Prospect Info: Anthony Romani (RW, OHL - North Bay) | 162nd Overall 2024 Draft

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I am not seeing a first round talent in this shift-by-shift, although I'd never settle my mind over one game. Does not look like a player ready for an increase in pace; he looks downright lethargic and unathletic in this game. Good shot, but for a playoff game, he and his linemates really lack urgency. One game isn't much but he looks like a player that will need a long road and significant transformation to make the NHL, which is expected for a sixth rounder, but some of the hype in here is wild. Maybe I am missing something.
Perhaps some context will help? He is not a high pace player, but lethargy is somewhat expected given his circumstances. Not sure this game should be the gauge for him or fans, as he was injured with a lower body injury on March 28th, keeping him out of the playoffs until this game on May 1st. Some OHL viewers worried that he was rushed back when he was announced to be in the lineup, with their concerns likely validated since he re-injured the same injury the next game on a nothing play, did not finish the game. He probably should not have returned at all, in hindsight.

EDIT: T'was a high ankle sprain. Past Canucks have healed in 6 weeks, so Romani probably came back 2 weeks too soon.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The only reason the fifth round in 1982 equated to the 88th overall pick, is simply a matter of there being far fewer NHL teams back then. But even in 1982 if NHL teams didn't draft you until the fifth round, it was because they simply weren't convinced you'd ever be much of a player. And not unlike Romani, the year after Ferraro was drafted in 1982, he exploded for 108 goals and 192 total points playing for Brandon.

So a massive f*** asterik' is really in your own mind. Because in 1982, NHL scouting staffs were small; they didn't rely on any technology to scout players; and far fewer guys were drafted from Europe. So the 88th overall pick in 1982; really isn't that far off the 162nd pick in 2024

What?

Reactions: Josepho

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe Hockey DB has it wrong. They have Ray Ferraro listed as a fifth round draft pick, 88th overall, by Hartford in 1982.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Perhaps some context will help? He is not a high pace player, but lethargy is somewhat expected given his circumstances. Not sure this game should be the gauge for him or fans, as he was injured with a lower body injury on March 28th, keeping him out of the playoffs until this game on May 1st. Some OHL viewers worried that he was rushed back when he was announced to be in the lineup, with their concerns likely validated since he re-injured the same injury the next game on a nothing play, did not finish the game. He probably should not have returned at all, in hindsight.

EDIT: T'was a high ankle sprain. Past Canucks have healed in 6 weeks, so Romani probably came back 2 weeks too soon.
Good too hear this, thanks for the context. Ankle sprain would make a lot of sense for what I was noticing in his skating. Will have to catch him next season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Scouts don’t value overagers it seems.

overager label cuz 2 month gap

Voted most smartest player, most dangerous in goal area, and 2nd best shot in the OHL by coaches. 4th highest goal scorer of all 18 year olds in OHL history behind Stamkos, Kane and Tavares. All situations player (PP, PK, etc). Lead the OHL in even strength with 83 points.

No attitude issues or size issues for a forward (6’0 184lbs). No glaring defensive flaws. Not a PP merchant.

Outscored pretty much all 2023 draftees (Musty, Cowan, Barkey, Rehkopf, Dvorsky, Pinelli, Ritchie, Cristall, Yager, Danielsson, Sidorov, Sawchyn etc) except Heidt who had 6 more points. This is while being one youngest of that draft class.

Like you have Sennecke going 3rd OA (joke of a pick btw) in 2024 and is literally only 5 months younger and Romani doubled his goals and points. Catton pretty much lead all U19’s in the CHL (1 point behind Heidt though) and had 5 more points than Romani and he went 8th OA, for reference, position aside.
There's definitely market inefficiency and it's been like this for decades. But age gaps do have an impact on performance when you're talking about growing kids. It's quite common for a 19 year old to have a breakout season in their draft+1 year. There's a reason for that. Partly it's increased playing time and opportunities and partly because the player is older, stronger, and more developed. They would also be going into their 3rd season. It's also not unusual for players rise in the draft after having a strong second half leading into the playoffs. Romani himself, I believe, had strong second half in his first draft-eligible year but it turned out not enough to get him drafted.

A few month age gap doesn't seem like a lot but half a year isn't insignificant. We do see that the older first-time draft eligible player put up better numbers which in term leads to more eyeballs and better draft positions.

Don’t get it twisted. Romani is a 1st round talent. Not even really comparable to Garland/Mangiapane who were both very flawed 18/19 year olds with size issues and massive defensive flaws the year they were drafted, in Garland’s case playing in a very weak QMJHL league.

The main reason why Romani went undrafted in 2023 was because he put up lower numbers playing on the 3rd and 4th line behind a deeper and more experienced NB team which had several 3rd and 4th year players. And even despite this, he put up some decent numbers relative to his ice time. He should’ve been at least a 5-7 rounder that year, and a 1st rounder this year, maybe 2nd round. Legit had to do a double take thinking he was already gone when I heard his name called with our 6th rounder.

I don't disagree. In reality, late 1st round picks and early 2nd round picks are 'first round talents" with flaws. For whatever reason, Romani was passed over. While teams do draft based on predictions of whether a player would be available later in the draft, the Canucks also chose the lesser-scoring Patterson at #125 and not Romani. I definitely don't think drafting should be based on who put up more points, otherwise we would have ended up with Domi and not Horvat for example. Of course we spent many other years better off going with the better offensive producer.

I do think we got a potential steal in the draft in Romani and I'm pretty excited about it.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
A few month age gap doesn't seem like a lot but half a year isn't insignificant. We do see that the older first-time draft eligible player put up better numbers which in term leads to more eyeballs and better draft positions.
I agree generally speaking, which is why I tried to compare Romani’s numbers to older players of the 2024 draft class and cut the age gap to about 5 months seeing how he outscored all but one of his 1st draft year counterparts in the CHL. And the only CHL player to outscore him would be Catton (who happens to be in this arbitrary 5 month gap) in Romani’s 2nd year of draft eligibility. Although had Catton been much more younger, I would not have used him as an example.

Those few months could be the difference between a couple months of extra OHL games as a 16 year old vs starting the OHL as a 17 year old and also being AHL eligible sooner which Romani has the benefit of.

I don't disagree. In reality, late 1st round picks and early 2nd round picks are 'first round talents" with flaws. For whatever reason, Romani was passed over. While teams do draft based on predictions of whether a player would be available later in the draft, the Canucks also chose the lesser-scoring Patterson at #125 and not Romani. I definitely don't think drafting should be based on who put up more points, otherwise we would have ended up with Domi and not Horvat for example. Of course we spent many other years better off going with the better offensive producer.

I do think we got a potential steal in the draft in Romani and I'm pretty excited about it.
Again don’t disagree at all, although in Domi vs Horvat’s case, Domi had hockey IQ issues and was undersized, which could’ve been a considerable factor in him going lower than Horvat, although I don’t think many GM’s would’ve drafted Horvat over Domi particularly because Horvat’s skating was below average and just didn’t have the same skill level as Domi at that time.

In Romani’s case, by all means his IQ is his strongest asset. At 6’0 185lbs, size isn’t an issue, and being an all situations player with a staggering 83 even strength points is significant. His point totals are high enough to the point where it simply can’t be ignored when you couple those factors above, at least in my opinion anyway when evaluating talent. His skating admittedly seems average, so there’s definitely room for improvement.

It’s quite common for a 19 year old to have a breakout season in their draft+1 year. There's a reason for that. Partly it's increased playing time and opportunities and partly because the player is older, stronger, and more developed. They would also be going into their 3rd season. It's also not unusual for players rise in the draft after having a strong second half leading into the playoffs. Romani himself, I believe, had strong second half in his first draft-eligible year but it turned out not enough to get him drafted.
The main difference here is that Romani was 18 for an entire season while also being in his 3rd OHL season having played 54 games entirely as a 16 year old in 2021-2022. Admittedly that extra year playing as a 16 year old is the main difference compared to the older 2024 draftees with the arbitrary 5 month gap I used. Younger 2024 draft eligibles simply have nearly an entire year of development below Romani’s which is also another reason why comparing him further than those 5 months in my mind may be seen as disingenuous.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every once and awhile one of those late round draft picks with gaudy junior stats morphs into a Brendan Gallagher or a Victor Arvidsson. I get that the odds of that happening are about the same as picking next week's lottery numbers--but it does happen.

So in the words of Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Every once and awhile one of those late round draft picks with gaudy junior stats morphs into a Brendan Gallagher or a Victor Arvidsson. I get that the odds of that happening are about the same as picking next week's lottery numbers--but it does happen.

So in the words of Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
What?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Again don’t disagree at all, although in Domi vs Horvat’s case, Domi had hockey IQ issues and was undersized, which could’ve been a considerable factor in him going lower than Horvat, although I don’t think many GM’s would’ve drafted Horvat over Domi particularly because Horvat’s skating was below average and just didn’t have the same skill level as Domi at that time.
Don't disagree with what you're saying about Romani but wanted to touch on a couple of points you made. What hockey IQ issues did Domi have? I thought he was seen as having very good vision and was projected to be more of a playmaking C but for his size? Defensively he wasn't great but he was seen as having a good work ethic who was pretty good at winning puck battles given his size.

Domi did have a 72 point season which is more than Horvat ever had. But the point I was making is that Domi was essentially one step ahead of Horvat until the NHL draft (drafted one spot ahead in the OHL draft and outscored him every year in the OHL).

The main difference here is that Romani was 18 for an entire season while also being in his 3rd OHL season having played 54 games entirely as a 16 year old in 2021-2022. Admittedly that extra year playing as a 16 year old is the main difference compared to the older 2024 draftees with the arbitrary 5 month gap I used. Younger 2024 draft eligibles simply have nearly an entire year of development below Romani’s which is also another reason why comparing him further than those 5 months in my mind may be seen as disingenuous.
Interestingly, Kole Lind was in a complete opposite situation. One of the oldest prospects in his draft class, Lind's offensive production was top 5 relative to his draft class in the same veign. Maybe teams did look at Lind's age along with his below average skating. I mean, "Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind."

To be fair, Lind shouldn't be considered a bad pick. He's turned out into a star-level player in the AHL. He just hasn't had NHL opportunities/production to stick. But I think being an older prospect, Lind wasn't ahead of the curve.

Gadjovich was on the same boat. Both Lind and Gadjovich only had one post-draft year of CHL eligibility left and ended up struggling in their rookie AHL years.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

Sure, but he also called the warden obtuse and then spent the next 30 days in an 8x8 cell eating stale bread for dinner. So I'd take things Andy Dufresne said with a grain of salt.😬

Something has to be off w Romani (in scouts eyes) aside from just being passed over once. There are no secret players in the OHL.
If I had to guess: he's been put in the box of "Smallish, not physical, perimeter, not great skating junior scoring star".
I.e. We don't think what he does is going to work in the NHL.
They've been wrong before obviously. This exact mentality got us Klimovich over Stankoven etc. Let's hope they're wrong in our favour this time.

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4