Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lot of crow to be eaten on this guy. Shaw has been one of, if not our best player, during this brief stretch. He has been all over the ice and doing all the right things. Great to see him having success and putting up some numbers to go with his hard work.

Totally agree! He’s proven the doubters wrong!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lot of crow to be eaten on this guy. Shaw has been one of, if not our best player, during this brief stretch. He has been all over the ice and doing all the right things. Great to see him having success and putting up some numbers to go with his hard work.

I'm liking the way he's been playing and hope it continues. But, the eating crow thing is early -- you'd need to see how well he does the rest of the year and whether his current play is sustainable. I'd like to see him put up better numbers in consideration of the salary and term he has and for that, he'd have to be able to continue to see PP time and play in the top 6. I really didn't like what he brought last season and if this continues, it's as if he's trying to set a new standard -- I hope this is who Shaw really is. Time will tell.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Andrew Shaw...one of this boards most hated players is having a decent year.

On pace for 20 goals and 43pts

After the difficult year he had health wise last year, I hope he can continue playing the way he has.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Andrew Shaw...one of this boards most hated players is having a decent year.

On pace for 20 goals and 43pts

After the difficult year he had health wise last year, I hope he can continue playing the way he has.

Still shouldn't give long term deals to this type of player, as you mentioned injuries come with the game style. I don't fault the player however this is 100% on the GM. That being said, happy to have Shaw as he brings a different element to the team. I am sure some fans don't like him but most I think just didn't like the contract. Almost how Gomez got undeserved hate for being signed to a rich deal and then at the end just caving under the pressure.

I say this often but fans sometimes forget players are only humans that are very good at a sport but humans none the less...

Reactions: Et le But and 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Totally agree! He’s proven the doubters wrong!

Gee I wish he was in the lineup. This guy ain't Wendel Clark heck he ain't even Gallagher and he's costing the team. It really doesn't get much simpler than that. His positives aren't enough to carry his negatives considering his salary.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Gee I wish he was in the lineup. This guy ain't Wendel Clark heck he ain't even Gallagher and he's costing the team. It really doesn't get much simpler than that. His positives aren't enough to carry his negatives considering his salary.

just wait till the playoffs.....he is a warrior......oh wait :sarcasm::sarcasm:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

The Habs need goals, only 4 players have more goals then Shaw and all of them have played in every game. It's not his fault he got injured. I can see bashing management for overpaying him as he's the 9th highest paid Hab by cap hit. or overpaying to get him but bashing the guy for being injured?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The Habs need goals, only 4 players have more goals then Shaw and all of them have played in every game. It's not his fault he got injured. I can see bashing management for overpaying him as he's the 9th highest paid Hab by cap hit. or overpaying to get him but bashing the guy for being injured?

He gets flack because of the whole thing.

He is associated with Bergevin, whether you agree that matters or not. This was a guy Bergevin overpaid to acquire, and then overpaid to sign long term. He is the prototype for the faulty kind of player Bergevin and his supporters fetishise.

He takes bad penalties, and plays well in stretches. He never "showed up" in the playoffs the way everyone swore up and down he would.

He is known for throwing homophobic slurs around on the ice.

Now he's hurt. Yeah not his fault. But he's hurt for a long period, yet again. So glad we invested in this guy!

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
FWIW, this morning on Ottawa radio McGuire said a trade of Shaw would likely require salary retention. That seems to be the hallmark of an MB Signature Edition™️ contract

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think Shaw is a good piece to have in the middle 6 of your lineup and we got him through his prime years. He needs to stay healthy though

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
3.9M is nothing outrageous with the cap going up year after year.
I mean Desharnais could fetch something maybe someone would be dumb enough to take Shaw without dumping salary. Rather overpay an actual good player by 3M and have a 1M MB special play bottom 6

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm bashing the investment in a player who is likely to be more prone to injury than most. Woe to us if we have to rely on Shaw for offense. We should be investing in talent. Not imaginary grit.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad