Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I still think Fagemo scores 20 goals somewhere in the NHL.

Not for us though.
Maybe, but he’d have to show something he hasn’t yet. For example some more physicality, going to the hard areas and/or finding soft spots when the checking is tighter. That’s before getting into his defensive game. He’s not quick enough to be a consistent threat in transition either. He needs to add another dimension to his game to get the opportunity to use his shot. At the moment I’m just not seeing it.

He’s a good guy and I’d be delighted to be wrong.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
1728300086932.png

Oscar Möller has announced his retirement from playing hockey. Who else feels old?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I would tend to disagree. I think he ends up playing in Europe somewhere next season. Classic AAAA player.
So what makes a player a "Classic AAAA player"?

Maybe Fagemo is similar to Martin Frk, who in 24 games spread over three seasons with the NHL Kings scored 8 goals. That's a 25-30 goal pace. His one full (rookie) season with the Red Wings he put in 11 goals and 25 points in 68 games, which is on par with Alex Laferriere's numbers.

We've also seen the likes of TJ Tynan, who is a point plus-per-game player in the AHL. At 5'8" and not having extraordinary speed, I understand why Tynan never stuck.

I'm just curious what a AAAA player looks like. How does one spot a AAAA player?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Kings, once upon a time, prospects that got waived the past few days:

JAD
Bjornfot
Fagemo
Madden
Villalta
Clague

pretty much the majority of our prospect pool from a few years back

Can't be true, we were told all summer, that playes leave LA and go find success elsewhere.....not waived....not ahl players,

Fake news here.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
So what makes a player a "Classic AAAA player"?

Maybe Fagemo is similar to Martin Frk, who in 24 games spread over three seasons with the NHL Kings scored 8 goals. That's a 25-30 goal pace. His one full (rookie) season with the Red Wings he put in 11 goals and 25 points in 68 games, which is on par with Alex Laferriere's numbers.

We've also seen the likes of TJ Tynan, who is a point plus-per-game player in the AHL. At 5'8" and not having extraordinary speed, I understand why Tynan never stuck.

I'm just curious what a AAAA player looks like. How does one spot a AAAA player?
The thing about declaring him AAAA is what is the hard evidence of that? He's had 21 NHL games spread over 3 seasons. How many did Kaliyev get before he was declared a bust by the org? Clearly there is something amiss in his game or he wouldve stuck in Nashville, but he's never gotten a chance to prove the doubters wrong... if you get 43 goals in 50 games in the A, that should buy a bit of a longer look. Rather see him on the roster vs Lee due to waiver exempt. Lee is not going to be some big revelation, can develop further in the A where he could learn how to fight.

Reactions: lumbergh

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Moller ended up having a very nice career in the Swedish League.

I thought JAD would turn into a quality bottom 6 NHL player. Doesn't look like it's happening though.

Bjornfot could still have an NHL career as a 7th dman calllup guy. Like Moverare. Maybe he gets a regular spot as bottom pairing dman eventually.

If Fagemo ever scores 20 goals in the NHL (I doubt he will) it will be on a really bad team. He's one of those guys.

Reactions: BigBrown

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The thing about declaring him AAAA is what is the hard evidence of that? He's had 21 NHL games spread over 3 seasons. How many did Kaliyev get before he was declared a bust by the org? Clearly there is something amiss in his game or he wouldve stuck in Nashville, but he's never gotten a chance to prove the doubters wrong... if you get 43 goals in 50 games in the A, that should buy a bit of a longer look. Rather see him on the roster vs Lee due to waiver exempt. Lee is not going to be some big revelation, can develop further in the A where he could learn how to fight.

Well I would say some really big evidence, is he couldn't stick on two teams that NEEDED scoring or NEED scoring.....if that's not evidence enough, what is?

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Well I would say some really big evidence, is he couldn't stick on two teams that NEEDED scoring or NEED scoring.....if that's not evidence enough, what is?
Im looking at number of games played at the NHL level. Frk had 98 with Detriot before being waived as an example. Are you saying you are certain he can't produce at the NHL level?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Im looking at number of games played at the NHL level. Frk had 98 with Detriot before being waived as an example. Are you saying you are certain he can't produce at the NHL level?
Given he cleared again there are 32 teams that seem certain it’s unlikely. He wouldn’t be the first guy to suddenly ‘get it’ in his mid 20’s but it’s not all that probable.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

No one is certain of anything, he can absolutely change his game and things start to click....the likelihood of it happening is diminishing month by month though....

31 teams passed on him the 1st time he was waived, the 2nd time he was waived, LA took another chance I don't think any other teams had an option to take him, and all 32 teams passed on him this team,

32 teams, 32 director of player personnels, and head scouts, all said, naw....we are good.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Given he cleared again there are 32 teams that seem certain it’s unlikely. He wouldn’t be the first guy to suddenly ‘get it’ in his mid 20’s but it’s not all that probable.
I realize all that... my point more along the lines of: the team is low on scoring fwds, you have a guy that is not exempt from waivers, you have a roster spot open - so why not give it to this guy and look at him for awhile longer than give it to Lee who is waiver exempt and a project. Im not pumping Fage's tires... just seeing some logic in keeping him on the squad vs Lee and maybe getting some value out of him vs just let him go again.

Reactions: lumbergh

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I realize all that... my point more along the lines of: the team is low on scoring fwds, you have a guy that is not exempt from waivers, you have a roster spot open - so why not give it to this guy and look at him for awhile longer than give it to Lee who is waiver exempt and a project. Im not pumping Fage's tires... just seeing some logic in keeping him on the squad vs Lee and maybe getting some value out of him vs just let him go again.
Lee outplayed him.

Fagemo had his opportunity in his hands and failed to take it. Its unfortunate for him, but realistically, it's better for the team.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Lee outplayed him.

Fagemo had his opportunity in his hands and failed to take it. Its unfortunate for him, but realistically, it's better for the team.
They are different types of players for different roles.. and you are looking at 2 games. How can you make that judgment? Its fine man, Im just trying to kill some time before the 1st game of the season. Dont really have a lot more energy to debate this further

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They are different types of players for different roles.. and you are looking at 2 games. How can you make that judgment? Its fine man, Im just trying to kill some time before the 1st game of the season. Dont really have a lot more energy to debate this further
My presumption is that they see a future NHL player in Lee, certainly more likely to be one than Fagemo. Lee will also get a few reps minimum (my bet) in a role that suits him. I suspect they were also very confident that Fagemo wouldn’t get claimed. So maybe he does what is asked and gets another look… who knows?

Reactions: AbsentMojo

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

There are things in his overall game he's still not progressing at in the AHL level that NHL organizations are noticing. Could be his defensive game, which I'd suspect is one issue, would like to see his defensive zone starts % in Ontario the last few seasons. Maybe the compete level not up to snuff, skating, prone to turnovers, etc....who knows.

He bagged 43 goals on 200 shots last season, that shooting % while impressive, is surely not sustainable.

Not a fan of +/- stat as a key indicator. Last season 43 goals,+10, previous season 23 goals, -24. Not great on surface level.

He can get away with certain aspects of his game in the minors, but it seems evident by the recent demotion and passing through waivers, other organizations think he won't translate into a gig in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad