Andrey "The Moscow Monster" Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
i expected this player gone. i am surprised by the signing. i am surprised by the guaranteed minor salary.

after the way his ahl season ended, which suggested green didn't like or trust him, it makes no sense at all to me.

that being said, we just hired travis green. i assume that means green's opinion counts for something. nobody would know pedan's flaws better than green.

it seems really unlikely we signed a guy that green coached last year without asking him about it, and even more unlikely we would sign a guy who green knows really well and doesn't want to play in the nhl as pretty much our first move after hiring green.

so i am prepared to entertain the idea there is something here i don't know about what green thinks of pedan.

by all means go ahead and assume otherwise.

My guess is management was terrified by the potential optics of losing two young defencemen to Russia.

How do you go from an agent publicly stating their goal is a qualifying offer to a massive minor league raise and NHL salary above his qualifying offer in less than a month?

New agent for Pedan says the goal is to qet qualified by the #Canucks and not go to Russia.

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/854398771173539840

Andrey Pedan #Canucks
1 year Extension for 2017-18

NHL: $750,000
Minor: $200,000
* $300K guaranteed at the minor level https://t.co/9Qp8zGp9hm

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/859865253663965184

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He hasn't met expectations for sure, but I'm fine with the re-signing as some organizational depth. Reviews on him last year were mixed for sure, but as others mentioned I'm sure Green knows the player pretty well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My guess is management was terrified by the potential optics of losing two young defencemen to Russia.

How do you go from an agent publicly stating their goal is a qualifying offer to a massive minor league raise and NHL salary above his qualifying offer in less than a month?

I think his goal was probably a one-way qualifying offer and this was a compromise so that he would make a decent salary.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I think his goal was probably a one-way qualifying offer and this was a compromise so that he would make a decent salary.

I don't think so because he specified a qualifying offer was the goal and not a one-way deal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i expected this player gone. i am surprised by the signing. i am surprised by the guaranteed minor salary.

after the way his ahl season ended, which suggested green didn't like or trust him, it makes no sense at all to me.

that being said, we just hired travis green. i assume that means green's opinion counts for something. nobody would know pedan's flaws better than green.

it seems really unlikely we signed a guy that green coached last year without asking him about it, and even more unlikely we would sign a guy who green knows really well and doesn't want to play in the nhl as pretty much our first move after hiring green.

so i am prepared to entertain the idea there is something here i don't know about what green thinks of pedan.

by all means go ahead and assume otherwise.

Green obviously didn't like Pedan too much because he was healthy scratching him on numerous occasions last year and using him as a depth defender.

And even if Green likes him .... Green isn't his coach next year. This player doesn't have a hope in hell of making the NHL squad. And you have to put logic ahead of 'oh, the coach likes this guy'. Pedan sucks and there is no way he should have been brought back.

The organization will only have a couple $300k AHL salaries and to waste one of them on a player this poor is terrible decision making. And this is why this team never has depth.

This is a salary that should be spent on a top AHL veteran who can serve both as a useful callup and as a good mentor/partner for a young defender like Brisebois. Like Robak. But instead Robak will probably walk and our AHL blueline will be even worse than last year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, wow.

How Pedan had ANY leverage to get any sort of raise is a complete mystery. Brutal.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He's shown flashes over the last couple of years. Ended on a low note and hasnt been able to find consistency, but his good flashes have been good enough that I don't have any issue giving him another year to see if he can figure it out. Despite MS's typical hyperbolic bluster, Pedan is only 23, there's still time for him to take another step. As long as he doesn't count against the cap when he's in Utica, I couldn't care less how much he gets paid in the minors.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Absolutely agreed that it's the first one...but Ryan Miller got 18M as a 34 year old free agent with no other suitors, coming off of a poor playoff performance.

qC9QRe.gif

He's shown flashes over the last couple of years. Ended on a low note and hasnt been able to find consistency, but his good flashes have been good enough that I don't have any issue giving him another year to see if he can figure it out. Despite MS's typical hyperbolic bluster, Pedan is only 23, there's still time for him to take another step. As long as he doesn't count against the cap when he's in Utica, I couldn't care less how much he gets paid in the minors.

"Another step" is possible, but that would literally just mean being an AHL player. He needs another 50 steps.

This not my money approach is why people were okay with Brandon Sutter making what he makes. Unfortunately, that has real life consequences on the rest of the team. It's not bluster to suggest that Aquilini isn't going to give a dozen players the AHL max salary. If you have any interest in Utica succeeding, giving a bad player the AHL max therefore matters.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Guess they needed to give some more mileage out of those Chris Pronger tapes. Definitely a reactionary move following the Tryamkin departure.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Absolutely agreed that it's the first one...but Ryan Miller got 18M as a 34 year old free agent with no other suitors, coming off of a poor playoff performance.

qC9QRe.gif

"Another step" is possible, but that would literally just mean being an AHL player. He needs another 50 steps.

This not my money approach is why people were okay with Brandon Sutter making what he makes. Unfortunately, that has real life consequences on the rest of the team. It's not bluster to suggest that Aquilini isn't going to give a dozen players the AHL max salary. If you have any interest in Utica succeeding, giving a bad player the AHL max therefore matters.

No, if he finds consistency then he's an AHLer. At his best over.the past couple of years he's looked like a top 4 AHLblueliner. Next step would be decent call up option. If he becomes that--consistent top.4 in Utica while filling one of the top call-up options--then the contract is fine. That's not an unrealistic expectation, when you keep in mind the highs he's had over the past couple of years rather than jus5 focus on how his season ended.

I'm not sure why his game regressed last season to the point of being a healthy scratch down the stretch, but I understand I don't necessarily have all the facts and that management might be privy to some information that explains his play. He still has an attractive mix of size, skill and toughness. Worth one more look imo.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He was a 3rd pairing healthy scratch in his 4th year at this level. Players in that situation never turn into anything, ever. He can't skate and he's dumb as rocks in his own zone.

And your last sentence is just silly and naive. There is a budget for Utica and we'll only have a couple $300k contracts on the team. Utica had all kinds of problems with depth and a lack of quality players last year, and this signing will prevent the signing of a quality veteran defender to help round out that blueline. You don't build a good AHL team by handing out contracts like this to such marginal players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another guy who'll benefit from a coaching change in VanCity.....Willie had him pigeon-holed as a depth d-man......every time the guy came up he just sat, while Biega got all his potential ice-time.

If he plays 20 games in the row, maybe the Canucks finally figure out what they actually have in Pedan.....reports of his play from Utica weren't promising, particularly in his own zone, and he did clear waivers last year with no takers.

But the Canucks blueline is getting so thin, he'll get a long look in training camp along with a guy like McEneny ,with whom he was paired last year in Utica.....it's the 'rebuild' folks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No, if he finds consistency then he's an AHLer. At his best over.the past couple of years he's looked like a top 4 AHLblueliner. Next step would be decent call up option. If he becomes that--consistent top.4 in Utica while filling one of the top call-up options--then the contract is fine. That's not an unrealistic expectation, when you keep in mind the highs he's had over the past couple of years rather than jus5 focus on how his season ended.

I'm not sure why his game regressed last season to the point of being a healthy scratch down the stretch, but I understand I don't necessarily have all the facts and that management might be privy to some information that explains his play. He still has an attractive mix of size, skill and toughness. Worth one more look imo.

I agree. I thought Pedan's development had peaked after seeing him at training camp but thought he would have a solid year in the AHL and get some callups. Somehow his game regressed perhaps due to lack of callips? Personally he was reached the point where many prospects reach. Give him one last chance or let him go it really doesn't make much difference. Regardless, despite the lack of opportunities last season it sounds like he really wanted to be back (and also knows his situation). He has been relied on in the past so the notion that he isn't even good enough to be a top 4 Dman in the AHL is typical hyperbolic bluster from a certain poster like you said.

Did Tryamkin leaving help lead to this signing? I think so. The Canucks probably want some depth in the size and toughness department both for the team and in the AHL. The Comets without further Vet acquisitions on the backend is pretty soft. A guy like Robak isn't the same type of Dman. Speaking of vets, Pedan also happens to not be a vet despite his AHL experience which is a plus if the AHL decides to lower the vet maximum.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Good news. Hopefully he gets a decent shot at making it. We desperately need some of the things Pedan brings.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How is it 'hyperbolic bluster' to call a guy a poor AHL depth player when the player wasn't even good enough to play regularly down the stretch for a non-playoff team with no depth?

Like, do you guys run to apologize for everything these guys do? I'm pretty sure Benning could trade Horvat for Dan Girardi tomorrow and you'd be trying to spin it as a good move.

_________

We're going to have a very young blueline in Utica next year with Brisebois/McEneny/Subban/Chatfield and will need 2-3 quality veterans there to stabilize things. Using a $300k AHL salary on a fringe AHL player who needs to be sheltered with a stabilizing partner himself is lousy team building. Period.

If they wanted to give him a last chance on a piddling AHL salary I wouldn't really care. But that this guy just got a 300% raise for doing nothing is awful.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Guess they needed to give some more mileage out of those Chris Pronger tapes. Definitely a reactionary move following the Tryamkin departure.

The admin of this team are so laughably reactionary it's not even funny anymore. Not only so but they also telegraph almost every one of their moves...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We're going to have a very young blueline in Utica next year with Brisebois/McEneny/Subban/Chatfield and will need 2-3 quality veterans there to stabilize things. Using a $300k AHL salary on a fringe AHL player who needs to be sheltered with a stabilizing partner himself is lousy team building. Period.

I view that as a positive as it'll better acclimate Demko to the conditions he'll likely experience with the parent club...:naughty:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pedan has been a good AHL player for most of his time in Utica up until the second half of last season. I guess if you focus only on the last few months it's a bad signing.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How is it 'hyperbolic bluster' to call a guy a poor AHL depth player when the player wasn't even good enough to play regularly down the stretch for a non-playoff team with no depth?

He explained it. Maybe read his posts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad