Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hully14

May 27, 2024
Welcome aboard, Hully!

Thanks for the introduction and for appreciating the forum format. There's some downsides to old school forums but overall I think we have a much better sense of community and people develop relationships with one another more easily (but that might also be a downside depending, ha).

Glad to have you part of the team here. We don't get too many fresh faces so I'm always excited to get some new blood injected into a conversation. Some of us have been bickering with one another for over a decade so we're running out of new material.

This community has a wide range of characters but ultimately I love all these goofy guys, even when they drive me crazy, and appreciate all the unique perspectives and personalities. Except the jerks. We don't tolerate jerks. If you have any issues or just questions, you can always reach out to the mod team and I think each of them are pretty damn cool and I'd buy any of them multiple beers.

Anyway what are your thoughts on Hossa vs Franzen?
It was super unfortunate what happened with Franzen, especially in hindsight after all the Mike Babcock stuff came to light. That being said The Mule was always one of my favorite players so I guess I'm team Franzen baby.

Reactions: Bench and Konnan511

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Except the jerks. We don't tolerate jerks.
@Hully14, I'm still here, so "tolerate" is a very flexible word in this case.

Welcome, though. An additional regular poster is certainly a good thing here. The forum has a lot of activity, but Bench is right, we're damn near bored to death of each other at this point. Everyone is about to gather around you, like a lost tribe coming across their first human in decades. We're going to admire your shiny, modern accoutrements, touch your gorgeous locks (I imagine you with gorgeous locks), and ask how the rest of the world is doing. We may propose a feast in your honor, but also possibly just spear you to death and have you as the feast. Not being a goalie increases your chances of the former. Good luck.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I've actually never dared to even look at Red Wings Reddit. The idea terrifies me for some reason... Probably because I've browsed for other Detroit team(s) and it's undoubtedly the 7th layer hell incarnate of emotional dysfunction (whereas HF is more like the 1st layer - :p:).

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Everyone is about to gather around you, like a lost tribe coming across their first human in decades.
revenant.gif

Reactions: jaster

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

Welcome, though. An additional regular poster is certainly a good thing here. The forum has a lot of activity, but Bench is right, we're damn near bored to death of each other at this point. Everyone is about to gather around you, like a lost tribe coming across their first human in decades. We're going to admire your shiny, modern accoutrements, touch your gorgeous locks (I imagine you with gorgeous locks), and ask how the rest of the world is doing. We may propose a feast in your honor, but also possibly just spear you to death and have you as the feast. Not being a goalie increases your chances of the former. Good luck.

Hey. f*** you. #GoaliePersonalitiesMatter.

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
What's up people. Sorry if this is the wrong place to do this but I didn't see a welcome thread. I'm Hully, and I've been watching the Wings for the past 30 some odd years. I don't know how much crossover there is between Reddit/Discord and here, but I used to be very active in the Red Wings subreddit until I quit the site. I'm still currently active on the Discord so you may have seen me around. I was looking for a more concrete place to talk about the Wings and whatever else, and to be frank I've missed posting on forums since social media has cannibalized everything. I just wanted to introduce myself a bit and ask is it October yet?
Welcome aboard, I am fairly new to the group too. Not in discord, hard to find time to keep up on things as it is 😬

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
Welcome aboard, I am fairly new to the group too. Not in discord, hard to find time to keep up on things as it is 😬

I do think we need to re=establish our board-wide discord for draft night. We only did it one year... The Cossa draft. I remember some dashing rogue stated they should trade up to get him when 15 was still a couple picks away. And that Bench wanted some Russian goalie.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Welcome aboard, Hully!

Thanks for the introduction and for appreciating the forum format. There's some downsides to old school forums but overall I think we have a much better sense of community and people develop relationships with one another more easily (but that might also be a downside depending, ha).

Glad to have you part of the team here. We don't get too many fresh faces so I'm always excited to get some new blood injected into a conversation. Some of us have been bickering with one another for over a decade so we're running out of new material.

This community has a wide range of characters but ultimately I love all these goofy guys, even when they drive me crazy, and appreciate all the unique perspectives and personalities. Except the jerks. We don't tolerate jerks. If you have any issues or just questions, you can always reach out to the mod team and I think each of them are pretty damn cool and I'd buy any of them multiple beers.

Anyway what are your thoughts on Hossa vs Franzen?
You say the bold, then ask about Hossa vs. Franzen. What’s old is new, my friend.

Welcome, @Hully14!

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

The sad part is that your bff is gone, so Hully won’t get to watch that.

Oh, wait…that guy being gone isn’t sad.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
What's up people. Sorry if this is the wrong place to do this but I didn't see a welcome thread. I'm Hully, and I've been watching the Wings for the past 30 some odd years. I don't know how much crossover there is between Reddit/Discord and here, but I used to be very active in the Red Wings subreddit until I quit the site. I'm still currently active on the Discord so you may have seen me around. I was looking for a more concrete place to talk about the Wings and whatever else, and to be frank I've missed posting on forums since social media has cannibalized everything. I just wanted to introduce myself a bit and ask is it October yet?

giphy.gif

Welcome!

You say the bold, then ask about Hossa vs. Franzen. What’s old is new, my friend.

We're going to take Hossa v Franzen into 2024.

Copp v Trocheck

FIGHT!

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
The joke for not having a rolling hockey bag is that if your bag has wheels, you don't. As in, you're slow and a shitty skater.

The same applies for Ball Hockey. If your hockey has balls... _____ :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi and jaster

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
So is Six Sigma finally dead? Not seeing it mentioned in job listings, thank god.
Six Sigma will never die. It'll just continue to evolve into new names. And pieces of it will continue to live and be assimilated into other process improvement methods. Hell, I just went through a DMAIC course this past year.

All that shit is just a framework for people in large organizations who tend to be lazy thinkers when it comes to processes because they subconsciously think, "someone else will fix this." If you are conscious of a process, and care about it, it's not hard to find the deficiencies and eliminate them. In my decade of operating a production brewery, I improved dozens, maybe hundreds of processes. The company never provided any process improvement training. We just did it because we took a minute to think about it and it made sense.

I remember when I was an officer in the Air Force, they put us through this program called "AFSO 21" (Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st century, lmao). Just Six Sigma for the military basically. I was young and naive and eagerly went through it, but by the end I was like, 'why the hell did we just spend two full weeks slapping 900 sticky notes on the wall to improve this thing that could have been done in a couple hours with a single sheet of notebook paper by a person with a half functioning brain and a good night's sleep?'

Somebody makes a lot of money off these damn things, I'm sure of that at least.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Six Sigma will never die. It'll just continue to evolve into new names. And pieces of it will continue to live and be assimilated into other process improvement methods. Hell, I just went through a DMAIC course this past year.

All that shit is just a framework for people in large organizations who tend to be lazy thinkers when it comes to processes because they subconsciously think, "someone else will fix this." If you are conscious of a process, and care about it, it's not hard to find the deficiencies and eliminate them. In my decade of operating a production brewery, I improved dozens, maybe hundreds of processes. The company never provided any process improvement training. We just did it because we took a minute to think about it and it made sense.

I remember when I was an officer in the Air Force, they put us through this program called "AFSO 21" (Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st century, lmao). Just Six Sigma for the military basically. I was young and naive and eagerly went through it, but by the end I was like, 'why the hell did we just spend two full weeks slapping 900 sticky notes on the wall to improve this thing that could have been done in a couple hours with a single sheet of notebook paper by a person with a half functioning brain and a good night's sleep?'

Somebody makes a lot of money off these damn things, I'm sure of that at least.
Consultants make money off these stupid initiatives when the economy is good and companies have budget to blow.

My company spent a buttload of money on ALM/QC, engineers wasted thousands of hours, and they ditched it within 2 years, lol. Millions down the drain. I swear, every company I go to the top management people get kickbacks from consultants. Or maybe they pay for the lap dances or something.

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
Consultants make money off these stupid initiatives when the economy is good and companies have budget to blow.

My company spent a buttload of money on ALM/QC, engineers wasted thousands of hours, and they ditched it within 2 years, lol. Millions down the drain. I swear, every company I go to the top management people get kickbacks from consultants. Or maybe they pay for the lap dances or something.
I eagerly await the day I become a captain of industry. Seems nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad