Pick one

• Volchenkov

• Methot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Volchenkov also the best open ice hitter in Sens history

As Bob Cole called him “BIG Anton Volchenkov”

I don’t think I ever remember Volchenkov giving an interview and he’s still one of the most popular Sens ever

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zub

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Tough choice. A bit of a cop-out but it would have to depend on need. Methot to play with a 1st pair D like Chabot and Volchenkov to shut a game down for the win. The Sens need both but if I was cornered and had to choose it would be Volchenkov for all the previously stated reasons. They really need to cut the goals against.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Volchenkov

toronto-jonas-hoglund-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-is-sent-flying-by-anton-volchenkov-of-the.jpg

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Methot played a much bigger role and was much more important to the Senators than Volchenkov was. You could argue that Methot had the most important job on the team after Karlsson and Anderson. Being the perfect d partner for Karlsson was not an easy job, but he allowed Karlsson to be the game breaker we needed him to be.

Volchenkov brings a huge gritty physical presence with his hitting and shot blocking, he has a spot in every contending team's top 4, but I chose Methot because he simply had a way more important role for the Sens

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Volchenkov if the league relaxes the suspensions regarding head contact and big hits causing injury that we have now.

Methot for the modern game. He has the ability to complement his partner well and play a steady, predictable game. Something we could use right now.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Methot played a much bigger role and was much more important to the Senators than Volchenkov was. You could argue that Methot had the most important job on the team after Karlsson and Anderson. Being the perfect d partner for Karlsson was not an easy job, but he allowed Karlsson to be the game breaker we needed him to be.

Volchenkov brings a huge gritty physical presence with his hitting and shot blocking, he has a spot in every contending team's top 4, but I chose Methot because he simply had a way more important role for the Sens

I think of Merhot faught it would be no contest but the entities of Bolchenkovs toughness are what make legacies. By the end of his time on Ottawa Methots skating and fire extinguisher abilities were tops in the league but Volchenkov is Volchenkov and he caught our imaginations from the first pre season game he ever played where he laid a dude with his massive open ice hits out and it was love ever since

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
I loved both players during their time here, but my vote goes to Volchenkov.

A lot of you already mentioned the strengths of both players so no need for me to repeat all of that, but I will add that the thing that sets Volchenkov apart for me is that at his peak, he was used in a match up pairing against top lines and was effectively shutting them down (along with Phillips of course).

While Methot was a great fit for our team and the perfect stabilizing presence on a pairing with EK, he didn't have that same overall impact on the game, and I'm not sure he would have been as effective with a different D partner.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I loved both players during their time here, but my vote goes to Volchenkov.

A lot of you already mentioned the strengths of both players so no need for me to repeat all of that, but I will add that the thing that sets Volchenkov apart for me is that at his peak, he was used in a match up pairing against top lines and was effectively shutting them down (along with Phillips of course).

While Methot was a great fit for our team and the perfect stabilizing presence on a pairing with EK, he didn't have that same overall impact on the game, and I'm not sure he would have been as effective with a different D partner.
I disagree with this idea that Methot benefitted from Karlsson. Karlsson isn't the type of player than will make any dman look good next to him. He's a very difficult player to partner with, and it requires a very good dman in his own right to allow Karlsson to do the things he's capable of.

The only way he benefitted from playing with Karlsson is because Methot did his job so effectively that it allowed Karlsson to play to his full potential and made them arguably the best d pairing in the league during Karlsson's prime.

Reactions: bicboi64

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I liked volchenchov more, but I think Methot was the better player in any era. He was pretty much better at everything other than massive hits and blocking shots.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hard to argue with a top tier pure shutdown defenseman.

Loved Methot, but prime Volchenkov is much more rare.

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
I disagree with this idea that Methot benefitted from Karlsson. Karlsson isn't the type of player than will make any dman look good next to him. He's a very difficult player to partner with, and it requires a very good dman in his own right to allow Karlsson to do the things he's capable of.

The only way he benefitted from playing with Karlsson is because Methot did his job so effectively that it allowed Karlsson to play to his full potential and made them arguably the best d pairing in the league during Karlsson's prime.

I wasn't exactly trying to say that Karlsson elevated Methot. Maybe I worded it poorly in my post, but I think we view it rather similarly. I would say that we both agree that Methot's and Karlsson's strengths, skillsets and play styles complimented each other as perfectly as you could hope for in a d pairing, which was a driving force in them performing at the level of a top-tier pairing in the league.

Similar to how not every defenseman looks good playing next to Karlsson, the point I was trying to make was that I don't think you can pair Methot with just any other good dman and expect him to be a top pairing calibre player. On his own, I certainly did not think of him as a team's #1 or #2 dman when we acquired him from Columbus. I considered him more as a top 4 defenseman who had the ability to play a top pairing role if he had chemistry and a complementary skillset with his partner. For example, I don't think you can pair him with a guy like Chris Phillips (ignoring handedness for the sake of argument) and have him be as effective in a top pairing deployment as he was with Karlsson. For what it's worth, I view Zub similarly now on the current roster.

The fit between the two players was so good that it was one of those situations where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. Karlsson and Methot both flourished playing with each other since they complimented each other so well.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I mean Kuba looked great, Dillion looked great, that AHL D Megna looked great, Karlssons pair in the Olympics was great.

If you are a defenceman and playing with prime Karlsson all you had to do was keep it simple and let him dominate and make all the hard decisions while you stick to your fundamentals.

Don't think that is too much to ask for from a top 4 NHL D.

Like it's easier to play with prime Karlsson than Chabot, or even Sanderson or Zub. Because with Karlsson your team will dominate and be running possession.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If you are a defenceman and playing with prime Karlsson all you had to do was keep it simple and let him dominate and make all the hard decisions while you stick to your fundamentals.
Agreed, Methot knew how to keep it simple and he did all the little things right.

I think the type of defenders we've had in the organization that would excel next to EK are guys like Phillips, Redden, Schubert (assuming he's playing D lol), or prime Meszaros.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
No one responded to #4's finger pointing better.
Shut down Ovie (with #4) better than anyone in the league for a while.
Laid down the boom.
Champion of the Pain Index
A hero to all

#24 forever

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad