Confirmed Signing with Link: Anthony DeAngelo signs one-year deal with SKA (KHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With whats going on in the world you would have to be beyond desperate to consider going to russia, poor guy
He is signing with one of the biggest teams in the 2nd biggest league and earning a salary that is higher than the NHL minimum salary. If he were desperate, he'd be signing in the Slovakian 2nd Division or something. This is not a bad landing spot for DeAngelo to continue his hockey career. There are around 100 Canadian/Americans playing in the KHL this season. People are pretty clueless about the situation. What you're saying is akin to saying a player like Mario Lemieux must be pretty desperate to consider going to the United States in the early 2000s.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
For me, I’ll start with that he’s an admitted racist.
His exact words are "I'm absolutely not racist at all"

So no, he is not an "admitted racist", you may think some of his beliefs and actions are racist, but to say he has ever openly accepted the racist (noun) label is inaccurate. This is the nuance and critical thinking that is missing from schools and society these days.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
He is signing with one of the biggest teams in the 2nd biggest league and earning a salary that is higher than the NHL minimum salary. If he were desperate, he'd be signing in the Slovakian 2nd Division or something. This is not a bad landing spot for DeAngelo to continue his hockey career. There are around 100 Canadian/Americans playing in the KHL this season. People are pretty clueless about the situation. What you're saying is akin to saying a player like Mario Lemieux must be pretty desperate to consider going to the United States in the early 2000s.
Are you not familiar with what just happened to Brittney Griner a couple years ago?

The US State department literally still has a "DO NOT TRAVEL TO RUSSIA" ban in effect. It's an absolutely horrendous spot for an American to go in the current climate and had he any other legitimate options, he'd have taken them.

It's not remotely like a Canadian coming to America (at any time).

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I am hoping to go to Russia this spring for a vacation. Parts are very beautiful. But then again I am not brainwashed by the media
yes, the media.... which of course is headed by the US State department who still have a strong warning to any American citizens that want to travel to Russia about how the US Embassy has little to no ability to help you out if something goes awry for you.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
His exact words are "I'm absolutely not racist at all"

So no, he is not an "admitted racist", you may think some of his beliefs and actions are racist, but to say he has ever openly accepted the racist (noun) label is inaccurate. This is the nuance and critical thinking that is missing from schools and society these days.

Explicit and implicit admission. And no, this is not “what is missing from schools and society these days” you grandiose clown.

Deangelo’s dad admitted to chucking around slurs in the home and Tony’s social media history speaks for itself. This doesn’t even touch on the countless issues he has had with numerous teammates that indicates he’s just a jerk.

I am a big proponent of saying that our impression of people that we don’t personally know is full of bias. In the case of TDA however, there’s more than enough smoke for me to feel pretty comfortable with a judgment.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Are you not familiar with what just happened to Brittney Griner a couple years ago?

The US State department literally still has a "DO NOT TRAVEL TO RUSSIA" ban in effect. It's an absolutely horrendous spot for an American to go in the current climate and had he any other legitimate options, he'd have taken them.

Hopefully Tony's done his research and doesn't try to bring contraband across the border like Brittney did. :dunno:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Hopefully Tony's done his research and doesn't try to bring contraband across the border like Brittney did. :dunno:

that’s what you can hope. Just saying… they don’t play. They understand the value of “famous” Americans.

Tony D is probably going to be fine… but if he had any other legitimate option to be paid anywhere close, he wouldn’t be going there

Reactions: Dr Pepper

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Explicit and implicit admission. And no, this is not “what is missing from schools and society these days” you grandiose clown.

Deangelo’s dad admitted to chucking around slurs in the home and Tony’s social media history speaks for itself. This doesn’t even touch on the countless issues he has had with numerous teammates that indicates he’s just a jerk.

I am a big proponent of saying that our impression of people that we don’t personally know is full of bias. In the case of TDA however, there’s more than enough smoke for me to feel pretty comfortable with a judgment.
And just like that, it took one post to move from "an admitted racist" to "social media history/numerous issues". This is the kind of lack of nuance. You said he is an "admitted racist", yet provide no evidence that he is "admitted racist [noun]" and in fact the very evidence is an unequivocal denial. Just own that you made a misstatement and don't try and say what you meant was his social media history, because that's not what you said originally.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Griner is a high profile individual involved in a political exchange, that unequivocally violated the law trying to smuggle contraband over the border. Countries make their own laws [sovereignty] even if we in western countries don't agree with them or the penalties attached. There is a (very small) chance I suppose that Russian officials hold every American in the country hostage for more political exchanges but that type of escalation is unlikely, DeAngelo and other non-NHL hockey players would not be high profile enough to make the juice worth the squeeze, and it's largely a red scare situation to try and indicate he or anyone else is facing any real danger.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Griner is a high profile individual involved in a political exchange, that unequivocally violated the law trying to smuggle contraband over the border. Countries make their own laws [sovereignty] even if we in western countries don't agree with them or the penalties attached. There is a (very small) chance I suppose that Russian officials hold every American in the country hostage for more political exchanges but that type of escalation is unlikely, DeAngelo and other non-NHL hockey players would not be high profile enough to make the juice worth the squeeze, and it's largely a red scare situation to try and indicate he or anyone else is facing any real danger.
Would the Americans want him back? I think they're happy letting the KHL keep him.

This is why I'm shocked that players and agents still do business with the KHL and sign with teams given everything happening right now.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
All I'm saying is that if DeAngelo had an offer from anywhere else on the planet for anywhere close to the same amount of money... he'd take it.

Is it likely that he'll be detained? No, but it's also definitely not a non-zero chance.

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
What exactly does the media or so-called "fake news" have to do with everything Russia has been doing in recent years? Did Russia come to Ukraine to bring flowers to its people, and the media is making “fake news” that they killed thousands of people in Ukraine?

Reactions: DaaaaB's
Mar 12, 2009
Because people like you keep spouting BS when all there is to it is that he's a D-Man who can't play proper D. Calling him all the isms in the world is what people are defending.
It's not all BS though lol, you guys just discount everything and say nothing is evidence unless he openly admits it, which is absurd on its face. You give him the kind of benefit of the doubt you would never give to someone you whose viewpoint you personally disagree with.
You have identified with his behaviour that has drawn scrutiny and get hyper defensive because you are like minded and feel attacked by proxy when people criticize him. It's that simple IMO.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
And just like that, it took one post to move from "an admitted racist" to "social media history/numerous issues". This is the kind of lack of nuance. You said he is an "admitted racist", yet provide no evidence that he is "admitted racist [noun]" and in fact the very evidence is an unequivocal denial. Just own that you made a misstatement and don't try and say what you meant was his social media history, because that's not what you said originally.

Dude I don’t care. I’ve judged him as a shitty person. I don’t need your lesson as to my choice of wording and how it’s indicative of “what’s wrong with society”.

I’ll swap “admitted” for “outward”. Does that satisfy you?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Did Russia come to Ukraine to bring flowers to its people?
Actually, that's what they were told. It was supposed to be a liberation. There has been a ton of stuff published about what people were told (and not told) prior to everything happening.

Stuff agents should have read before giving such horrible advice to their clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad