Rumor: ANA-DET John Gibson to Detroit

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s pretty funny watching a bunch of fans on an internet site, think they’ve mastered the skills to make calls on NHL goaltenders, when no scouts in the NHL, even try pretending they’ve figured out these lunatics, playing goaltender at this level. Chasing an NHL goaltender’s stats is worse than chasing a junior player’s stats.

Gibson is 100% respected in NHL circles, as a goaltender who’s very capable of playing at a Top 10 level. Has he always? No. Anyone take a look at Fleury’s career ups and downs? The man was about to be run out of Pittsburgh after the 2008 Finals, as a goalie who couldn’t make the big saves, choking in the playoffs. Then he continued to be up and down for the remainder of his career, losing his spot to Murray and then Lehner.

It’s just comical how nobody in the league can figure these guys out most of the time, but stat watchers on this site can, by dissecting save %?? Same site that was trying to give Bob away as washed up, for 2-3 years before last year.

I’ve never tried to figure out what makes a goalie tick. It’s almost impossible. There’s a group of them who’ve played at elite levels throughout their career. Once they earn that, it does usually return later in their career.

Gibson will be just fine wherever he goes, and good bet those calling him garbage today, will be awful quiet about him come January. They’ll move on to Ullmark or someone else, who’s not living up to the trade love of this summer.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It’s pretty funny watching a bunch of fans on an internet site, think they’ve mastered the skills to make calls on NHL goaltenders, when no scouts in the NHL, even try pretending they’ve figured out these lunatics, playing goaltender at this level. Chasing an NHL goaltender’s stats is worse than chasing a junior player’s stats.

Gibson is 100% respected in NHL circles, as a goaltender who’s very capable of playing at a Top 10 level. Has he always? No. Anyone take a look at Fleury’s career ups and downs? The man was about to be run out of Pittsburgh after the 2008 Finals, as a goalie who couldn’t make the big saves, choking in the playoffs. Then he continued to be up and down for the remainder of his career, losing his spot to Murray and then Lehner.

It’s just comical how nobody in the league can figure these guys out most of the time, but stat watchers on this site can, by dissecting save %?? Same site that was trying to give Bob away as washed up, for 2-3 years before last year.

I’ve never tried to figure out what makes a goalie tick. It’s almost impossible. There’s a group of them who’ve played at elite levels throughout their career. Once they earn that, it does usually return later in their career.

Gibson will be just fine wherever he goes, and good bet those calling him garbage today, will be awful quiet about him come January. They’ll move on to Ullmark or someone else, who’s not living up to the trade love of this summer.
You assume that no one watches these guys play? Stats are accompanied by games played.

Large untalented hacks are also respected in NHL circles. Very rarely does teams any good though...

Eventually the feels will catch up to what's actually going on out there.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yzerman didn't say it super direct but in the pre-draft press conference he didn't seem pleased with Cossa's development (also evident in the drafting of Augustine) - basing this off the way he talked about Cossa and its adjacency to Yzerman using the word "disappointing" several times - probably more for his playoff performance than his regular season performance. It would make sense for him to pick up a goalie to bridge to at least Augustine. I think the original Yzerplan was to have Cossa up by now.

Yzerman never said anything of the sort. In fact he indirectly mentioned Cossa when talking about prospects that could force their way earlier than the Wings thought. When he mentioned this, Cossa was the most recent player talked about. Also pretty sure he mentioned Cossa and Kasper as having good seasons and coming on strong in the second half of the season.

Yzerman also mentioned that he wasn't interested in spending whatever people deem as "good assets" on any goalie that will only be here for 2-3 years. Maybe he is just lying or playing his cards close to his chest, but that is what he said.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Husso + Holl + draft pick + prospect
for
Gibson + McGinn

Anaheim is one of the only teams where I've seen there fans on this forum show interest in Holl. DET probably wants to trade him or buy him out. Preferably trade. DET could retain 50% on Holl and remove McGinn if necessary. Seems like something both teams might be interested in.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

So you say the numbers are too flawed to trust, but then advocate for the most subjective form of analysis possible in the eye test.

Out of curiosity what is your experience in coaching/playing the goaltending position that makes you so sure that it's all the Ducks and not Gibson? You must have a pretty impressive resume to just wave away five years worth of data that shows he's a terrible goalie by any accepted metric.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Husso + Holl + draft pick + prospect
for
Gibson + McGinn

Anaheim is one of the only teams where I've seen there fans on this forum show interest in Holl. DET probably wants to trade him or buy him out. Preferably trade. DET could retain 50% on Holl and remove McGinn if necessary. Seems like something both teams might be interested in.
The main obstacle here would be Holl's trade protection. Excluding that, I could see it. I don't love that Holl has 2 years left, but if he's really bad next year, his buyout number isn't that bad.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I'm curious what you think are Detroit's plans this summer?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Well said

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Don't bother, he doesn't know. Yzerman may go this route, thinking that Gibson will thrive under a better team/system. I think he's probably cooked, but if the price is right it may be worth a shot.
If Yzerman has had one MO since taking over the Wings, it's that his favorite shopping center is other teams' garbage cans.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who could the other team be? I can't see Gibson waiving for Toronto. Maybe Utah for Vejmelka?

Maybe Calgary? Seems like an odd fit, but have him be a mentor/platoon for Wolf for the next few years?

I think Utah could make sense if they're looking to ice a competitive team as soon as next year.

Not sure they'd want to replace Ingram as their starter, he put up a .907 save% in 50 games last year. Wouldn't say it's impossible but I'd be surprised if they went after Gibson as well.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Really curious who the other team is. I don't see a ton of other teams out there looking for a starting goalie, I really thought Detroit was the last one after Ullmark went to Ottawa.

Given how hard it is to make it through a season without having two goalies you have near complete trust in, I would absolutely suggest Edmonton should be the other team. A Gibson/Skinner 1A/1B tandem would have gone a long way towards keeping that team fresher, and while Pickard survived his short run in the postseason, having two guys who can just straight up win games probably gets them to the finals in two or three fewer games this year. Might have made all the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad