An idea to remove the cap advantage for no tax states

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
There are advantages and disadvantages to all teams. How do you fairly account for cost of living in New York City vs Winnipeg? Or Vancouver vs Salt Lake City? How do you fairly account for weather? Florida is much nicer in the winter than Winnipeg. There are more to taxes than just state/provincial taxes as well. Nobody was worried about Florida until recently, but that's because both teams are very good, which makes it easy to draw in players. It isn't just one thing (taxes) and so there will never be an equitable way to account for everything. If you win, you tend to be able to sign free agents. When Edmonton sucked, they couldn't sign anyone. Now they can. Winning is a bigger draw than taxes IMO.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Should we also apply cap adjustments to teams who are in markets where more endorsement deals are available? What about adjustments for cost of living? Should we update cap for changes in the currency exchange rate?

The answer is no. Florida was a loser franchise for years, and players had no interest in sacrificing money to go there. Canadian fans complained about the fact that there is a franchise in Florida for two decades. Now that Florida is winning, they want to reduce their ability to compete. Winning is driving Florida’s contracts down, not tax dollars.
Agreed lol. Add to the list that we'd need to eliminate signing bonuses, which hurt rich teams like the Leafs.

Signing bonuses give huge advantages due to:
1) Different tax treatment, as it's based on where the player is a resident of. This allows opportunities for Canadian players to be taxed in a US city.
2) Time value of money, if you get a whole lot of signing bonuses front-loaded early in the contract, you could actually make 15-30+% more money in the long run, if you chose to invest it.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What is the actual math on the difference in take home pay for avg salary ($3.5M)? I’ve seen calculations before that are just wrong (don’t account for tax law, road games, etc).

Because back of the napkin in my head… this is one of the most overblown issues there is, especially in a league that’s highest paid players are making peanuts compared to other sports leagues that have no problem with it.
CLC - there is a ridiculous amount of detail for the specifics, but IMO the bolded is the most important aspect. All players are taxed based on what they earn for playing the game in their local taxing authority. So when FLA plays a road game in NYC - they pay NYC tax on what they earn for that game. Teams in "no income tax states" receive an advantage because a higher % of their games are played in the "no state tax" situation, so they get more of a benefit of that. It gets more complicated by city income taxes in some juridictions, and the difference between US & CAN federal tax rates as well.

I would say that there is a ton of "nuance", and that there isn't a simple answer to the real difference without having access to players actual returns. With that said - if you do a simple theoretical recalculation assuming a 8% average state income tax rate (which seems high - but estimated high to maximize the impact) and FLA team playing 43 games (41 home games + 2 road games vs. TB/FLA) in tax free state vs. 4 for a NY team (2 road games vs. TB/FLA) it comes out a ~3% difference, which would equate to $100K for an average player salary ($3.5M). Lots of estimates included there, but it should be "materially" correct for overall analysis purposes.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Beukeboom, I should have not said 'nothing'. In reference to tax, there are ways to significantly mitigate what you pay, and I am sure that you know this.
Pete - for some very high net worth people - there is a theory of tax deferral (paying in the future instead of now), but I am not aware of any consistent ways to NOT pay tax over the long term that doesn't end you up in jail (see DMX, Nic Cage, or Wesley Snipes for details). Some players might be able to "play games" with regard to their home state (aka - Austin Matthews for signing bonus being paid while he's a resident of AZ), but for the most part - players (just like every other individual) are going to be paying a lot of tax based on their earnings. The idea of "tax dodges" for normal individuals is pretty much an urban myth.

From a personal income tax perspective - let me know how that works again?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I’m just playing devil’s advocate. It is my opinion that the owners (all of them) love having a hard cap on their largest expense line item. They want their managers to figure out how to make it work in a system that rewards them with record profits year after year. This is, after all, a business.

But… if they did wake up one morning and decide they hate money, you wouldn’t have to light it on fire in the most difficult way possible.
100% agree. The small market owners need the hard cap to not lose their ass, and for the large market owners it makes the organization a HUGE cash cow at the expense of pissing off their fans that they can't use their market advantage competitively.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Pete - you are 100% incorrect. I'm a CPA, and there isn't a tax accountant on the planet that can get you out paying income taxes.
Agreed...
Tax evasion is illegal, but tax avoidance is encouraged.

That said, avoidance strategies can be very effective. Signing bonuses, investments for long term cap gains rates, setting up businesses to handle sponsorships/endorsement deals, etc.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
A lot of people don't understand the basics of tax systems. It's not easy to just declare you want to harmonize the taxation. Qualitative factors can affect the quantitative calculation for taxation. This isn't an NHL issue. Any organization that spans multiple internal and international tax jurisdictions like the NHL does will have seen this. People who prepare tax returns too.

Two dudes, aged 28 born in Ontario with an AAV of $4.5 million on the same team may pay different taxes than each other.

Two dudes, aged 28 born in New York with an AAV of $4.5 million on the same team may pay different taxes than each other.

Two dudes, aged 28 born outside of North America with an AAV of $4.5 million on the same team may pay different taxes than each other.

And that's just personal situation on the same team. The differences between teams haven't even started yet.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
With how quickly this thread filled up with people moaning and complaining I'm inclined to think this is a bigger problem than I thought it was.
The board could announce that we are all equal partners in some wildy enormous lottery winnings that would pay out $100,000 to every member, and checks will be mailed out tomorrow. If it did, people would be moaning and complaining that the checks have not gone out today, and that they are entitled to some larger percentage than everybody else.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
A lot of people don't understand the basics of tax systems. It's not easy to just declare you want to harmonize the taxation. Qualitative factors can affect the quantitative calculation for taxation. This isn't an NHL issue. Any organization that spans multiple internal and international tax jurisdictions like the NHL does will have seen this. People who prepare tax returns too.

Two dudes, aged 28 born in Ontario with an AAV of $4.5 million on the same team may pay different taxes than each other.

Two dudes, aged 28 born in New York with an AAV of $4.5 million on the same team may pay different taxes than each other.

Two dudes, aged 28 born outside of North America with an AAV of $4.5 million on the same team may pay different taxes than each other.

And that's just personal situation on the same team. The differences between teams haven't even started yet.
Get TEQs built into the next CBA. Have all NHL salaries be after tax. The owners would love paying extra!

• Haha
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The board could announce that we are all equal partners in some wildy enormous lottery winnings that would pay out $100,000 to every member, and checks will be mailed out tomorrow. If it did, people would be moaning and complaining that the checks have not gone out today, and that they are entitled to some larger percentage than everybody else.
My post-to-like ratio is higher than most I should get more money!

:laugh:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
CLC - there is a ridiculous amount of detail for the specifics, but IMO the bolded is the most important aspect. All players are taxed based on what they earn for playing the game in their local taxing authority. So when FLA plays a road game in NYC - they pay NYC tax on what they earn for that game. Teams in "no income tax states" receive an advantage because a higher % of their games are played in the "no state tax" situation, so they get more of a benefit of that. It gets more complicated by city income taxes in some juridictions, and the difference between US & CAN federal tax rates as well.

I would say that there is a ton of "nuance", and that there isn't a simple answer to the real difference without having access to players actual returns. With that said - if you do a simple theoretical recalculation assuming a 8% average state income tax rate (which seems high - but estimated high to maximize the impact) and FLA team playing 43 games (41 home games + 2 road games vs. TB/FLA) in tax free state vs. 4 for a NY team (2 road games vs. TB/FLA) it comes out a ~3% difference, which would equate to $100K for an average player salary ($3.5M). Lots of estimates included there, but it should be "materially" correct for overall analysis purposes.
Nope, it's not "materially correct", even from a financial perspective. There are sales tax differentials between states, property tax differentials (players gotta live somewhere!), and typically the no income-tax states have higher sales/property taxes to make up that revenue.

Now let's look at individuals' specific tax situations: Are they getting signing bonuses? Is their place of residence somewhere else, subjecting the SB to a different tax rate? Are they donating to reduce their tax liability? Are they shifting income to various tax-advantaged accounts?

And that's not even getting into all the non-financial factors a player would weight when choosing a team. Like team fit, culture, winning, weather, proximity to home/family.

There is no realistic way to "equalize" all these things. And to pretend to think you can belies belief.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
While we're spitballing, what about the idea of having an amnesty buyout per team, say one allowed every three seasons? Its not good for the game to have a franchise suffer for mistakes made by a twice removed GM.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just pass laws at the state/provincial level that says athletes are exempt from state income taxes.
poor athletes and their million-dollar incomes, make those poor souls spend hundreds of thousands less on taxes and instead take that money from the people making 100 times less money, great idea!

No... it isn't.

Also... I've been around longer. That has to count for something.
Likes weren't even around for a long time so if you have many posts from before they were implemented looking at the ratio is misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad