Annoying TV Commercials - 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
This is off topic but during the regular season I (as a yank) got some Canadian feeds and was surprised to see lawyer commercials.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
The amount of gambling ads is really nuts in Canada the last year and a bit.

Obvious that some laws were changed.

Gambling is totally cool up here, kids are watching these commercials and that's fine apparently.

I don't know if it's actually Canada wide or an Ontario thing though.
It's Canada wide.

• Wow

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Gambling is totally cool up here, kids are watching these commercials and that's fine apparently.

Mobile gambling became legal in Mass a month ago and Draft Kings has been running this nonstop - Even the Bruins anthem singer got a cameo

The ad blitz has paid off - the amount bet from March 10th to 31st

Screenshot 2023-04-19 034352.png

Screenshot 2023-04-19 034521.png

• Wow

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I just love that cool cat commercial and everyone I know wants to kill me because of that

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

I was in high school when Pro-Line started allowing betting on Raptors games.
One of the conditions for the franchise was that there would be no legal gambling on the team.

I know I reminisce about the glory days of high school fondly, but they truly were simpler times.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The gambling ads are utterly awful. Not to mention immoral and in bad faith.

This is what it's like watching an NHL game's broadcast these days:

"The NHL is for EVERYONE."

"The NHL fights racism!"

"The NHL supports communities, kids, and women in hockey!"

"GAMBLE, GAMBLE, GAMBLE!! Download every gambling app!! Hey, kids -- GAMBLING!!"

I mean, it's embarrassing.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
The gambling ads are utterly awful. Not to mention immoral and in bad faith.

This is what it's like watching an NHL game's broadcast these days:

"The NHL is for EVERYONE."

"The NHL fights racism!"

"The NHL supports communities, kids, and women in hockey!"

"GAMBLE, GAMBLE, GAMBLE!! Download every gambling app!! Hey, kids -- GAMBLING!!"

I mean, it's embarrassing.
I can't wait for Bettman to go.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
That damn Steve Dangle one about enjoying an ice cold coke watching HNIC and getting roasted for eating home cooked meals as if it’s superior to eat McDonald’s or something. Worst commercial ever

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Listen. I know we aren’thrilled about the gambling ads. But have you guys heard about Draft Kings in the last 5 minutes?

It’s not gambling. It’s betting. And that’s not the same. Plus Draft Kings. NHL has a draft. It must be ok.

Seriously though. Just rip the bandaid off. Throw in some hooker and smack ads while they’re at it to hit the trifecta of degeneracy.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Listen. I know we aren’thrilled about the gambling ads. But have you guys heard about Draft Kings in the last 5 minutes?

It’s not gambling. It’s betting. And that’s not the same. Plus Draft Kings. NHL has a draft. It must be ok.

Seriously though. Just rip the bandaid off. Throw in some hooker and smack ads while they’re at it to hit the trifecta of degeneracy.
Ha, ha, good thinking.

"Hockey is for EVERYONE... including prostitutes.

Call 1-900-SHE-WILL after tonight's game!!"

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I find in general that NHL coverage has a huge problem with saturation of the same f***ing ads. Not the same companies, per se, but running the exact same five ads in a loop. What leads them to believe that viewers enjoy this? It has a purely negative effect on me and how I view the companies advertizing their products and services. Just give me some variety.

I loved that Freddie Mercury ad too... the first time. If you're watching a lot of playoff hockey, you want to rip out your eyeballs and pierce your eardrums by this point. We're two games into the postseason.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
What they really need is cross over commercials. Like Marvel.

Finally got your child to sleep thanks to children’s Advil for colds? Draft Kings can help you fill the void of silence betting on the over under on tonight’s Leaf game.

Bored watching your tighty whities come super clean thanks to Tides new super pods (no eating please)? Draft Kings lets you lose your mortgage payment in just a few minutes! Get playing today and you can wear nothing but your underwear for weeks on end!

The possibilities are endless!

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
I don't understand that commercial, making the best of a bad situation by ordering on Amazon? It has to be more nuanced doesn't it?

Reactions: SoupNazi

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The Verizon's ones always seem really smug.

More annoyingly I've had hot chocolate everyone's a winner stuck in my head the past week due to ESPN playing the guitar riff before going to the commericals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad