Anthony Duclair Cuts Hair, Shaves Beard Ahead Of First Training Camp With Islanders

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
What if a player just said no? Like I get it for the Yankees because they're the Yankees even in 2024 but the Islanders haven't had any recent success and Lamoriello is years past his best before date. What is he going to do?
Lou is so old school he probably unironically thinks refusing to cut hair would be grounds for contract termination.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If it comes to that, Duclair could be effectively suspended by the team and eventually shipped out of town. Considering he signed with the Isles possessing full knowledge of all of this, it would be a pretty dumb reason to cause such a stink.

I think most people cringe at the idea of this rule, as evidenced by the other 31 teams' lack of need for it, but when you just signed a multimillion-dollar contract with that one particular team, you are responsible for following its rules.
I'm pretty sure it would be against the CBA to suspend a player because of their hair.

His playing time though, that could be gone. I would anticipate this was discussed before he signed though, and he was okay with the policy before he signed with the Isles.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I can definitely see that. Another poster said that hair could take several years to grow so that's quite the step to take. And they all take that step so I could also see how it could be a little more unifying in the locker room, as compared to a manufactured camping trip like some teams were doing. Gets the guys something to talk about with every new player to suit up for the team. Could be a scar every player has to draw across their chest like some barbarian thing, joking of course, or this military style code, as long as it's unifying and guarantees they all have something in common. They can rant about old man Lou together if that's what it takes to feel like a team. He has to know it'll be talked about and be okay with some banter.

I can get that, and I understand both sides of it to a degree.

It’s just a bit of a murky topic when various demographics have a right to be predisposed to reacting kinda viciously to “mandatory compliance.”

Slippery slope, indeed.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
1724427905380.png

I miss Kyle Palmieri's beard

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Is that really the policy? I don't understand how something like that is real in 2024.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If it's a legit team rule, I would imagine it's in the contract and subject to fine.

The Yankees will 100% fine you. It's actually a team bylaw.
It's out of date in so many ways.

The league needs more unique players who are marketable, not a bunch of dudes who look like they belong on a 1950s jazz album cover sporting close-cut hairstyles.

These teams should be leaning in the opposite direction to sell more tickets/merchandise - giving the players access to stylists, and more flamboyant PR, encouraging the players to say controversial things in interviews, etc.

Every time an active NHL player talks it's like watching paint dry.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011

The league needs more unique players who are marketable, not a bunch of dudes who look like they belong on a 1950s jazz album cover sporting close-cut hairstyles.

These teams should be leaning in the opposite direction to sell more tickets/merchandise - giving the players access to stylists, and more flamboyant PR, encouraging the players to say controversial things in interviews, etc.

I've been thinking about how to word this, but this rule probably makes Lou the most expressive GM.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Does this hair + beard rule aplly for playoffs too?

Does baseball have growing bear for palyoff culture? Yankees can get away with that maybe but hockey pretty much every player keeps a beard come playoff time.

I think the rules only for reg season, too lazy to search up but I think Scotty N had his beard before joining the ducks

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I'm a Yankees fan, and I can't stand the archaic clean-shaven, no long hair rule. Unfortunately, the Yankees are known for it, so that rule is probably never going away.

Lou is a dinosaur, so of course he still thinks this should be required. Does he still make players only wear numbers lower than 40 (another dumb rule)?

Reactions: Curufinwe

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's more of a team bonding thing but you guys wouldn't get it. Bet the group chat was fired up.
Getting the same haricut was a team-bonding thing we did in like 8th grade.

Adults realize it's pretty stupid and pointless. Yeah, Duclair signed up for it and knew what Lou's rule was, so it's partly on him. But Lou's rule itself is just dumb and he's a dinosaur who shouldn't even be in the league anymore.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Getting the same haricut was a team-bonding thing we did in like 8th grade.

Adults realize it's pretty stupid and pointless. Yeah, Duclair signed up for it and knew what Lou's rule was, so it's partly on him. But Lou's rule itself is just dumb and he's a dinosaur who shouldn't even be in the league anymore.
He probably makes them raise their hand to go to the bathroom during team meetings :sarcasm:

Reactions: bossram

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
A reprisal of Wilt Chamberlain and John Wooden?

You can't make me cut my hair, coach!

No, but I decide who plays for the UCLA Bruins, and we're going to miss you, Wilt.

Seriously, "enforcing" a personal grooming policy in this day and age is laughable.
That's funny because I think rules and standards is what is missing from today's society.

He knew Lou's rules before he signed a four-year agreement worth millions of dollars and by all accounts had no problem abiding by them.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

True, get rid of helmets so the players can stand out more

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm pretty sure it would be against the CBA to suspend a player because of their hair.

His playing time though, that could be gone. I would anticipate this was discussed before he signed though, and he was okay with the policy before he signed with the Isles.
It's also illegal under NY law.

In February, the New York City Commission on Human Rights issued guidance stating that employer policies on appearance and grooming that ban natural hair or hairstyles constitute unlawful discrimination under the city’s Human Rights Law. California became the first state to enact a similar law. The federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) maintains that some workplace grooming policies may run afoul of the protection against racial or religious discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I always thought the reason for Lou's policy had nothing to do with looks, but because shaving each morning is a good way to start the day. It's a small task but still one that demands discipline.

AFAIK it's because the Yankees under Steinbrenner (and tot his day, under his kids) have had that policy. Lou wanted to emulate great sports franchises when he took over the Mickey Mouse Devils.

I also dont get the complaints. Duclair could've easily not signed with the Islanders. Hes on his 9th team and hes not even 30, so he was probably very happy to get a 4 year contract even if he had to cut his hair.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
That's funny because I think rules and standards is what is missing from today's society.

He knew Lou's rules before he signed a four-year agreement worth millions of dollars and by all accounts had no problem abiding by them.
Social expectations are always changing.

I would ban tattoos like a lot of players have, big bushy unkempt beards, dreadlocks, piercings, flashy jewelry, purple hair and the like just because I don't like those things and find them aesthetically displeasing.

However, I'm not in charge of other people's tastes, and as an employer in this day and age I just have to look away or grin and bear it, as pretty much anything goes.

You can try to promote a certain culture within your organization, but hard and fast rules on personal grooming are quickly going out of bounds in a lot of enterprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad