Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Who knew Peeke had all these fans? I couldn't tell in the 45 trade deadline threads where one poster mentioned him. I see a guy who couldn't even draw in on one of the worst teams in the league, who would have been bought out. He looked like the same jag when he suited up for the Bruins. The extra money they are paying for him is ridiculous when they need a bonifide top 6 RW

That being said, Jay Leach is here now. Lohrei makes peanuts so you can absorb his overpaid salary on the third pair I guess.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Who knew Peeke had all these fans? I couldn't tell in the 45 trade deadline threads where one poster mentioned him. I see a guy who couldn't even draw in on one of the worst teams in the league, who would have been bought out. He looked like the same jag when he suited up for the Bruins. The extra money they are paying for him is ridiculous when they need a bonifide top 6 RW

That being said, Jay Leach is here now. Lohrei makes peanuts so you can absorb his overpaid salary on the third pair I guess.

You're forgetting one thing, Lou: Peeke now gets to work with Goalie Bob.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Agreed Lou.

I think Peeke will "fit" on the 3rd pair RD. Just like I think Korpisalo will end up being a serviceable backup.

But when cap space is at a premium, Sweeney seems to buy high on some players whose former GMs were looking to dump them. Especially when like you said, they have a hole in the top 6. A million or two overpay here and there adds up quick.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Agreed Lou.

I think Peeke will "fit" on the 3rd pair RD. Just like I think Korpisalo will end up being a serviceable backup.

But when cap space is at a premium, Sweeney seems to buy high on some players whose former GMs were looking to dump them. Especially when like you said, they have a hole in the top 6. A million or two overpay here and there adds up quick.
The extra 2 mil for Korpi and 1,25 mil for Peeke are killers. Add that to the 8.6 left and you could pay Sway 8 mil and still have 3 mil plus for a good winger

Reactions: LSCII and Kalus

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Who knew Peeke had all these fans? I couldn't tell in the 45 trade deadline threads where one poster mentioned him. I see a guy who couldn't even draw in on one of the worst teams in the league, who would have been bought out. He looked like the same jag when he suited up for the Bruins.

Not many people had their eyes on a RHD addition so I don't think many people were playing close attention to him. Our trade threads during the deadline were predominantly upgrading the center position but let's be honest, it doesn't really matter

Just because he wasn't a fit in CBJ and maybe slightly overpaid, doesn't make him useless. I thought the Bruins were a better team with him in the lineup so that's a win in my book. He's pretty much an ideal 3rd pair RHD, however much you think that is worth is up to you.

If you think guys like him are 1mil in FA though you just haven't been paying attention. The days of quality bottom pairing defenseman costing that much are long gone. You get guys like Josh Brown and Shatty now at that price.

Take a guy like Vincent Desharanis for example who is probably someone of a similar ilk. He got 2x2 and had the same amount of points as Peeke with 40 more games.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Imo, biggest problem: as a bottom pair he makes too much money. That being said, I'd definitely trade him.
Forbort made 3M, Gryz made more, he's better than both. Gryz may have played up the lineup, but ultimately his talent got beat out of him over a season. Forbort was a one trick pony blocking machine that was a human turnstile. Peeke will be a better 3rd line D man than either at that money.
I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, but give him a camp with the coaching staff and not have his second 15-20 games of integration be the playoffs and we'll see what he is.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He has only 36 AHL games to his name. He Played For USA in the WJT 2018. He was miss used in Columbus. Only 3 full time years in the NHL. The best is yet to come.

The best better be yet to come because I’m not sure it could get any worse.

Over the last three seasons he’s had the 13th most GA while on ice in the league. Everyone with more had at roughly 500 or more minutes played than him

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I love Peeke, he has snarl to his game. His contract isn't even that bad, it was just bad for Columbus where the coaching staff didn't know how to use him so they'd scratch him.
It is now official Boston Bruins 2024 official whipping boy the one and only Andrew Peeke. Should Andrew fail to live up to the failures predicted of him who might be his replacement.

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Peeke was fine last year. I just wish he had more offensive awareness. He has blue line blinders on, always making the super safe play of dumping the puck back to the corner (sometimes to no one) - I wish he'd try more often to make a play or hit the net...

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
The best better be yet to come because I’m not sure it could get any worse.

Over the last three seasons he’s had the 13th most GA while on ice in the league. Everyone with more had at roughly 500 or more minutes played than him
And he personal was responsible and not a combination of the sh*tty teammates on the ice with him.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And he personal was responsible and not a combination of the sh*tty teammates on the ice with him.

Sure not solely responsible, many factors. However he had the worst +/- in the nhl in 22/23. Not only worst on his team but the entire nhl.

He was one of those shitty teammates. Legitimate case for him being among the worst regular players in the NHL that year.

• Wow
Reactions: Mad-Marcus

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Not many people had their eyes on a RHD addition so I don't think many people were playing close attention to him. Our trade threads during the deadline were predominantly upgrading the center position but let's be honest, it doesn't really matter

Just because he wasn't a fit in CBJ and maybe slightly overpaid, doesn't make him useless. I thought the Bruins were a better team with him in the lineup so that's a win in my book. He's pretty much an ideal 3rd pair RHD, however much you think that is worth is up to you.

If you think guys like him are 1mil in FA though you just haven't been paying attention. The days of quality bottom pairing defenseman costing that much are long gone. You get guys like Josh Brown and Shatty now at that price.

Take a guy like Vincent Desharanis for example who is probably someone of a similar ilk. He got 2x2 and had the same amount of points as Peeke with 40 more games.

Yup. I have a post somewhere ( maybe in this thread ) that showed he was in line $$$ wise with other RHD of his standing ( 3rd pair ).

Reactions: CellyHard

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not trying to make him my binky, but I feel he's better than people are saying. Columbus was a dumpster fire last year with Babcock being hired and fired before the season, an interim coach, players wanting out, bad goaltending, no real veteran leadership, Laine having his issues, etc. It's possible that a guy who didn't fit that system at all could in fact fit well in a better system surrounded by a better leadership core. We've seen it before.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston

The Peeke talk got real quiet when he came into the lineup and played well. It picked up again when had some trouble handling the puck after a puck broke his hand in game 2 vs the Leafs. I expect it will be very quiet again on October 8.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I don’t think people have a problem with Peeke, they have a problem with the trade. Columbus fans we’re doing flips when they learned all they had to do was take on Zboril’s contract in order to get out from under Peeke’s negative value contract and somehow they got a future 3rd out of the deal which delighted and perplexed them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• MLS All Star Game
    MLS All Star Game
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $90.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:

Ad

Ad