yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What time line did you choose?
2006-2024

Here is the last 10 years:

1720551286315.png

Again, no relationship

Not that I care to get in the sand on your numbers, but how would those numbers look with an adjusted sample?

Post cap we had PIT, CHI, VAN, LAK, DET with their tables set with superstars. I think, to really debunk the tax debate, it would make sense to look at the most recent 10 year sample, as the cap had been in place for a number of years at that point.
Last 10 years^^

Because at the end of the day we’re talking about a sport. A sport with so many variables that we can’t look at 1 simple thing and determine an outcome.

That doesn’t take away the fact that there’s teams with more buying power than others. Even if it’s slight.
If it's not having an effect on outcomes then there is no problem to solve.

All these "tax adjustment" ideas are solutions looking for a problem.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
So now it's the entire base of US teams getting the advantage?

I’m not sure I understand your question. Sorry.

There’s really high tax locations in USA. Not all American teams have a tax advantage.

However, I’d much rather live in the USA than in Canada. Not that anyone asked, or that it matters in this discussion, tired of living in Canada personally.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

There’s really high tax locations in USA. Not all American teams have a tax advantage.

However, I’d much rather live in the USA than in Canada. Not that anyone asked, or that it matters in this discussion, tired of living in Canada personally.
Taxes are individual, not team or state. How I spend my money determines how I pay my taxes. Again, you're taxed on where you earned the money, so the days you played on the road are taxed different, the money you used to buy property or stocks is taxed different, how much money you donate or raise for charity is taxed different. This bs of "well he earned $2M this year taxed at this rate" is just that, bs. Without seeing a return, you can't say what a person pays in taxes.

Also, move to Nashville, we're friendly people, you'll feel at home.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Some states don't have Tax Treaties with Canada. So a player that lives in California and plays in Ottawa will have to pay both rates which would end up being around 68% in taxes before they are using any tax liabilities to lower rates, like an RCA or deferrals. Again this isn't a a problem for the league or owners, this is the problem with the Agents and Players to negotiate salaries and to do the leg work for their own betterment.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
2006-2024

Here is the last 10 years:

View attachment 893626

Again, no relationship

Last 10 years^^

If it's not having an effect on outcomes then there is no problem to solve.

All these "tax adjustment" ideas are solutions looking for a problem.
Bad timeline. Do more recent history. Reasoning is in a previous post to you.

How did you come up with the effective tax rates for every team?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Bad timeline. Do more recent history. Reasoning is in a previous post to you.

How did you come up with the effective tax rates for every team?
He literally did the last 20 years and 10 years? What stupid ass kind of confirmation bias are you looking for rather than looking at historical data? I can't decide if you are just trolling or actually that oblivious and obtuse.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He literally did the last 20 years and 10 years? What stupid ass kind of confirmation bias are you looking for rather than looking at historical data? I can't decide if you are just trolling or actually that oblivious and obtuse.
Last 10 years would also confirm that the 6 no tax teams reach the pinnacle of hockey success the SCFs more than can be likely expected.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Taxes are individual, not team or state. How I spend my money determines how I pay my taxes. Again, you're taxed on where you earned the money, so the days you played on the road are taxed different, the money you used to buy property or stocks is taxed different, how much money you donate or raise for charity is taxed different. This bs of "well he earned $2M this year taxed at this rate" is just that, bs. Without seeing a return, you can't say what a person pays in taxes.

Also, move to Nashville, we're friendly people, you'll feel at home.

Hmm. Interesting. Odd that there’s so many with differing opinions on this.

At the end of the day I’m personally just jealous of the southern states.

Beautiful weather, site seeing, history, women, better hockey teams, cheaper drinks, not freezing your ass off at football games, and now I’ve gotta hear that they’ve got better taxes too.

EDIT: I’d move to Nashville in a heartbeat.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Some states don't have Tax Treaties with Canada. So a player that lives in California and plays in Ottawa will have to pay both rates which would end up being around 68% in taxes before they are using any tax liabilities to lower rates, like an RCA or deferrals. Again this isn't a a problem for the league or owners, this is the problem with the Agents and Players to negotiate salaries and to do the leg work for their own betterment.

Interesting. I did not know this.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Beautiful weather, site seeing, history, women, better hockey teams, cheaper drinks, not freezing your ass off at football games, and now I’ve gotta hear that they’ve got better taxes too.
I live in Vancouver, so one of the most expensive cities in the world. I literally look at Calgary and I am jealous.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I live in Vancouver, so one of the most expensive cities in the world. I literally look at Calgary and I am jealous.

I’m (just) outside of the evergrowing GTA.

At least it’s nice in Vancouver. Concrete jungle full of idiots, trapped in the same rat race to nowhere, out my way.

Hope you’re keeping cool brother.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Alan Pogroszewski (Who has been quoted in this thread already) made mention regarding Reinhardt new deal: Reinhart’s salary @ $8.625 million annually, he owes $3.15 million in taxes in Florida. He would pay $1.1 million more in California, $1.5 million more in New York and $1.4 million more in Toronto. It saves him over 12mil over the duration of the deal.
California: $1.1/8.625 = 12.8%
New York: $1.5/8.625 = 17.4%
Toronto: $1.4/8.625 = 16.2%

Bust - would you have any links to where Alan P came up with those numbers? Because the % listed is the effective tax rate that he's suggesting would occur in another municipality when compared to FLA. I'm "pressing X to doubt" considering the fact that the players both essentially pay the same taxes in their 41 road games. (There might be a difference for ATL vs. METRO based on #'s of games played in NY/NJ).

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I’m (just) outside of the evergrowing GTA.

At least it’s nice in Vancouver. Concrete jungle full of idiots, trapped in the same rat race to nowhere, out my way.

Hope you’re keeping cool brother.
I am legit just sitting here in my underwear. The issue with Van is AC's didn't become a thing until like 3 years ago. It was something stupid like only 10% of the population had them.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Not in North Carolina haha 😆

Edit: Misread, thought you said better football teams lol

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Last 10 years would also confirm that the 6 no tax teams reach the pinnacle of hockey success the SCFs more than can be likely expected.
Didn't you already admit that was a poor way of looking at it, twice now? You wanted me to run the data for all teams wins and losses, and I did that.

I guess it didn't give you the results you were hoping for so now you need another excuse?

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

They freeze their asses off at football games in Nashville, just not in October.

Reactions: HisIceness

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
California: $1.1/8.625 = 12.8%
New York: $1.5/8.625 = 17.4%
Toronto: $1.4/8.625 = 16.2%

Bust - would you have any links to where Alan P came up with those numbers? Because the % listed is the effective tax rate that he's suggesting would occur in another municipality when compared to FLA. I'm "pressing X to doubt" considering the fact that the players both essentially pay the same taxes in their 41 road games. (There might be a difference for ATL vs. METRO based on #'s of games played in NY/NJ).

I am not sure where he found his numbers.

Here’s the article I referenced: NHL free agency shows teams in states with no income tax have an advantage

After a brief search on Alan P - he seems to have been writing papers for years on tax disparities. I just got educated on the “Alberta tax” and just read a paper on Brian Gionta and the tax implications he faced when signing in MTL.

I’ll be honest, read more about taxes in the last 2 hours than I care to admit lol.

I miss pure hockey trades, the days before us fans debated player salaries and tax rates. And Don Cherry. I miss that guy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Didn't you already admit that was a poor way of looking at it, twice now? You wanted me to run the data for all teams wins and losses, and I did that.

I guess it didn't give you the results you were hoping for so now you need another excuse?
No I said that a Points percentage approach would be a larger sample so we can dig into it further.

Depending on how you view “success” in this League. Playoffs vs Regular season, both ways of looking at it can be valid. Traditionally people peg Cup wins as the be all success marker of a franchise.

Your results and your method I will need to look at before forming my final opinion.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I am not sure where he found his numbers.

Here’s the article I referenced: NHL free agency shows teams in states with no income tax have an advantage

After a brief search on Alan P - he seems to have been writing papers for years on tax disparities. I just got educated on the “Alberta tax” and just read a paper on Brian Gionta and the tax implications he faced when signing in MTL.

I’ll be honest, read more about taxes in the last 2 hours than I care to admit lol.

I miss pure hockey trades, the days before us fans debated player salaries and tax rates. And Don Cherry. I miss that guy.
Thanks! As a CPA - avoid understanding tax. It's a slippery slope to madness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad