Proposal: (ANH/TOR) Helleson for Liljegren

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
It's not even a down year. When he was given a chance later in the season he excelled.

The facts just are Keefe never trusted him and when the playoff came around he would sit him regardless of how he did when he was in.

Liljegren is an enigma. He tends to crush third-pairing minutes for the most part but has been very inconsistent when given a bigger role. He'll give you a week where he looks like he's finally the top 4 guy he's supposed to be, then the next week he's throwing pizzas up and down the ice. A couple rough playoffs to boot.

Still, it makes no sense to throw him away for an AHL defenseman. If the Leafs wanted to dump Liljegren's cap, they wouldn't have qualified him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Liljegren is an enigma. He tends to crush third-pairing minutes for the most part but has been very inconsistent when given a bigger role. He'll give you a week where he looks like he's finally the top 4 guy he's supposed to be, then the next week he's throwing pizzas up and down the ice. A couple rough playoffs to boot.

Still, it makes no sense to throw him away for an AHL defenseman. If the Leafs wanted to dump Liljegren's cap, they wouldn't have qualified him.

You have it backwards. When he is given top 4 minutes he crushes it but is very inconsistent with lower minutes

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't understand why Ducks fans are turning this down.

I let me be VERY clear, I HATE the extension he got, I am unbelievable sick of him, I want him gone 2 years ago.

But even I will tell you this would be ROBBERY by the Ducks, if this were actually on the table the ducks would take it faster than Treliving could finish speaking.

Ledge And Dairy

I think you and I disagree on Liljegren's defensive capabilities.

Look dont get offended. Obviously this is super tilted in favor of the Ducks, but I just dont see Toronto giving up on a guy they just signed, and I don't see PV wanting to pair with Zellweger.

Maybe Im wrong.
Oh don't worry, I'm not offended. I'm not a Leafs fan. I'm giving a completely outside opinion here. I think if you are looking for someone with the potential to be a long term partner and a #4 guy Liljegren can be that if he takes the next step. He's fine defensively already but could definitely be better. I could absolutely see him developing into a Matt Roy type player

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

I let me be VERY clear, I HATE the extension he got, I am unbelievable sick of him, I want him gone 2 years ago.

But even I will tell you this would be ROBBERY by the Ducks, if this were actually on the table the ducks would take it faster than Treliving could finish speaking.
Because he’s not a player we need, if we’re going to deal prospects it should be for players that will actually help fill our roster

Reactions: bernmeister

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Not so much turning it down and dismissing it as unrealistic. Toronto isn't going to be shopping a player they just signed. Anaheim isn't going to call on a Dman who really doesn't fit a need. If this was EA sports and the offer popped up randomly, that's a different story but in reality this is a conversation I don't see either team starting.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Liljegren killed it at the World Championships a while ago in a bigger role.

I’m excited to see how he does with a new coach in a bigger role. He would thrive with PP time out the gate this year with a real NHL coach (for a change).

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Isn't this basically giving Liljegren away for free? I feel like another team would offer a little more, and I wouldn't say Anaheim is a team that specifically needs defensive depth.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Liljegren is not the type of guy they need. Value wise its fine obviously, but I would rather make a trade where we get a guy that actually fits the need.
If nothing else it's two years of a guy that helps keep the Ducks comfortably above the cap floor. I don't think Liljegren is some anchor contract that we'd have no use for and I've always been one to criticize the post draft hype he got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad