Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Shaw atleast gives 100%. And him being paid too much is irrelevant while we have have so much cap space. Becoming a whipping boy because he's a depth player and some must have been expecting an impact player when he was acquired.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Shaw atleast gives 100%. And him being paid too much is irrelevant while we have have so much cap space. Becoming a whipping boy because he's a depth player and some must have been expecting an impact player when he was acquired.

Paying two very good 2nd round picks is not irrelevant though. Will never be. That's too much for a guy like him.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Paying two very good 2nd round picks is not irrelevant though. Will never be. That's too much for a guy like him.

He was also playing top-6 and 1st PP unit on most nights

Don't we have any better players? :/

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I like Shaw a lot as a player but paying assets for a player like him when we didn't have more important peices in place is confusing. He would be a solid add to a team with a more complete roster. Too bad it probably won't work out here.

Reactions: Carey Chant

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Good news, now we can have a 1st line of Drouin - Shaw - Shaw while Galchenyuk goes back to the 4th line with Deslauriers as center

Reactions: Peanut

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Debrincat has 39 points in 55 games as a rookie. Don't tell me he wouldn't be doing the same thing here, Hawks have been worse than the Habs lately, and Debrincat is getting bottom 6 minutes as Q refuses to play him.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Debrincat has 39 points in 55 games as a rookie. Don't tell me he wouldn't be doing the same thing here, Hawks have been worse than the Habs lately, and Debrincat is getting bottom 6 minutes as Q refuses to play him.

To be fair, the trade could have worked out for us has Bergevin not been a mongoloid and traded Subban, and just went all in.

That being said, the 2 seconds was too much to pay... and yes I’d much rather DeBrincat

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
To be fair, the trade could have worked out for us has Bergevin not been a mongoloid and traded Subban, and just went all in.

That being said, the 2 seconds was too much to pay... and yes I’d much rather DeBrincat
Or if Bergevin actually stuck to his original plan and didn't have the biggest hard on for french players. He wanted you players back for Subban, and it was right there with Horvat, Keller, Tanev. He completely changed his mindset and wanted to go for it in a span of hours. Had he stuck to the original plan, Shaw trade never would have happened. Horvat, Keller, Tanev, Sergachev, Debrincat and Girard.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Or if Bergevin actually stuck to his original plan and didn't have the biggest hard on for french players. He wanted you players back for Subban, and it was right there with Horvat, Keller, Tanev. He completely changed his mindset and wanted to go for it in a span of hours. Had he stuck to the original plan, Shaw trade never would have happened. Horvat, Keller, Tanev, Sergachev, Debrincat and Girard.

FML

:facepalm:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Report is unclear if Habs were adding the 9th overall to Subban for Horvat, Tanev and 5th. Nevertheless, that would have helped us drastically. But hey, at least we got Shea "past his prime" Weber, Jonathan "can't score 15 goals" Drouin and Andrew "injury prone" Shaw.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's not Shaw's fault though is it

The trade no but the contract it's on him as much as the GM. Nobody forces a player to sign a contract. If you don't deliver you deserve to be criticized and so far can't say Shaw delivers on this almost 4 millions a year 6 years contract. That's just 1M less than AG. If AG is not delivering with an almost 50 points production then what about Shaw? AG has 49 points in his last 82 games while Shaw has 33 points in his last 82 games. Both kind of *** defensively speaking and don't get me started with the infamous intangibles we can't evaluate because that's what intangibles are all about. It's not like Shaw is very physical either. He has 138 hits in his last 82 games. That's not terrible but that's very far from the best.

Shaw is pretty much paid like a 2nd line player and i don't consider 30 points as 2nd line production personally and i don't think he is physical enough or good defensively enough to justify this kind of production at this salary. Will be interesting to see what Tom Wilson will get this summer. He's far more physical than Shaw and has 34 points in his last 82 games. Would not be surprised of he gets less than Shaw and it will surprise me if the contract is more than 4 years.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Andrew Shaw. On a good team, he's a great piece to have when healthy. He really stepped up his game under Julien in the latter part of last season. It would've been nice to see what he could do if the team wasn't total crap this year.

That said, he certainly isn't untouchable, and if someone wants him badly enough then merci Andrew, et bonne journée.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Two 2nd for Shaw would have been fine if this would have been two ~50th picks and Shaw would have not asked for this kind of contract. Chicago was in a position where they did not want to sign him and had to ideally trade him before the upcoming season starts. And the teams were not lining up to get him at this price right before the UFA market. Usually it should reduce the value of a player.

I mean one of the pick we gave was a 39th pick. This is very close to 1st round and there's still very interesting prospects at this rank almost every years. The other was a 45th pick and while not as good (quality drops fast in the 2nd round) it was still a good pick. I mean come on people are actually right now debating if we will get a late first and a b quality prospect for Patch and there's 1 year and an half remaining to his contract. A contract that is not much more expensive than Shaw ... For god sake that's basically what we gave for an unsigned Shaw asking for too much money ...

People like to say we got the same for Eller but that's false. We got two end of 2nd round pick for Eller and they were two years apart while we gave a top of 2nd pick and a middle of 2nd round pick for Shaw both the same year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Andrew Shaw.

Maybe it doesn't show but i liked Shaw a lot when he was playing for Chicago. I still kind of like the guy. But sadly he's not worth this contract and the price we paid for him. I just can't get past that. I love this team more than like Shaw and acquiring Shaw for this price was not the right move to improve the team. Doesn't mean i hate Shaw but i'll remain very critical of this trade and this contract. The trade is all on MB. The contract is half on MB and half on Shaw himself and his agent.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The trade no but the contract it's on him as much as the GM. Nobody forces a player to sign a contract. If you don't deliver you deserve to be criticized and so far can't say Shaw delivers on this almost 4 millions a year 6 years contract. That's just 1M less than AG. If AG is not delivering with an almost 50 points production then what about Shaw? AG has 49 points in his last 82 games while Shaw has 33 points in his last 82 games. Both kind of *** defensively speaking and don't get me started with the infamous intangibles we can't evaluate because that's what intangibles are all about. It's not like Shaw is very physical either. He has 138 hits in his last 82 games. That's not terrible but that's very far from the best.

Shaw is pretty much paid like a 2nd line player and i don't consider 30 points as 2nd line production personally and i don't think he is physical enough or good defensively enough to justify this kind of production at this salary. Will be interesting to see what Tom Wilson will get this summer. He's far more physical than Shaw and has 34 points in his last 82 games. Would not be surprised of he gets less than Shaw and it will surprise me if the contract is more than 4 years.

I think shaw has been good when not injured

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

This is all wrong. Check what you’re saying before you posts.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This is all wrong. Check what you’re saying before you posts.
Which part? It was leaked that Bergevin had Oilers and Canucks as suitors for Subban and he was looking at young impactful player. Then he comes out and says that Weber was offered on draft day so he took the offer. And I have already mentioned that it was unclear whether we would have included the 9th overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad