Value of: Andreas Athanasiou

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Would definitely consider it for a signed Shattenkirk, Shatty is definitely what we need more so then Fowler Shattenkirk or Trouba should be the ones we should target at any cost.

Bingo. Only move him in a package for a top defender or else he has more value being a Red Wing and being a core member of the wings for many years to come.

Ducksgo*

For what it's worth according to Kahn the Ducks were asking for one of AA/Mantha + 16th pick at the draft for Fowler.

And apparently Detroit turned it down if true. So If we can't even get AA/Mantha+16th for Fowler what makes you guys think we can get Tatar+AA for him?

Tatars value definitely is worth more than a mid first round pick.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Bingo. Only move him in a package for a top defender or else he has more value being a Red Wing and being a core member of the wings for many years to come.

Exactly, Knowing Holland that's the only way either Mantha/AA get moved is in a deal for a top defender like Shattenkirk or Trouba if we had a decent LHD to give Winnipeg which we don't. It would've to be done in a 3-way then that's what i would be seeking other then that they stay with Detroit long term.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
And apparently Detroit turned it down if true. So If we can't even get AA/Mantha+16th for Fowler what makes you guys think we can get Tatar+AA for him?

Tatars value definitely is worth more than a mid first round pick.

Well not necessarily. Could just mean that the Wings wanted to get rid of the Datsyuk contract more than they wanted to acquire Fowler. The Ducks may have pulled the offer if their guy was off the board at 20. Anyways I would have taken the deal if I was the Wings.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
AA doesn't have the value of a top ten pick. No way. That said I wouldn't trade him for a mid first.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
AA doesn't have the value of a top ten pick. No way. That said I wouldn't trade him for a mid first.

But value is subjective, That's my biggest problem with most of the trade proposals on hf. Should two top six wingers and a high pick get you a trouba, objectively, probably, but the Jets have a plethora of wingers already so wingers aren't worth as much to them.

AA is fast, he's skilled, he can play all 3 forward positions and he is already one of the fastest skaters in the league in an era where speed is king. And detroit has been a playoff team for 25 years, so thinking for the future is obviously something they're good at, and at this point the speed kills philosophy isn't exactly innovative, but the wings have always been a team that brings a strategy into the next phase of the game, so aa may not be objectively worth a top 10 pick to the league, but he is to the wings.

Especially on a team thats in the middle of turning over their roster. Yeah, they still have kronwall and Zetterberg, but neither of them are half the players they were in their prime, and at this point datsyuk is definitely more than 1/2 of that equation. So trading off kids that have 10years in this league as relatively important pieces (5+ years as impact players, another few added to help teach the new guard winning ways leadership etc.) For less than they are worth to the team is the same thing as plugging one hole and opening another.

Would I take a top 10 pick for aa, if the draft is deep enough yes, but even if it was a historic year, I'd still wonder what if.

AA isn't going to be a superstar, but he definitely has star potential...

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
wow. take off the rose colored shades. AA is a good prospect, bu he was pretty mediocre in the AHL before his decent 10g/5a in 42 game stint in the NHL.

he is nowhere near a top 5 pick. mid 1st rd in the teens? possibly

As always context is important, something you don't get just looking at stats. He suffered through some tough injuries, but most importantly this is just how the Red Wings develop their prospects. They know AA has a ton of skill, they don't want their top prospects to simply focus on scoring in the AHL, they want them to show they can play a complete, 200 ft game. This is very important to the Red Wings brass and they hammer it into their prospects. AA was also moved around a lot, developing him as a C and a LW, teaching him all the responsibilities that come with both positions. This is a lot of information for a young guy to take in and incorporate into their game, there are growing pains that come with it and it most certainly affects their offensive output. In the end they believe it will make him a better player, time will tell.

That said, I will agree that him being worth a top 10 pick is a bit of a stretch but the Wings probably wouldn't move him for anything less.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have him very high in my books.

Couldn't believe he was a 4th rounder.

That skating ability and teams passed over on the guy like crazy.

Put him with Larkin and their speed makes them a top 6 line that drives other teams crazy.

I'll throw a big name player in a deal for AA.

In his draft season the tools were evident but he was one of those guys who left you wanting more. Then he broke out in his +1 season and the rest is history.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The Red Wings wonder why they can never score in the playoffs, it's because in the elimination game they do things like play Luke Glendening 17 min a game while AA gets a measly 5 min of ice time.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The Red Wings wonder why they can never score in the playoffs, it's because in the elimination game they do things like play Luke Glendening 17 min a game while AA gets a measly 5 min of ice time.

That's Blashill for you, Would rather give big minutes to Glendening then the guys like AA whom can score AA made the most out of his short minutes that should tell you something there.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
That's Blashill for you, Would rather give big minutes to Glendening then the guys like AA whom can score AA made the most out of his short minutes that should tell you something there.
It's not like every other coach in the league does the same thing (Including Babcock if ya'll already forgot.)

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
AA is a hard commodity to judge because his AHL seasons have been interrupted by unfortunate and random injuries and his sample size at NHL level is small.

But basically he bottoms out as a defensively ok 3rd line centre/wing with blazing speed and a high probability of 15-20 goals a year.

His peak projection might be as a borderline 1st/2nd line winger or 2nd line center who could put up 50-60 with the right linemates if his passing improves, with the potential for the odd monster season.

His absolute peak would be super budget Fedorov for a season or two, but that would be dreamland territory.

Is he Darren Helm with great hands (which actually would be a good hockey player before anyone cries foul) or can he elevate his all-round game to something more complete.

One thing is clear, his skillset means that he can be just as effective at NHL level as AHL, because in a tight, tactical game, someone with great speed and hands can break beyond the systems stifling the NHL with greater regularity than a more skilled but less dynamic AHL points monster.

I think what makes most wings fans very reluctant to see him be traded is a combination of the raw excitement he brings to the rink, that capacity to be dangerous at any point in any game, and the way his all round game is growing quicker than one would expect given his starting point. Good chemistry with Mantha doesn't hurt either.

Like others have said, he may be worth more to Detroit than buying teams because blazing speed and finishing ability are not exactly in excess supply on the wings roster. So while to most teams he's not worth much more than a late 1st rounder, to the wings he's probably worth a top 10 pick in a good draft year.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I saw him at Game 3 of the Lake Erie and honestly I came away more impressed with AA than I did Mantha.

AA's a bit more ready than Mantha. Mantha entered the A younger than most, had a severe leg break and came from the QMJHL. Mantha is coming off a very impressive GR seasons and a good stint with Detroit. AA is NHL ready. Mantha could go either way.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
AA is a hard commodity to judge because his AHL seasons have been interrupted by unfortunate and random injuries and his sample size at NHL level is small.

But basically he bottoms out as a defensively ok 3rd line centre/wing with blazing speed and a high probability of 15-20 goals a year.

His peak projection might be as a borderline 1st/2nd line winger or 2nd line center who could put up 50-60 with the right linemates if his passing improves, with the potential for the odd monster season.

His absolute peak would be super budget Fedorov for a season or two, but that would be dreamland territory.

Is he Darren Helm with great hands (which actually would be a good hockey player before anyone cries foul) or can he elevate his all-round game to something more complete.

One thing is clear, his skillset means that he can be just as effective at NHL level as AHL, because in a tight, tactical game, someone with great speed and hands can break beyond the systems stifling the NHL with greater regularity than a more skilled but less dynamic AHL points monster.

I think what makes most wings fans very reluctant to see him be traded is a combination of the raw excitement he brings to the rink, that capacity to be dangerous at any point in any game, and the way his all round game is growing quicker than one would expect given his starting point. Good chemistry with Mantha doesn't hurt either.

Like others have said, he may be worth more to Detroit than buying teams because blazing speed and finishing ability are not exactly in excess supply on the wings roster. So while to most teams he's not worth much more than a late 1st rounder, to the wings he's probably worth a top 10 pick in a good draft year.

Off topic but I had no issue with the minutes Glendening was getting in the playoffs. He, Riley and Abdelkader were doing a fantastic job of shutting down Tampa's top line at home. They were there to play defense. I had a huge issue with the constant double shifting of a useless Henrik Zetterberg, and Blash having Richards and Helm playing constantly with Pavel. He was completely ignoring the leading line offensively of Tatar-Andy-Double A. That line was money.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's already capable of playing Helm-level hockey, but he has more offensive potential that may or may not be tapped at the NHL level.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Really? Mantha over Nyquist?
For the future, absolutely. I'd gladly include Tatar and/or Nyquist in a deal for a strong d-man and let those other 3 be the offensive core.

As has been the problem from an offensive standpoint, guys like Tatar & Nyquist (along with the majority of the team in previous years) sat back and waited for Hank & Pavel to carry the load offensively, instead of going out and taking the reins themselves.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He'd have to be packaged for a pretty impressive player for me not to be upset with the trade. I don't see us making a move for that quality of defender so I'd imagine I'd be pretty ticked off.

Really? Mantha over Nyquist?

Nyquist was 24 when he became an NHL regular, Mantha is 21. It's not crazy to think Mantha will be a better player than Gus.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
IMHO A.A. is "WORTH" about a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

thats what other teams who may have seen him play would be willing to offer. If no teams offer a 1st rounder, than he is not "worth" a first rounder.

That being said, i would not accept a trade. This is a fast, skilled, large forward... and as most red wings prospects... you never heard of him except maybe since part way through last season.

And I think we like taking our prospects and rolling our own dice. And hopefully everyone a few years from now will say. "how the heck did Detroit get this guy". Or he busts, but I don't want "assets" for this guy... I want the guy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad