Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
OK. So high scoring in AHL/lower levels, low scoring in NHL. What if we shift this analysis to Alex Turcotte (32 NHL games so far, 4 points)? I guess Turcotte skates real hard? or Alex Laferriere (first 24 NHL games 4 points)? Laferriere just looks like a big leaguer? Is that a redeeming quality?

You make it sound so easy.

Turcotte can't shoot the puck into the ocean but provides much more to an NHL team beyond offense than Fagemo does. You stick him on the 4th line and he can play that role very effectively. Laf is also way more well rounded than Fagemo, although I think his offensive ceiling is a bit higher than Turcotte's.

Fagemo has to be a scorer at the NHL level to provide any kind of value to an NHL team, and it just doesn't seem like he's ever going to get to that level. No shame in that, there are plenty of former 2nd round picks who just don't have quite enough and end up being scorers in the AHL and then the KHL (once they want to cash in financially). I think that is what ends up happening with Fagemo.

Reactions: lumbergh and Statto

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Crazy to hear about Nick Nickson on his way out, but it really isn't when you think about him starting with the Kings in 1981 and being with the team for over 40 years. He is in his 70's and deserves to enjoy his retirement. He should have been the clear answer to Bob retiring though. Hopefully, they can put together a season worth calling on his way out.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
NHL > AHL > College > Major Junior

In terms of speed and how fast you have to think the game, any time spent at a level higher than he is used to, is better.
So why not put Ziemmer in a conditioning assignment to get more time playing and trainimg with the pros? They did it with Clarke (after having him not play in the NHL for a few weeks).

If AHL exposure is 100% better in every way, and if he was that close to making it, why not use a rule to extend his time in a superior environment? If the object was to give him superior visibility in a superior league, why not keep him up there? If they were worried about him not getting playing time, why not send him down with other junior players?

I question the rationale. Especially as the injury DID affect his fitness, you'd think they would want more time to work with him.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So why not put Ziemmer in a conditioning assignment to get more time playing and trainimg with the pros? They did it with Clarke (after having him not play in the NHL for a few weeks).

If AHL exposure is 100% better in every way, and if he was that close to making it, why not use a rule to extend his time in a superior environment? If the object was to give him superior visibility in a superior league, why not keep him up there? If they were worried about him not getting playing time, why not send him down with other junior players?

I question the rationale. Especially as the injury DID affect his fitness, you'd think they would want more time to work with him.
Perhaps they simply wanted to see how he did with the AHL guys before deciding what to do with him. I’m not sure as I forget how long he was at the Reigns camp.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Diffrent players, different circumstances,

I'm not sure what the issue is, is the issue really he missed 6-7 games in an inferior league because they kept him at a pro camp an extra 10 days? I mean is that the level we are nitpicking now?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I just noticed we start the season off with 7 road games. First home game is game #8. I guess i missed the boat when that was discussed...because I had no clue.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I just noticed we start the season off with 7 road games. First home game is game #8. I guess i missed the boat when that was discussed...because I had no clue.
well understandable since beet harvest was early fall. They are re-jiggering something at office depot center or whatever its called now

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Perhaps they simply wanted to see how he did with the AHL guys before deciding what to do with him. I’m not sure as I forget how long he was at the Reigns camp.
He was there from Sept 30. So a week.

Diffrent players, different circumstances,

I'm not sure what the issue is, is the issue really he missed 6-7 games in an inferior league because they kept him at a pro camp an extra 10 days? I mean is that the level we are nitpicking now?
It's called a discussion. I asked why a player was kept in the AHL for an extra week and a half. You said AHL is superior to the CHL. So if it is, why don't they keep him up? It's called questioning. You're free to not answer if you don't want to explore options. I simply see a flaw with your explanation.

Sure, different players, different circumstances. But that means your AHL>CHL doesn't apply. So, why doesn't it apply? It's not like they just found out he was out of shape on October 6.

Sounds like they were already leaning on sending him down to Prince George, so what benefit did keeping him up provide? And why not try to keep him up longer if they wanted to give him more of a chance to make the AHL, if that was their intention?

The organization committed him to another year in junior. I'm curious about the process and rationale of their decision-making. If you didn't realize it yet, I have a heavy focus on draft and prospect development.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He was there from Sept 30. So a week.

It's called a discussion. I asked why a player was kept in the AHL for an extra week and a half. You said AHL is superior to the CHL. So if it is, why don't they keep him up? It's called questioning. You're free to not answer if you don't want to explore options. I simply see a flaw with your explanation.

Sure, different players, different circumstances. But that means your AHL>CHL doesn't apply. So, why doesn't it apply? It's not like they just found out he was out of shape on October 6.

Sounds like they were already leaning on sending him down to Prince George, so what benefit did keeping him up provide? And why not try to keep him up longer if they wanted to give him more of a chance to make the AHL, if that was their intention?

The organization committed him to another year in junior. I'm curious about the process and rationale of their decision-making. If you didn't realize it yet, I have a heavy focus on draft and prospect development.

Yea, I was cranky at that point, so disregard that,

What benefit did keeping him up in a Pro Camp vs going to Prince George, I think we went over that, he's going to learn a shit ton more in that week, than he would playing 4-5-6 games whatever it is that he missed, he works with pro athletes, trainers, coaches, maybe they wanted him to have extra 1-1 time with their personnel.

He is 19, there is no option to keep him longer, with the exception of the NHL team, not sure if they can use the conditioning reason before the season started, seems kind of counterintuitive there.

Ziemmer had two options, NHL or Junior, he wasn't ready to make the NHL, so where do you place him, do you just have him up with the NHL burning a year off his contract and not playing? Isn't that literally the same thing they did to Clarke that everyone stroked out over?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yea, I was cranky at that point, so disregard that,

What benefit did keeping him up in a Pro Camp vs going to Prince George, I think we went over that, he's going to learn a shit ton more in that week, than he would playing 4-5-6 games whatever it is that he missed, he works with pro athletes, trainers, coaches, maybe they wanted him to have extra 1-1 time with their personnel.

He is 19, there is no option to keep him longer, with the exception of the NHL team, not sure if they can use the conditioning reason before the season started, seems kind of counterintuitive there.

Ziemmer had two options, NHL or Junior, he wasn't ready to make the NHL, so where do you place him, do you just have him up with the NHL burning a year off his contract and not playing? Isn't that literally the same thing they did to Clarke that everyone stroked out over?
He turns 20 before the new year. He's eligible for the AHL. Which is why I was suggesting a conditioning stint, give him more time in the AHL while letting it slide.

For Clarke, the issue is he was kept in the NHL, didn't play at all, then sent down to the AHL in mid-November then sent to the OHL.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s bittersweet to see the news that Nick Nickson is hanging up the mic after this season. We’ve been blessed to have Bob, Nick, Jim and Daryl for so many years.

I’m glad Nick is able to go out on a high note. Same as Bob. And I think all long time fans should cherish the time we have left with Jim and Daryl.

Two hall of fame announcers for championship teams in a championship town is a lifetime memory for LA sports fans.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It’s bittersweet to see the news that Nick Nickson is hanging up the mic after this season. We’ve been blessed to have Bob, Nick, Jim and Daryl for so many years.

I’m glad Nick is able to go out on a high note. Same as Bob. And I think all long time fans should cherish the time we have left with Jim and Daryl.

Two hall of fame announcers for championship teams in a championship town is a lifetime memory for LA sports fans.
This is why he is. Doktor folks

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I have.

Why didn't they keep him up training and practicing with the NHL team if that was their biggest priority?
It’s not the NHL team that’s the important part. It’s the NHL physical training, nutrition, and rehab staff that all their AHL players also have access to by virtue of both teams practicing out of El Segundo. Yank also said it was AHL or WHL for him, NOT NHL or WHL. He wasn’t going to beat out an NHL guy for a spot given the injury and off-ice training to be done.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It’s not the NHL team that’s the important part. It’s the NHL physical training, nutrition, and rehab staff that all their AHL players also have access to by virtue of both teams practicing out of El Segundo. Yank also said it was AHL or WHL for him, NOT NHL or WHL. He wasn’t going to beat out an NHL guy for a spot given the injury and off-ice training to be done.
So why didn't they use a conditioning stint to keep him in the AHL longer?

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Do the guys at the AHLlevel have access to Matt Price? There was talk of Ziemmer’s body composition before the injury. Maybe some extra time with the Pro trainers to get on the right path before being sent back?

Maybe to ensure the injury and recovery methods are on par?

Not sure. They definitely have a different way of doing things.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So why didn't they use a conditioning stint to keep him in the AHL longer?

How? Has to be a healthy scratch for 5 consectuive games, and there have been ZERO games played.

As far as being eligible for the AHL, that's not til December, when he turns 20, so he only practices, can't play games, because he's not an NHL player yet, and he can't use what he learns in practice...for 2 more months, I fail to see how that's a better option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad