his man in tight? Do they want two defenders making $9+ Million? I don't even think Holland has the authority anymore to make moves like this, but it's fun to think about :)

Any of the others could be moved and I wouldn't be terribly surprised, but these are the three I could compare to Hronek's situation the best.

Cheers!

Reactions: Lockin17

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Would be all over it someone like Chabot or Rasmus Andersson was made available from a Canucks POV.

Every prospect except Willander I'd make every prospect available. Which includes, Lekkerimaki, Hunter Brustewicz, Podkolzin etc...included would be our 1st round pick of course

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Would be all over it someone like Chabot or Rasmus Andersson was made available from a Canucks POV.

Every prospect except Willander I'd make every prospect available. Which includes, Lekkerimaki, Hunter Brustewicz, Podkolzin etc...included would be our 1st round pick of course

A lot of Sens fans would probably be open to moving Chabot, but I'd be surprised if management felt the same way. Sanderson is clearly the #1 guy, and Chychrun is better than Chabot at this point. It just doens't make sense to have a 3LD making 8.000. It would make more sense to spend some of that on a top-4 RD who is more defensive minded IMO.

That said, there's no one that comes to mind that's a defensive top-4 RD that is both available, not too old, and has some term left. Someone like Cernak, Carlo, or Marino would be ideal but I doubt they are available.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Matt Roy from LA, not because LA want's to, but because Brandt Clarke needs a slot.
Out of anyone remotely available, Roy is my top target, but there's no way LA trades him. I'm going to hope Buffalo is in on him as a UFA though.

Zero chance Rasmus Andersson is available
Out of anyone that ISN'T available, Rasmussen is my top target. Can't see why Calgary would trade him even if they do go to a re-build.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad