Player Discussion Anton Forsberg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I appreciate the responses, but I thought I had this all covered already by saying :

"My intention is not to defend him at all costs, his play has unfortunately regressed since his injuries"

Plus, I already mentioned in several other posts that our depth (including back up goaltending) was problematic

That said, I am actually more interested in facts, fairness, exactitude and it would be the same for whoever the player is, whichever the situation. My initial point was and still is :

"I don't think he's responsible for many of the 10 goals against, we are still very easy to score against."

I see the Guentzel goal as the obvious one that should have been saved, but it wasn't a "just batting it in" goal like RKL said, Guentzel made a really slick play to regain possession and fired a quick shot that caught the goalie off guard.

Guentzel made a good play to get the puck, shot it from an impossible angle and scored short side, there's no excusing that goal despite your best efforts, the goalie was caught by surprise because he wasn't sharp, all he had to do is seal ht post and be in position and there would be nothing to shoot at.

Facts are what I stated, so if you are interested in facts, you wouldn't be trying to spin the Guentzel goal into something it wasn't, it was inexcusable and indicative of the type of back breaker Forsberg has been letting in for over a year now.

I see :

17th lowest CA/60 at ES
14th lowest SA/60 at ES
2nd lowest xGA/60 at ES (which is excellent!)
14th lowest SCA/60 at ES
17th lowest HDCA/60 at ES

Not sure why our xGA is so low despite all the other metrics being average though
xGA is more granular in how it assigns value than SCA or HDCA which are both big buckets, and it combines all shots instead of bucketing them individually, in the end, it's been shown to be more predictive than any of the other stats you shown, but even those put us at average so, not really fitting with the narrative of we are far too easy to score against.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Guentzel made a good play to get the puck, shot it from an impossible angle and scored short side, there's no excusing that goal despite your best efforts, the goalie was caught by surprise because he wasn't sharp, all he had to do is seal ht post and be in position and there would be nothing to shoot at.

It's weird but it feels like nobody really reads anymore. I said "I see the Guentzel goal as the obvious one that should have been saved" so not sure why you even type these words...

Facts are what I stated, so if you are interested in facts, you wouldn't be trying to spin the Guentzel goal into something it wasn't, it was inexcusable and indicative of the type of back breaker Forsberg has been letting in for over a year now.

Again...

xGA is more granular in how it assigns value than SCA or HDCA which are both big buckets, and it combines all shots instead of bucketing them individually, in the end, it's been shown to be more predictive than any of the other stats you shown, but even those put us at average so, not really fitting with the narrative of we are far too easy to score against.

Broken plays, poor zone or PK coverage is what has made us easy to score against over the years, not necessarily the quantity.

IMO (In My Opinion), I think we still need to improve because even Ullmark might find it hard some nights, like it was in his 2nd game with the team, after stealing the first game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's weird but it feels like nobody really reads anymore. I said "I see the Guentzel goal as the obvious one that should have been saved" so not sure why you even type these words...

Again...

Broken plays, poor zone or PK coverage is what has made us easy to score against over the years, not necessarily the quantity.

IMO (In My Opinion), I think we still need to improve because even Ullmark might find it hard some nights, like it was in his 2nd game with the team, after stealing the first game.
The problem is you trying to justify the goal, "he should have had it, but..." There is no but, just stop before trying to minimize how bad a goal it was.

Again, the facts are our xGA is excellent, all the others you quoted are at worst average, it doesn't align with the narrative you're trying to create.

Every team in the league has breakdowns, we just seem to want to believe ours are so much worse because our goalies historically let everything in, reality is were not uniquely bad defensively, we've just had some of the worst goaltending in the league the last few seasons.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Over the last few years, goaltending has been the bane of the Sens' existence, In 2019, Carolina gets Kochetkov and one pick later, we get Sogaard. If only we had Kochetkov backing up Ullmark.

We need a young goalie to come in and push Ullmark to be better. Right now, Forsberg is no threat and Ullmark has his feet up completely relaxed. I'm sure Staios is looking around the league, but anyone with a good goalie is not giving him up.

For me, it's the last missing piece. I think they're ready to compete for/in the playoffs; we just need saves.

Reactions: Emrasie

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I just mentioned in the post above the Guentzel goal which was an obvious one to me.

I don’t want to go back and look at the LA highlights to find a bad goal but it’s out there that he didn’t play well that game. When players admit that, it’s because they know he didn’t play well, and Forsberg knows himself.

When you’ve been playing well below .900 for your past *60* starts, you know there’s not much to be said to know that it’s not good enough.
Goaltending hasn’t been good in recent years and Forsberg does let in some softies.

I guess I’m more focused on what can realistically be done this season. Can we trade him? Assuming its even possible, who do we get to take the backup slot? We can’t place him on waivers because we don’t have enough cap space. We can probably do that towards the end of the year, but again, who do we slot in that will be better?

One of our greatest strengths (so far) seems to be scoring goals. And, in that vane, our PP has been really good. So, while not ideal, maybe we just have to score more goals to compensate, and of course, a strong, stingy team defense would really help too regardless of who is in nets.

I don’t know how many games Ullmark can start? 55 games, 60 games ….??? But, Forsberg (or Sogaard) is going to get some games regardless, and god forbid if Ullmark gets injured.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree that Forsberg has sucked, but I felt like there were some encouraging signs yesterday with not completely breaking and making some saves down the stretch. I hope he doesn't get much rope, but I can't help but feel like if he can work through this and Ullmark comes back, he might get some mojo back.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Over the last few years, goaltending has been the bane of the Sens' existence, In 2019, Carolina gets Kochetkov and one pick later, we get Sogaard. If only we had Kochetkov backing up Ullmark.

We need a young goalie to come in and push Ullmark to be better. Right now, Forsberg is no threat and Ullmark has his feet up completely relaxed. I'm sure Staios is looking around the league, but anyone with a good goalie is not giving him up.

For me, it's the last missing piece. I think they're ready to compete for/in the playoffs; we just need saves.
We need more than "just saves" by the goaltenders. A better backup goaltender is needed but it is definitly NOT "the last missing piece".

We also need to improve our set of 6 Ds. I think Yak might become part of that solution next season but we still have a weakness at 3RD now.

The team also needs to play a consistent defensive game without the puck to reduce shots against and reduce high scoring opportunities against us. The team is getting better when on defence but more work needs to be done on that in all 3 zones.

I agree that Forsberg has sucked, but I felt like there were some encouraging signs yesterday with not completely breaking and making some saves down the stretch. I hope he doesn't get much rope, but I can't help but feel like if he can work through this and Ullmark comes back, he might get some mojo back.
Forsberg keeps getting chances and messes up. I have high hopes for Ullmark. We need a better backup. Forberg and Sogaard do not appear to be the solution.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We need more than "just saves" by the goaltenders. A better backup goaltender is needed but it is definitly NOT "the last missing piece".

We also need to improve our set of 6 Ds. I think Yak might become part of that solution next season but we still have a weakness at 3RD now.

The team also needs to play a consistent defensive game without the puck to reduce shots against and reduce high scoring opportunities against us. The team is getting better when on defence but more work needs to be done on that in all 3 zones.

Forsberg keeps getting chances and messes up. I have high hopes for Ullmark. We need a better backup. Forberg and Sogaard do not appear to be the solution.
Is there any data to back up what you're saying?

The data I look at says we're looking good, our problems are soft goals against

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I;m over Forsberg, but he did make a great save at the end of the game against Kuch, so I respect that, still don't trust him though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad