Another Southwestern Ontario / GTA NHL team ? [Mississauga?]

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Leafs have to hold fans prisoner vs. healthy competition.
Sad loser .org.
Ok, but how would you describe Columbus?

Look at Detroit. A model franchise for so long and they haven't made the playoffs for a long time.

1 series win in what 7 years? Not great, but some on. Prison?

Get out of jail and find another past time/distraction. Your hobby can't just be cynical sports outrage.

Reactions: Cams

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It's too bad the league solely caters to owners and the fans mean nothing. I guess it's not about hockey anymore, it's about money. The core purpose of the League is there to make money for owners.

This has always been the case. To believe otherwise is incredibly naive.

Reactions: ACC1224

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Hasn't been a thread in 10 years.

And nothing has changed in those ten years.

So the Leafs are the biggest barrier to a team in Ontario ? a bigger barrier than the NHL itself ? Hmmmmm.

If that was true, Ford should say he'd try to bring a team to the GTA for election pandering.

Of course it is true. A team in Mississauga would be within the Leafs' geographic area and they can veto it outright, just as Buffalo can with Hamilton.

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
American-residing Canadian but not-from-Ontario, and question that I assume people here can answer because more of you are from the area:

Would London be feasible (I'm talking strictly the location here, imagine this in a dream world where a multi-billionaire threw money at a bid, the building etc.)? Because we always recycle Hamilton/SW Ont arguments on HFBoards and I always hear about this mythical (or not mythical?) "50 mile radius" rule and it seems like London...

- Obviously has hockey history
- Falls outside that radius for Buffalo
- Falls outside that radius for Toronto
- and has over 400K base residents while...
- ...by no means being "close" to Hamilton in the strictest sense of the word, is probably closer to Hamilton than any other place would allow based on said "radius."

I frequently see Hamilton, Markham, Waterloo, Vaughan etc. brought up but London not as often...

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Winnipeg?
Ottawa if any but after Sportsnet's billion dollar deal, Bettman would be stupid to fold another Canadian franchise.

The GTA could easily support another team if the Leafs allowed it.

They would move into top 10 revenues immediately.

Nowhere they add in the States will do that.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Canada deserves another team in SouthWestern Ontario.

Far enough away from Buffalo so they won't complain. Toronto can handle it. I'm thinking Mississauga.

There has been enough growth in the USA. Time for Canada to get another team.

I shouldn't have to wait for Bettman to die to see another team in Ontario.

Ottawa is too far to go to watch games. The Leafs are some Corporate hodge podge of sushi and suits that really smells bad now. I loved the Leafs growing up, but the spirit of the team has died. In the end, it's hockey I love more than the Leafs. It's too bad the league solely caters to owners and the fans mean nothing. I guess it's not about hockey anymore, it's about money. The core purpose of the League is there to make money for owners.

What are the chances of another team in Ontario ? How would another team impact the Leafs ?
Just pick a new team and get it over with

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ottawa if any but after Sportsnet's billion dollar deal, Bettman would be stupid to fold another Canadian franchise.

The GTA could easily support another team if the Leafs allowed it.

They would move into top 10 revenues immediately.

Nowhere they add in the States will do that.
I’m at the point where they can put it all in Canada and compete with the CFL.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
American-residing Canadian but not-from-Ontario, and question that I assume people here can answer because more of you are from the area:

Would London be feasible (I'm talking strictly the location here, imagine this in a dream world where a multi-billionaire threw money at a bid, the building etc.)? Because we always recycle Hamilton/SW Ont arguments on HFBoards and I always hear about this mythical (or not mythical?) "50 mile radius" rule and it seems like London...

- ...by no means being "close" to Hamilton in the strictest sense of the word, is probably closer to Hamilton than any other place would allow based on said "radius."

I frequently see Hamilton, Markham, Waterloo, Vaughan etc. brought up but London not as often...
Does it have the corporate base?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

probably because the Knights rule all in London.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I can't see anyone in Mississauga or anywhere in the GTA supporting a different team. I lived almost my entire life in Mississauga and 99 percent of the people who watch hockey here are die hard Maple Leafs fans. Hell Pearson international airport technically falls under Mississauaga.

I don't see it happening. I'm sure if it's cheaper than the Leafs some people will go, but I don't see a 2nd team here every getting support. They'll get absolutely destroyed in their own arena every time Toronto is in town, and the entire market is already committed to the Leafs.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I don't mind this idea, but I see London as a split fanbase: Die Hard Detroit and Die Hard Leafs. Geographically that's where they are: 2.5 hrs to DET and 2hrs 15 min. to Toronto.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Canada deserves another team in SouthWestern Ontario.

Far enough away from Buffalo so they won't complain. Toronto can handle it. I'm thinking Mississauga.

There has been enough growth in the USA. Time for Canada to get another team.

I shouldn't have to wait for Bettman to die to see another team in Ontario.

Ottawa is too far to go to watch games. The Leafs are some Corporate hodge podge of sushi and suits that really smells bad now. I loved the Leafs growing up, but the spirit of the team has died. In the end, it's hockey I love more than the Leafs. It's too bad the league solely caters to owners and the fans mean nothing. I guess it's not about hockey anymore, it's about money. The core purpose of the League is there to make money for owners.

What are the chances of another team in Ontario ? How would another team impact the Leafs ?
While this idear is GREAT it won't fly .. our corporate Leafs as you so aptly describe us won't agree .. and if you move team to Hamilton area then Buffalo won't agree .. on top of that you got da Jacobs affect what a cheapo he is .. Bettman really just a rubber stamper on this issue .. too many lifer Leafs in Mississauga too who wouldn't switch allegiances .. it is an unfortunate situation .. but it may change over time .. but it wont be because of smelly sushi hockey it will turn due to population growth in GTA which is growing at over 700,000 new wealthy folks per year past few years most from India and China who don't even know what a hockey stick looks like but they are changing our sport landscape quickly

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
There is only one reason the NHL would never allow another team in Canada let alone the GTA.

Gary Bettman.

He'd rather ice another team in Sante Fe than expand in Canada.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
So I know Leafs/Sabres have this veto power with location... I guess it may be dumb question, so apologize ahead of time, but how does Cali get away with Anaheim and LA so close, plus the NY teams (Islanders, Rangers, Devils) and what not. Wouldn't the Rangers have veto power? Or is it because of crazy amount of people?

If GTA had the population of NY area, would it be different?

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I don't think we will have another team here, but for anyone saying it would somehow be a cheaper option for tickets, concessions, etc, is a, as Supertramp once sang, "Dreeeeeeeeeeeamer, nothing but a dreeeeamer"

CAN WE INSTEAD GET AN NFL TEAM PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
(and now i will go sing Dreamer, towards myself)

Reactions: nsleaf and ACC1224

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So I know Leafs/Sabres have this veto power with location... I guess it may be dumb question, so apologize ahead of time, but how does Cali get away with Anaheim and LA so close, plus the NY teams (Islanders, Rangers, Devils) and what not. Wouldn't the Rangers have veto power? Or is it because of crazy amount of people?

If GTA had the population of NY area, would it be different?
I expect population is the big driver. I'm pretty sure the population of California is greater than all of Canada

Personally I've never gotten the draw of a second GTA team. Buffalo is a reasonable drive for most, Detroit and some others aren't even bad for a weekend trip.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Personally I think if they ever did add another team. Markham is the location. It’s north, you can build an area there and people can get their easily. Markham is growing rapidly and has a lot of money. You will also get a lot of the east GTA people there.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I've been going to Marlies games for years now:

Kadri
Fraser
Nylander
Robertson
McMann
Gardiner
Woll
Holl
Hyman
Kapanen
Sandin
Liljegren
Douglas

etc.

Plenty of good hockey and players. No need to support a Mrs. Sausage NHL team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I doubt it. Nowhere near enough corporate money. Winnipeg has been struggling to keep a 16K arena close to filled, which I think has killed off the idea of any smaller Canadian city from getting a team for the foreseeable future

Reactions: CDN24

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Not a big enough population to support a team, and too far away for people to travel to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad