Speculation: Another year of this Bluc **** (The 2024-25 season thread)

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Fair - sometimes sarcasm is hard to pick up. Especially when I'm fairly dense to other people's humor.

I took it as more serious/sincere when there was a reference to the playoffs being a coin flip away
I thought saying we were a coin flip from the Cup would make it fairly obvious. But we were right there and all.

Reactions: bland

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The way Laf is playing makes me miss Vilardi even more. Can you imagine Laf and Vilardi together on the same line? 😍
And another thing to consider is there would be an extra approx 4 mil cap space to work with if they hadnt blundered into the PLD fiasco and just signed him to a bridge.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Going with 11 & 8 was fine in principle if they used them properly. If they used them as experienced vets to provide solid ‘scaffolding’ for young prospects it’s a sound strategy. It just needed patience. They (Luc IMO) then jumped the gun, for whatever reason. Sure it may have been another couple of years missing the play-offs but now there would be a much more solid foundation in place with an established new core. There should then have been a chance for 11/8 to get a run in the last year or two of their careers. More importantly there would be ea new core, raised by the vets, that would then allow the Kings to compete at the top end for a sustained period. Sure there is a lot that can go wrong with any strategy but with competent drafting and development it pretty much guarantees a competitive team, if not a cup.

The approach was fine but the execution, hampered by exiting the rebuild 2 seasons early, has been a clumsy mess.

I’m hardly posting as it’s just replying to rehashed, repeated posts bitching about the same stuff, mostly the same 2 or 3 trades and couple of questionable development decisions which is utterly boring to me (even if the posts are correct). However your thousand years comment made me bite (not saying that’s a bad thing)… it doesn’t take an additional thousand years… they just needed an extra 2.

I'm not saying they need 1,000 years to rebuild, I'm saying there's never an end for the opportunity to rebuild. If not this year, there's next year to do it, or in 5 years. There's always another 18 year old to draft.

There was never an intention to rebuild. When DL was fired, they were not hired to rebuild. They weren't winning the Cup, but they weren't hired to rebuild. If they didn't completely suck that one year, there's never a Byfield, Turcotte, or Clarke.

Which team that's locked into big contracts, trying to win, plays their 30-ish year olds less? If you're keeping Kopitar and Doughty between the ages of 30 and 35, which is what they chose to do, that's not a mentorship period. If that's your choice, you have to get something for the money. If it's just a couple playoff home dates, unless something crazy happens, that's the road they picked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad