Another Southwestern Ontario / GTA NHL team ? [Mississauga?]

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I can't see anyone in Mississauga or anywhere in the GTA supporting a different team. I lived almost my entire life in Mississauga and 99 percent of the people who watch hockey here are die hard Maple Leafs fans.

Baloney, there are plenty of fans of other teams.

There are also enough people who are a) tired of the Leafs failures; and b) tired of the Leafs pricing and lack of tickets to support another team.

Hell Pearson international airport technically falls under Mississauaga.

It is not 'technically' part of Mississauga, it is part of Mississauga because it is in Malton and Malton is part of Mississauga.

I don't see it happening. I'm sure if it's cheaper than the Leafs some people will go, but I don't see a 2nd team here every getting support. They'll get absolutely destroyed in their own arena every time Toronto is in town, and the entire market is already committed to the Leafs.

The entire market isn't committed to the Leafs, and if you think it is you need to pay more attention.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Baloney, there are plenty of fans of other teams.

There are also enough people who are a) tired of the Leafs failures; and b) tired of the Leafs pricing and lack of tickets to support another team.

It is not 'technically' part of Mississauga, it is part of Mississauga because it is in Malton and Malton is part of Mississauga.

The entire market isn't committed to the Leafs, and if you think it is you need to pay more attention.
Malton is a town in Mississauaga, where I lived most of my life and both my parents worked for 25+ years. Pearson airport is in Malton/Mississauga, it is in Mississauaga. This is like saying "It's not in the Bronx it's in New York!" Don't try and tell me about my hometown, especially when you couldn't be more wrong about it.

Buddy I grew up here, I lived down the street from Paul Coffey's parents, Cassie Campbells family lived three houses away from my cousin down the other street, you don't need to tell me to pay attention to the neighborhood I grew up in. Like I said, 99 percent of the hockey fans here are loyal to the Maple Leafs.

Curious to know how much time you've actually spent in Mississauaga to be talking like this. Reading your post, I would say you probably never lived here because if you did you'd know how much this city loves the Leafs.

Complete joke of a post.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think we will have another team here, but for anyone saying it would somehow be a cheaper option for tickets, concessions, etc, is a, as Supertramp once sang, "Dreeeeeeeeeeeamer, nothing but a dreeeeamer"

CAN WE INSTEAD GET AN NFL TEAM PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
(and now i will go sing Dreamer, towards myself)
One day it'll happen......:thumbu:

Reactions: the squared circle

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
QC please.

Not enough people and not enough corporate support. As a gov't town the corporate base is just not there. In cities like Mtl and Toronto the professional services firms (Accountants/Lawyers/ IT) hold a lot of seasons tickets using them to treat clients. In Ottawa that does not work as many of their clients are gov't based and public servants cannot accept those tickets.

Ottawa with a population of 1M and Metro area including Gatineau of close to 1.5M can barely support a team. Quebec city has a population of about 550,000 with about 850,000 in the metro area. It would not be able to fill a NHL arena consistently at NHL prices.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

Yeah, but it's a fool who believes that another team in the GTA would offer (even relatively) cheaper tickets. They could initially price down to try and draw Leafs fans away but it would not be sustainable.

And with two recent expansion drafts diluting the talent pool, very little chance of a Vegas-like start for the franchise. If it's a relocating franchise (Utah/Arizona) they'd be getting a bad roster anyway. So they'd probably be a bad team on day one.

Hard to imagine many fans jump away from a team with a long history of failure but at least makes the playoffs, to a lottery pick team that may not see a playoff round for years.

What I do think would be obviously critical in the fantasy world it actually happens is the arena location. Scotiabank is ideal for the corporate boxes/seats as the arena is literally walking distance from the financial center of Toronto. Anywhere else in the GTA can't boast that, and that'll be a big deal.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Malton is a town in Mississauaga, where I lived most of my life and both my parents worked for 25+ years. Pearson airport is in Malton/Mississauga, it is in Mississauaga. This is like saying "It's not in the Bronx it's in New York!"

You claimed that Pearson was 'technically' in Mississauga. There is nothing technical about it.

Don't try and tell me about my hometown, especially when you couldn't be more wrong about it.

I lived in Malton too (Lancaster Avenue) before we moved to Bramalea. So while not in Malton any more I am right next door and drive through Malton on my way to work. Hell, I was at Westwood Mall yesterday and one of my closest friends still lives in Malton (on Darcel). I'll be at his house, and therefore in Malton again, tomorrow.

Don't try to act like you have exclusive knowledge about Malton and that nobody else here could possibly know anything about the place. Malton is less than a ten minute drive from my house, and I will be in Malton an hour or two from now (depending on when I get my arse off the couch).

Buddy I grew up here

So did I.

, I lived down the street from Paul Coffey's parents

Congrats, I knew the family when I played AAA in Malton as a kid. Which one of us wins the cookie?

Cassie Campbells family lived three houses away from my cousin down the other street,

That's nice, she grew up a couple of blocks from me and went to high school not five minutes from me. What do I win for that? Another cookie?

you don't need to tell me to pay attention to the neighborhood I grew up in.

Yes, you really should open your eyes to see all the paraphernalia from other teams.

Like I said, 99 percent of the hockey fans here are loyal to the Maple Leafs.

Bollocks.

As I said, I lived there too and now live right next door. I know the place as well as you do.

Curious to know how much time you've actually spent in Mississauaga to be talking like this.

See above.

And in addition to living in Malton, I spent decades working and socializing/hanging out/drinking in Mississauga (other areas, not Malton).

Reading your post, I would say you probably never lived here because if you did you'd know how much this city loves the Leafs.

Yes, the Leafs are the main team but to act like they command 99% of fans is pathetically stupid. There are fans of damned near every team in Mississauga, with certain ones (ie. Boston, the Habs, etc.) commanding more attention than others.

Complete joke of a post.

Yes, your posts certainly are funny.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mississauga would love a Mississauga NHL hockey team.
Weird take to suggest otherwise.
Would we luv it and also SUPPORT it??? .. Just ask Kerr (a hockey agent) who represented one of my sons and also owns da Mississauga Steelheads .. da team is losing its shirt so much so that last summer he was out in market looking for money, in form of Steelhead ownership, to fund team this past season .. I passed but Brogie bought in and team survived another year .. now Kerr decided to move team to Brampton to try to breakeven .. there is lots of love for hockey in Mississauga but many would argue with tons of evidence that we would not SUPPORT it financially .. it is far from clear Mississauga would fund a hockey team

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Yeah, but it's a fool who believes that another team in the GTA would offer (even relatively) cheaper tickets. They could initially price down to try and draw Leafs fans away but it would not be sustainable.

I never said anything about ticket prices. I said pricing, but was thinking about concessions, parking costs (not really the team's fault), etc. When mentioning tickets, I was talking about availability (ie. season's tickets).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The idea that an Alt Toronto/GTA franchise will be some kind of family friendly, grass roots, less corporate team than the Toronto Maple Leafs makes zero sense to me.

The whole premise of a second team is this market is a cash cow waiting to be milked (more).

The start up cost of a state of the art arena, entertainment district (think of the LA Clippers moving into their new building away from the LA Lakers/LA Kings), expansion/relocation and penalty fee means this new team is going to be billions in the hole before puck drop.

This new team is going to have to be expensive, glamorous and just as corporate as the Leafs to thrive in this market. You want a bargain? Sabres already exist. Just get a passport.

Reactions: ACC1224

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

The newest franchises Seattle and Vegas are both in the top 5 for ticket prices. You are way off base if you think a new team in the Toronto area is going to be significantly cheaper than the Leafs.

Reactions: ACC1224

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You claimed that Pearson was 'technically' in Mississauga. There is nothing technical about it.

I lived in Malton too (Lancaster Avenue) before we moved to Bramalea. So while not in Malton any more I am right next door and drive through Malton on my way to work. Hell, I was at Westwood Mall yesterday and one of my closest friends still lives in Malton (on Darcel). I'll be at his house, and therefore in Malton again, tomorrow.

Don't try to act like you have exclusive knowledge about Malton and that nobody else here could possibly know anything about the place. Malton is less than a ten minute drive from my house, and I will be in Malton an hour or two from now (depending on when I get my arse off the couch).

So did I.

Congrats, I knew the family when I played AAA in Malton as a kid. Which one of us wins the cookie?

That's nice, she grew up a couple of blocks from me and went to high school not five minutes from me. What do I win for that? Another cookie?

Yes, you really should open your eyes to see all the paraphernalia from other teams.

Bollocks.

As I said, I lived there too and now live right next door. I know the place as well as you do.

See above.

Yes, the Leafs are the main team but to act like they command 99% of fans is pathetically stupid. There are fans of damned near every team in Mississauga, with certain ones (ie. Boston, the Habs, etc.) commanding more attention than others.

Yes, your posts certainly are funny.
The level of stupidity behind this post baffles me, you and a couple other posters are arguing that Pearson international isn't in Mississauaga :laugh: You understand that Malton is a part of Mississauaga yes ?

My entire family and friend circle is from Malton, I grew up on Jolliffe right in front of westwood mall, I knew maybe 1 kid who was a Wings fan and the odd Avs fan growing up, pretending like people from Mississauga or Malton aren't Leaf fans ? For what purpose ? This is such a stupid argument by you and the other posters.

Try reading slowly so you don't make stupid posts like this. I said 99% of the hockey fans in Mississauaga are Leafs supporters. Not that 99 percent of people from Mississauaga or Malton are Leafs fans, again go read slower so you don't make silly comments trying to take random Jabs at someone ? And for what ? To flex on a forum ?

Underlining that part for you so you don't miss it again, please read carefully before typing up some bullshit like that

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
hockey os not a dying sport in Ontario. Not for the rich kids and not for the poor kids who get donations and public funding.
If you’re middle class then it’s incredibly expensive.

Mississauga is too close.

It has to be Hamilton

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The newest franchises Seattle and Vegas are both in the top 5 for ticket prices. You are way off base if you think a new team in the Toronto area is going to be significantly cheaper than the Leafs.

See my other post, I wasn't talking about ticket prices.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Not in the lifetime of anyone posting on these boards… not even in the lifetime of their kids.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Doug Ford and the province need to step in.

Cheap beer and good local NHL hockey should be rights as Ontarians.

We’ve been shafted for too long on both.

• Haha
Reactions: CDN24

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
f*** no. I do not want the National Felons League anywhere near Canada. Plus, we have our own highly entertaining football league to support.

NFL sucks.

One day it'll happen......:thumbu:
Love the opinions! Truth is the NFL has zero incentive to put a team in Canada or anywhere outside the continental United States. They've learned from MLB and the NBA that teams in Canada cut into U.S. ad revenue when Canadian teams are on American TV. The primary source of the NFL's dominance starts and ends with its domestic media deals, and the league will do nothing to antagonize its broadcast partners. Just look at the situation with the Canadian NHL TV deal. Rogers has been hurt by decreased playoff ad revenue when Canadian teams are eliminated early, which has been most years. That has directly resulted in HNIC layoffs.
I never said anything about ticket prices. I said pricing, but was thinking about concessions, parking costs (not really the team's fault), etc. When mentioning tickets, I was talking about availability (ie. season's tickets).
Maybe, but that probably wouldn't last long, especially if the team was successful.

Anyway, it's a long shot at best that MLSE would ever allow a 2nd team in the area.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
As long as it isn't expansion.

I don't care if they add 8 new teams to SW ontario. I never want to see another expansion team in the NHL

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
Love the opinions! Truth is the NFL has zero incentive to put a team in Canada or anywhere outside the continental United States. They've learned from MLB and the NBA that teams in Canada cut into U.S. ad revenue when Canadian teams are on American TV.
The GTA's best chance at a NFL team was the Bills Series, wherein the league was all but yelling at the city: "Treat the Bills as though they are your own and perhaps one day they will be." And whether the fans a--- didn't understand the implied question or b--- didn't like the implied question...the attendance/support was underwhelming (by NFL standards). As long as there's an adequate amount of revenue coming from Ontario NFL fans via crossing the border to see Buffalo + other assorted ways (merch, etc.), there's zero incentive to go to Toronto.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Leaf fan (obviously) live in 'sauga, I'd love a team here. Re-Develop Hershey Center area, nice 10/15 min drive to watch hockey for me.
It'll never happen tho.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Every bit helps.

separate issue.

Ontario can easily suppprt another team, and fans deserve a team.
Oops, sorry for adding to your thread. Anyways don't care about another GTA team and don't think it would flourish enough to affect the Leafs materially.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Mississauga isn't in southwestern Ontario. Thread invalid.
350px-Southwestern_Counties_Ontario_Map_Wikivoyage.png
Where is that strange map from? I've never heard some of those areas referenced that way, specifically the ones I've lived my whole life in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad