Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Training camp/Preseason 2024 (First Preseason game Sept 24th @7pm PT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anaheim Ducks Training camp/Preseason 2024
IMG_6537.gif

IMG_6549.jpeg

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Luneau should be in the NHL. He’s ready physically for it. The AHL risk is a real injury risk with a bunch of goons/scrubs playing there. Trade Fowler and go:

Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumolin-Zellweger
Vaakaneinen-Luneau

Start LaCombe in the AHL
I imagine lacombe would get the start over Vaaks…. Vaaks would prob be 7th.

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I take that to mean the first two games and last one are audio only?

I believe all of them will be available on video stream in some form. The Kings game, may need to use their stream though, but should still be available.

Question is, since I cannot get Victory+, will those games be available on ESPN+?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Luneau should be in the NHL. He’s ready physically for it. The AHL risk is a real injury risk with a bunch of goons/scrubs playing there. Trade Fowler and go:

Mintyukov-Gudas
Dumolin-Zellweger
Vaakaneinen-Luneau

Start LaCombe in the AHL

Easing Zellweger into the AHL and then the NHL was the proper thing to do as he was able to play a total of 70 pro games (44 AHL and 26 NHL games) and become an AHL all-star. Minty got injured a couple of times last year and didn't finish out the season. Both didn't look great defensively in a top-4 role last year as the season rolled on.

Luneau's beefed up, but he hasn't had a lot of physical action and missed a lot of playing time on the ice last season. He was inconsistent at the rookie tourney this year, which isn't great considering he was one of the returning players on the ice. Also of note, Luneau played keep away with the puck from the opposing team as well as his teammates at this year's rookie tourney. More repetition is needed in game situations with Luneau.

There isn't a need to gift Luneau an NHL roster spot.

As for the possible d-pairing if a Fowler trade occurs before the season, we have to remember the Minty is still weeks away. I'd hate to rush Minty back into action like we did Z and Drysdale to the start of last season only to get injured shortly after returning to the ice. No need to repeat history, especially when it's still recent history.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Nope…Vaakanainen is better than the board thinks

I like Vaak in a bottom-pairing role or attached to Gudas. If he's not attached to Gudas in a top-4 role, then we don't know what he's like in a top-4 role... aside from playing RD with Fowler on the top pair and not doing well. Vaak cannot play RD like LaCombe can.

feel like you could say same thing about lacombe

I'll keep posting how our three rookie defenders ended their seasons in their final 22 to 23 NHL games. Zell played 22 games in a top-pairing role with Fowler. Minty played a top-4 role later in the season until he got injured to cut his season short, including playing seven games with LaCombe as his RD. LaCombe played mostly a top-4 role in his final 23 games, seven with Minty and eight taking over Minty's spot to end the season.

Ducks2023-24RookieD-menFinish
PlayerGame setGamesGAPtsPPG+/-HitsBlocksComments
LaCombe49 to 71231780.3511244From Feb 19 to Apr 18
Minty41 to 63232790.39-92922from Feb 13 to Mar 30
Zell5 to 26222680.36-81033From Mar 1 to Apr 18

It is a very surprising stat to see LaCombe producing similar offense to Minty and Zell, but also be better defensively.

LaCombe is underrated b/c how his season began playing RD1 after Drysdale fell to injury, Luneau wasn't ready, as well as Vaak had to be replaced after a game and a half. Jackson has improved since being thrust into a top pairing role on his off-side as a rookie. Cronin did identify LaCombe as the most improved player throughout the season.

What goes unnoticed by many fans is that LaCombe was our third best shot blocker last year (2nd since Lyubushkin was traded away).

2023-24 Blocked Shots
  • RD Gudas = 154 blocks (66 games)
  • RD Lyubushkin = 138 blocks (55 games)
  • LD/RD LaCombe = 129 blocks (71 games) ... Rookie
  • LD Fowler = 119 blocks (81 games)
  • LD Vaak = 79 blocks (68 games)
  • LW Vatrano = 78 blocks (82 games)
  • LD Minty = 65 blocks (63 games)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I like Vaak in a bottom-pairing role or attached to Gudas. If he's not attached to Gudas in a top-4 role, then we don't know what he's like in a top-4 role... aside from playing RD with Fowler on the top pair and not doing well. Vaak cannot play RD like LaCombe can.

I'll keep posting how our three rookie defenders ended their seasons in their final 22 to 23 NHL games. Zell played 22 games in a top-pairing role with Fowler. Minty played a top-4 role later in the season until he got injured to cut his season short, including playing seven games with LaCombe as his RD. LaCombe played mostly a top-4 role in his final 23 games, seven with Minty and eight taking over Minty's spot to end the season.

It is a very surprising stat to see LaCombe producing similar offense to Minty and Zell, but also be better defensively.

LaCombe is underrated b/c how his season began playing RD1 after Drysdale fell to injury, Luneau wasn't ready, as well as Vaak had to be replaced after a game and a half. Jackson has improved since being thrust into a top pairing role on his off-side as a rookie. Cronin did identify LaCombe as the most improved player throughout the season.

What goes unnoticed by many fans is that LaCombe was our third best shot blocker last year (2nd since Lyubushkin was traded away).

2023-24 Blocked Shots
Also, the numbers might not show it, but I liked how LaCombe looked on the PP. I think there was one stretch where he got to play on PP1 and he looked damn good.

I just checked and he played 38 mins only to have 2 points ( 2 primary assists). Not great, but again - eye test showed he could be decent there eventually

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

2023-24 Blocked Shots

Ya I think lacombe gets massively underrated(granted I think he should look better then zell/minty last year as they were coming out of juniors and he was coming out of 4 years of competitive team in college).

I also think lacombe has a lot more room to grow/develop than Vaaks…. My guess is Vaaks is the 7 and rotates in when guys are beat up…. And not a bad option if there are injuries.

We’re also looking at this as fowler being gone, but if he’s here that does make things awkward… then maybe 1 of those guys is back in ahl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad