Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
🙄

Next time I won't ask questions. Learned everything I needed to!
I responded that way because I don't know why you have such an issue with how he was handled during camp. It seems pretty cut and dry that they were considering him to stay and play the season with Reign, so they gave him the extra time at Reign camp. This tracks with updates from Hoven and directly from Yannetti.

As noted during last night’s postgame Twitter Space (online radio show), Mayor’s Manor has learned that forward Koehn Ziemmer will stick around a bit longer. He will be joining AHL Ontario for camp beginning Monday.

Similar to defenseman Jakub Dvorak, the Kings have options with Ziemmer. He can return to the WHL but is also AHL eligible because of where his birthday falls. It’s most likely he’ll eventually end up back in junior hockey. However, he could still start the season with Ontario and get some pro games before being reassigned. For now, it’s more of a week-to-week situation.

Thursday: Kings Roster Notes, Doughty, and Update on Ziemmer Situation

Two names that are not even penciled in yet for Ontario, but that are eligible to play in Ontario, Dvorak and Ziemmer. Will either one of them end up with Ontario? What are the odds that they end up in the rain with the rain versus going back to the WHL?

Well, Ziemer would have been a LAK if he didn't miss the whole year. It would have just been the perfect natural progression. We've had this discussion. I can come up with, I probably can come up with five exact reasons why Ziemmer should only play in Ontario next year, and I can come up with five reasons he should play. He's a 50-50 guy right off the bat.

Like in terms of addressing, he's going to rebuild his body differently. We said that when it's drafted. They talk about skating. Well, some of his skating is mechanical, and some of his skating is not mechanical. It was the same with Toffoli. Some of Toffoli's skating was mechanical, all the less, and a lot of the Toffoli's was not mechanical. Toffoli didn't know how to train, didn't love to train.

For that aspect, it's imperative to get Colin into Ontario under the guise of the coaching staff and the development staff every day, the training staff, the strength department. We're seeing him, and again, not giving him a chance to do anything except everything the right way. So in that respect, it's of tantamount importance that he stays with the rain.

However, he played 15 games last year. He got injured in the exact long time. He was so good at our camp. And then he came back, and the week he got hurt, a couple of our guys who were out there, they'd never seen anything like it. He was just taking the game over.

How about the fact that he got hurt the week before World Junior Camp? I mean, you talk about horrible timing. That's terrible.

Yeah, it just sucked. Every way around it did. So, as I said, it's such an easy projection if he played all last year, there's not even any discussion.

But the thing is, he did miss a whole year, and there's a lot of things he still needs to work on. So, as I said, I think camp will dictate a lot of it. How much does missing last year affect him? Does he come into camp completely in shape? I mean, I'm not saying this is a fall. He missed five months.

He couldn't put weight on. He couldn't go out and ride the bike or run. So, when he came back, he was completely out of shape. So, he missed a year. He didn't get to work on the stuff we wanted him to work on off the ice. As I said, it's just three, four, five fold how the injury affected him.

I think he comes to rookie camp, and as I said, I think you evaluate him on a segment, just certain segments. Comes to rookie camp, where is he at?

Oh, geez, he's right where he was last year. Didn't miss a beat. Okay, now we play him in the same thing as last year. Now you see where he is. Now you give him a chance to make the Ontario team. If he's not there, then he goes back. I don't think it will be as hard a choice.

As I said, right now, I can come up with reasons why I should do one or the other. But I think at the end of the day, the choice will be a pretty easy one. We'll be watching him saying, yeah, last year didn't hurt him.

He's ready for the next step in his career. It's Ontario or you know what? He needs another year.

It's too bad what happened last year. We'll just reset and we'll go from there. So I think Ziemmer will really take care of himself.”

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So why didn't they use a conditioning stint to keep him in the AHL longer?
I presume at the end of his AHL stint they decided for certain that he needed to go back to the WHL. He was very clear that he wanted to turn pro this year so it makes sense to at least give him the opportunity to make the AHL roster, rather than p-off one of the top prospects. Obviously complete guesswork on my part but it’s not going to be just about managing the player, but the person also. At least it should be.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I responded that way because I don't know why you have such an issue with how he was handled during camp. It seems pretty cut and dry that they were considering him to stay and play the season with Reign, so they gave him the extra time at Reign camp. This tracks with updates from Hoven and directly from Yannetti.

Thursday: Kings Roster Notes, Doughty, and Update on Ziemmer Situation

I appreciate the response and I promise I'm not trying to be a pain. It's just that sending a player to major junior is a season-long commitment where you lose flexibility.

So, before they sent him down, I was curious of the decision making. If they wanted him to train with the pros and give him a shot at making the team, what blocked them from a conditioning stint, which they have used in the past? It's something they were able to use with Clarke to let his contract slide. And I don't know if I'm missing anything there.

If they didn't think it was worth exercising, why not? Did he accept what he had to do to train properly? Did he not?

These are nuances in developmental decisions, and it's not that it bothers/upsets me as much as it appears, but I'm curious of why. And with me being a fan of Ziemmer, it's interesting to me.

And I feel it would be more productive brainstorming with you all than nagging Hoven on something he probably wouldn't get a straight answer to.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
forwards1500.jpg

dmen1000.jpg

goalies500.jpg

I forgot I had a Jfresh subscription. These are all the latest cards including last seasons data.

I think it's kind of funny how all our rando defensemen we got for almost nothing (Englund, Burroughs, Jones) all grade out higher than Edmundson.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
forwards1500.jpg

dmen1000.jpg

goalies500.jpg

I forgot I had a Jfresh subscription. These are all the latest cards including last seasons data.

I think it's kind of funny how all our rando defensemen we got for almost nothing (Englund, Burroughs, Jones) all grade out higher than Edmundson.

I always find this stuff interesting to look at trajectory too since one bad year can throw off a 3 year weighted avg. IE Byfield trending up has to be accounted for. Or at least as long as people ask the questions 'why'

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
forwards1500.jpg

dmen1000.jpg

goalies500.jpg

Can you explain what these mean to me like I am 6 yearsold?

Those bastards promised me that they wouldn't publish a picture of me. Now I gotta move my boat elsewhere before the paparazzi show up

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Have a feeling Edmundson will be this years whipping boy. We have at least one every year.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I always find this stuff interesting to look at trajectory too since one bad year can throw off a 3 year weighted avg. IE Byfield trending up has to be accounted for. Or at least as long as people ask the questions 'why'
The most interesting card is Fiala IMO. Look as his defensive WAR from 22/23 to 23/24. A lot of us noticed that last year he started to play more responsibly. This analytics model reflects that, but way more than I thought it would. It's one of the biggest year to year WAR changes I've ever seen.

They have QB graded as one of the best defensive forwards in the league last year. That's cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad