Value of: Anthony Beauvillier at the draft for a Pick , a Young 4-6 Dman or a 3C

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
AB has been really good with the Canucks since being part of the trade for Horvat.

Clearly he was being stunted playing in a defensive minded system with the Isles throughout his career.

He has 9 goals and 10 assists in 29 games with the Canucks and is playing at a 50+ point pace.

He was also excellent during the ISLES 2 recent playoff runs.

27 pts in 41 playoff games from 2019-2021

What I've seen from AB:

- Very good forechecker
- Skating is a strength
- Processes the game fast, and can play with elite players who think the game at a rapid pace.
- Good hands around the net
- board game/cycle a weakness

Only 25 yrs old and will be on an expiring contract next season at 4.1mil AAV.

The Canucks will need to clear cap, and they are flushed with wingers. Boeser and Garland might be difficult to move so AB might be the likely candidate.

I personally like AB way more than Garland.

With a very weak UFA class this summer, would there be interest in AB?

Asking return, please pick one and keep in mind that the Canucks do not want to more than the 4.1AAV salary they are shedding with AB.

- Draft pick ( probably a 2nd rounder )
- 3C of similar value
- 4-6 Dman - U28

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
AB has been really good with the Canucks since being part of the trade for Horvat.

Clearly he was being stunted playing in a defensive minded system with the Isles throughout his career.

He has 9 goals and 10 assists in 29 games with the Canucks and is playing at a 50+ point pace.

What I've seen from AB:

- Very good forechecker
- Skating is a strength
- Processes the game fast, and can play with elite players who think the game at a rapid pace.

The Canucks will need to clear cap, and they are flushed with wingers. Boeser and Garland might be difficult to move so AB might be the likely candidate.

Asking return, please pick one and keep in mind that the Canucks do not want to more than the 4.1AAV salary they are shedding with AB.

- 3C of similar value
- 4-6 Dman - U28

He doesn’t carry that value. Not many teams can afford thst cap hit.

he will be bunched into a group of similar avg joe players who are around $3.5M-$5M that not many teams can afford, but home town teams think he will get then a 2nd++ or a 1st+ but they only get a 4th+ without any salary coming back

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
It only makes sense to keep him and hope he has a career season next year like Horvat did and then deal him at the deadline 50% retained to maximize the return.

Reactions: BCNate

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Very few teams have capspace and most of the ones that do would, at most, take Beauvillier for free or a late pick. In a hockey trade he's not going to return a center or winger of similar value because those are harder to find.

He'll have more value at 50% at the deadline if he plays well.

Reactions: The Real JT

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
dumb guy to trade so soon
when you bring a new guy, into a tough situation, and he excels,
that's a guy to keep around longer,
not flip for underpayment and then need to replace
Nope.

The Canucks have a massive glut of middling wingers. They'll need to clear cap space just to ice a cap compliant roster. We all know they've been trying to trade Boeser/Garland.

With only one year remaining on his deal at $4M, Beauvillier is much more moveable than the other two above. If they can get some kind of mid-round pick back for him, they basically have to trade him.

It only makes sense to keep him and hope he has a career season next year like Horvat did and then deal him at the deadline 50% retained to maximize the return.
This is the ideal, but the Canucks need to clear significant cap space this offseason just to ice a playoff-worthy, cap compliant roster.

All of their meh wingers, Beauvillier is easiest to move in the offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyWooot

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
How about Beauvillier straight up for Christian Dvorak at 25% retained ? It leads to a slightly lower cap hit for Vancouver for 2 years and fills a need, and gives Montreal a scoring winger they can decide to commit to long-term if he seems like a fit (or rent out if he isn't one for the long term)

Reactions: Grantham

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I've seen Beau since he was a rookie with NYI. He does not think the game well, IQ is one of his weaknesses, as is stabilizing his confidence. Though his confidence I'm sure has elevated since the trade.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I've seen Beau since he was a rookie with NYI. He does not think the game well, IQ is one of his weaknesses, as is stabilizing his confidence. Though his confidence I'm sure has elevated since the trade.

Then the guy seemed to have increased his game intelligence since joining the Canucks.

He is slick and crafty and creative.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Then the guy seemed to have increased his game intelligence since joining the Canucks.

He is slick and crafty and creative.

I'm not sure how he raised his IQ, that's usually a constitutional component. I believe it can be developed, to an extent, but has a cap. That development usually takes time. Perhaps what you seeing is a confident player who is now willing to do things in the offensive zone that he wasn't before.

Reactions: thefutures and Peen

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
How about Beauvillier straight up for Christian Dvorak at 25% retained ? It leads to a slightly lower cap hit for Vancouver for 2 years and fills a need, and gives Montreal a scoring winger they can decide to commit to long-term if he seems like a fit (or rent out if he isn't one for the long term)
Fan of both teams, MTL has a plethora of wingers and no center depth if Dvorak leaves. Also I don t see MTL retaining for more than one season.
From VAN side, not sure a 3.3m 3rd liner is what they need right now and honestly Beauvilier has been very good in a tough situation, no hurry to trade him.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

What I've seen from AB:

- Very good forechecker
- Skating is a strength

- 3C of similar value
- 4-6 Dman - U28
A lot of players right after a trade play over their heads for short time. By next year this time he be back to 40 points. Making 4.1 million, not much value here

Reactions: Konk

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I'm not sure how he raised his IQ, that's usually a constitutional component. I believe it can be developed, to an extent, but has a cap. That development usually takes time. Perhaps what you seeing is a confident player who is now willing to do things in the offensive zone that he wasn't before.
The guy is legit.

He is scoring 5X5 whether he is playing on the first or the third line.

Maybe the system on the Islanders limited his potential, and it was the anomaly?

Anyway, I am sure the other teams' scouts are seeing how well he is playing.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Dvorak to Vancouver has been mentioned a lot around here, not sure what the exact trade would be but it definitely strikes me as a good fit for both sides.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Fan of both teams, MTL has a plethora of wingers and no center depth if Dvorak leaves. Also I don t see MTL retaining for more than one season.
From VAN side, not sure a 3.3m 3rd liner is what they need right now and honestly Beauvilier has been very good in a tough situation, no hurry to trade him.
I'm one of those who's argued that Montreal lacks center depth.... but sometimes you try and look harder for possible deals. GMs sometimes gamble, too.... if management thinks Beck will make the team next season, and thinks with Evans and Pitlick C depth for the lower 6 is tolerable until Beck is ready to fill a role, then maybe they are open to moving Dvorak.

I too don't see them retaining over a season.... but maybe adding a Quebec native scoring winger (not a rando winger who doesn't get much done) is of interest to management.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
A lot of players right after a trade play over their heads for short time. By next year this time he be back to 40 points. Making 4.1 million, not much value here

Sounds like a lazy generalization without actually watching AB play.

To me its clear his skills and stats were stunted in the defensive minded game that the Isles.

If you need more proof then just take a look at what has happened with Horvat having a career year on pace for 90 pts to now playing at a 35 point pace with Islanders.

AB was dominant in the QMJHL prior to joining the Islanders, his offensive ability was though the roof. IMO he has been really caged playing with the Isles.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hold this guy. Retain at 50% at the deadline to maximize the return.

Granlund got a 2nd round pick from the Pens.

-Granlund is horrible
-Granlund has this season and next season left on his contract ( huge negative)

I'm certain AB can get that return now as well without having to retain. I'm also almost certain nobodu is going to pay a 1st round pick for AB with retention or not so i dont think waiting till the TDL is that advantageous especially considering the following:

1. Canucks need to shed cap in the summer
2. The UFA market is very weak, teams will be trying to get better via trade rather than Free Agency this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad