Another Southwestern Ontario / GTA NHL team ? [Mississauga?]

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Canada deserves another team in SouthWestern Ontario.

Far enough away from Buffalo so they won't complain. Toronto can handle it. I'm thinking Mississauga.

There has been enough growth in the USA. Time for Canada to get another team.

I shouldn't have to wait for Bettman to die to see another team in Ontario.

Ottawa is too far to go to watch games. The Leafs are some Corporate hodge podge of sushi and suits that really smells bad now. I loved the Leafs growing up, but the spirit of the team has died. In the end, it's hockey I love more than the Leafs. It's too bad the league solely caters to owners and the fans mean nothing. I guess it's not about hockey anymore, it's about money. The core purpose of the League is there to make money for owners.

What are the chances of another team in Ontario ? How would another team impact the Leafs ?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Yep, dumb thread on a topic that's been beaten to death. :deadhorse
Hasn't been a thread in 10 years.

So the Leafs are the biggest barrier to a team in Ontario ? a bigger barrier than the NHL itself ? Hmmmmm.

If that was true, Ford should say he'd try to bring a team to the GTA for election pandering.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

So the Leafs are the biggest barrier to a team in Ontario ? a bigger barrier than the NHL itself ? Hmmmmm.

If that was true, Ford should say he'd try to bring a team to the GTA for election pandering.
Yeah, the Leafs have never allowed another team within their geographic control. Hard to blame them. The fee MLSE would get to allow another team in the area would probably pale in comparison to the long-term brand degradation of having another team in the area.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Yeah, the Leafs have never allowed another team within their geographic control. Hard to blame them. The fee MLSE would get to allow another team in the area would probably pale in comparison to the long-term brand degradation of having another team in the area.
The province needs to step in.

Buck a beer Ford is the obvious choice.

There is a never ending decline of hockey in Canada and the youth need more inspiration. Does no one think about the kids ?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Too many teams in Canada now and another won’t add any consumers.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The Leafs and Sabres, yes - both teams have veto powers for a potential new team in the GTA region, given the proximity of that team to where both those teams currently are located / fans reside.

This was explored quite well during the whole Jim Balsillie / Hamilton Hockey Team situation several years ago - there were people laughing off the idea of a team in Hamilton, despite the season ticket sales drive that saw thousands of tickets sold, because the consensus was that the Leafs and Sabres would never have let it actually happen.

The same would apply here.

Reactions: Buds17

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
My advice:

1. Watch "Blackberry" the movie
2. Dream

______

This is a tried and true fan reaction to TOR's disappointments. The post-JFJ era saw a lot of threads like this. Even the Burke era.

_______

Buffalo will turn things around soon. Go drive there. It's closer than Ottawa.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
0 chance this will ever happen. Even though it'll bring more money then 90% of NHL teams the league would rather put a team in Cabo to "grow the game"

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
My advice:

1. Watch "Blackberry" the movie
2. Dream
My wife wants me to see it. It'll probably happen.

This is a tried and true fan reaction to TOR's disappointments. The post-JFJ era saw a lot of threads like this. Even the Burke era.
Good point.
I think Eastern Ontario has their team (either Montreal or Ottawa).

and then the only option is the Leafs.

I think it's ridiculous there is only one Team west of HWY417 / Queensway for the rest of the province.

Hockey is dying in Ontario. Time to inspire the youth.

Buffalo will turn things around soon. Go drive there. It's closer than Ottawa.

Great place to watch games.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Good point.

I think it's ridiculous there is only one Team west of HWY417 / Queensway for the rest of the province.

I agree with some of what you said. I don't think hockey is dying in Ontario. Dying to me means: "near dead", and I don't think hockey in Ontario is near dead. Kids are playing other sports. Sometimes it's due to demographics, cost, the popularity of the raptors, etc. If you visit small towns throughout Ontario there is still a lot of interest.

My advice is to spend your money on the Marlies. The cost of a ticket/beer is more reasonable , and the product is great.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Good point.

Hockey isn't dying in Ontario because of the leafs sucking.

This would be like saying Football is dying in Texas because the teams from Texas haven't done anything since the 90s.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The province needs to step in.

Buck a beer Ford is the obvious choice.

There is a never ending decline of hockey in Canada and the youth need more inspiration. Does no one think about the kids ?
The decline isn't because of the lack of another NHL team or a lack of success... Hockey is expensive, and demographics have changed.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
I would rather Quebec City get a team back. But it's complicated. Winnipeg isn't exactly thriving but Quebec City is undoubtedly filled with more passionate people. Plus I like Quebec City more, cool cool City.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Your opinions are steadily getting worse.

Without hockey in Canada, the US markets would have zero chance of survival.

The revenue that Mon and Tor bring along props up the NHL.
But there’s not a lot more revenue. IMO, They should contract the league, but if they are going to expand why not in a new market.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
When an ownership group gets a franchise, they get full territorial rights over their geographical area. I'm not sure what the borders are for the Leafs, but certainly Mississauga would fall within this area. Possibly Hamilton as well.

Also, with the way the CDN dollar is trending, there may not be too much eagerness for more CDN markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad