Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
1717072325842.jpeg

Live look at future Jaster.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
At the moment the 24h Nordschleife race is on its way, onboard live stream from the Jimmy Broadbent BMW GT4. I know it says GT3 but they are in a GT4.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
earlier this year the neighbors hauled in a big rv trailer to go "camping" before their kids grow up and to see America and I was really happy for them...and I've been so disappointed that they've been home every weekend since...

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
earlier this year the neighbors hauled in a big rv trailer to go "camping" before their kids grow up and to see America and I was really happy for them...and I've been so disappointed that they've been home every weekend since...
Oof... Plz to have a 2nd leg of this tour, neighborinos.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
My guys, I went to Indycar and IMSA racing in downtown Detroit today. There was a booth in hart plaza where you spin a wheel and win wings swag. So guess who is the proud new owner of a Walman bobblehead?!
Did you do the griddy?

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Used to have a lot of strong opinions on 'glamping' but at this point I'm just happy when people go spend time outdoors. Biggest thing I'm miss about the US.

Hopefully with schools letting out soon they'll kick it into high gear.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Used to have a lot of strong opinions on 'glamping' but at this point I'm just happy when people go spend time outdoors. Biggest thing I'm miss about the US.

Hopefully with schools letting out soon they'll kick it into high gear.

when I was a kid there was a term difference, RVing and camping. Just something that has stuck, I guess, as there was a clear difference between the two for people. Also, my personal experience has been that it hasn't really been time out doors, but just a different place to put a lawn chair and drink. While when I've went camping, it's been more about being outdoors.

Hope you're right about them being gone more often.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Is there anybody in the Metro Detroit area that can recommend a company who specializes in basement drainage and sump pump systems?

Specifically, I'm looking for somebody who really knows their stuff for running a camera through the drain pipe / tiles underneath the basement floor, to 1) map the system, 2) see if there are any leaks or breaks that might introduce sediment to the sump basin, and 3) evaluate a feasible location (s) to make an access point, to periodically flush the drain system.

In the five years at this house, I've gone through a dozen sump pumps. Very high water table, very high calcium content. It coats the pump in a tan eggshell of calcium and tends to kill the motor after just a few months.

I'm hoping to look online to find some sort of a fan that I can install on the floor of the sump basin to keep it agitated. Hopefully that will reduce the calcium buildup on the pump. But I need an actual fix instead of a bandaid, so I want to see where the stuff may be coming from - preferably without taking a jackhammer to half my basement floor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think you're going to have a helluva time with that. As long as there's water covering the pump, it's going to be bonding calcium to it. I wouldn't bother with the fan unless a pro tells you to do it, worry it's just wasted effort.

does the water table come up enough to leech up through the basement floor?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think you're going to have a helluva time with that. As long as there's water covering the pump, it's going to be bonding calcium to it. I wouldn't bother with the fan unless a pro tells you to do it, worry it's just wasted effort.

does the water table come up enough to leech up through the basement floor?
We have protected wetlands behind us, and when we first moved in, half my backyard was a swamp. We had a drain field put in and I manually trenched about 60 feet of pathway to reroute a good chunk of what had been running towards my property to send it into the wetlands.

The situation has been worse since we had our deck put in a couple years ago. When they dug the footers, they ended up needing half a dozen water pumps running pretty much all day to clear the ground, plus sono tubes (like 3ft diameter toilet paper rolls) to support the brick and concrete.

They estimated that they pumped nearly a hundred thousand gallons of water out of the ground. So yeah, it's a helluva water table.

It's possible that it's high enough to leech from the floor (or at least from the cinder blocks in the surrounding walls at the footers). But with the timing of the deck construction, I'm wondering if all that digging was enough to aggravate a slight break somewhere in the drain system under the house. At a minimum, getting it all mapped will either find a problem(s) to fix or rule one thing out.

Ultimately, I just want a fix that will allow me to eventually finish my basement without having to unearth the entire perimeter of my house to waterproof it. But I appreciate the feedback.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Is there anybody in the Metro Detroit area that can recommend a company who specializes in basement drainage and sump pump systems?

Specifically, I'm looking for somebody who really knows their stuff for running a camera through the drain pipe / tiles underneath the basement floor, to 1) map the system, 2) see if there are any leaks or breaks that might introduce sediment to the sump basin, and 3) evaluate a feasible location (s) to make an access point, to periodically flush the drain system.

In the five years at this house, I've gone through a dozen sump pumps. Very high water table, very high calcium content. It coats the pump in a tan eggshell of calcium and tends to kill the motor after just a few months.

I'm hoping to look online to find some sort of a fan that I can install on the floor of the sump basin to keep it agitated. Hopefully that will reduce the calcium buildup on the pump. But I need an actual fix instead of a bandaid, so I want to see where the stuff may be coming from - preferably without taking a jackhammer to half my basement floor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I used to work for a company called foundation systems of Michigan in Livonia a million years ago. They do pavement leveling, sump pump installations, foundation repairs, crawl space installation, etc. I suggest looking into them.

Reactions: saska sault

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Been trying to get to the movie theater more lately and saw two great films.

Civil War - This is a masterpiece from Alex Garland. Even better than Ex Machina, which was my previous favorite of his. If you're looking for a movie about red states vs. blue states, you're going to be disappointed. But if you're looking for one of the most intense and immersive modern war films to date, you're going to enjoy every frame. Told through the lens of war photographers, often literally, it's one of the most impactful cinema experiences I've ever had. It's a difficult movie to watch at times, but I can't recommend it enough.

I Saw the TV Glow - I knew almost nothing going into this film and was all the better for it. Completely stunned me with its visuals and storytelling. It's a surreal film with horror elements that takes us through teenage coming of age and identity. Stay away if you're not into LGBTQ allegory. Go check it out if you appreciate a slow burn, 90s nostalgia (think Are You Afraid of the Dark), and a movie that doesn't spoon feed you everything that's happening. 10/10 soundtrack, too.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We have protected wetlands behind us, and when we first moved in, half my backyard was a swamp. We had a drain field put in and I manually trenched about 60 feet of pathway to reroute a good chunk of what had been running towards my property to send it into the wetlands.

The situation has been worse since we had our deck put in a couple years ago. When they dug the footers, they ended up needing half a dozen water pumps running pretty much all day to clear the ground, plus sono tubes (like 3ft diameter toilet paper rolls) to support the brick and concrete.

They estimated that they pumped nearly a hundred thousand gallons of water out of the ground. So yeah, it's a helluva water table.

It's possible that it's high enough to leech from the floor (or at least from the cinder blocks in the surrounding walls at the footers). But with the timing of the deck construction, I'm wondering if all that digging was enough to aggravate a slight break somewhere in the drain system under the house. At a minimum, getting it all mapped will either find a problem(s) to fix or rule one thing out.

Ultimately, I just want a fix that will allow me to eventually finish my basement without having to unearth the entire perimeter of my house to waterproof it. But I appreciate the feedback.

yeah, we have a really marshy area behind our house, too. We think it's at least partially caused by all of the water runoff from the turnpike that they managed to not put any retention ponds in for... . But every summer the water table comes up and we have low areas in our basement where whoever poured the concrete was too in the bottle to get level and it collects a skim of water, maybe 1/8 inch deep at its worse.

We've been told the easiest fix will likely be pouring another 4-6 inches of concrete, which would make sense because for some reason the former owners already did that...in 1/3 of the basement. But didn't bother with the other 2/3 where it has water problems. :confused:

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I Saw the TV Glow - I knew almost nothing going into this film and was all the better for it. Completely stunned me with its visuals and storytelling. It's a surreal film with horror elements that takes us through teenage coming of age and identity. Stay away if you're not into LGBTQ allegory. Go check it out if you appreciate a slow burn, 90s nostalgia (think Are You Afraid of the Dark), and a movie that doesn't spoon feed you everything that's happening. 10/10 soundtrack, too.

I've been looking forward to this hopefully hitting one of the streaming services I have, or just getting it out of the library.

Reactions: Bench and Konnan511

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've been looking forward to this hopefully hitting one of the streaming services I have, or just getting it out of the library.

I think it's slated to hit HBO Max for streaming. Maybe a month or two of digital rentals before that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I would sell the house, cinderblock walls and water is a bad combination.

If you think it's a drain or sewer line that's busted, you can use dye to confirm it before you spend the money getting it scoped. Various products out there, here's one I found off Google.

If calcium buildup is killing the pump, the band aid is to use something to get rid of the scales once a month, like a bottle of vinegar. You'll have to shut off the pump for a few hours though. God forbid you forget to turn it back on....

Edit: You may also want to check your discharge pipes

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad