Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The NHL loves making terrible products doesn't it
Or you're just spitballing facts and are going after a narrative to fit your negative viewpoint? Forslund is as good of a hire you can make and I hear that Thomas Hickey is on his way of becoming one of the best analysts in the sport. Is one chick really going to make a difference for you between the product of being completely unwatchable?

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I don't subscribe to any of the mainstream hockey outlets, but do have a prime membership. Soooo, I'll take it and call it a win for me.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Still hate that I have to essentially own 3 services to stream Habs 82 games in Ontario. NHL needs to get their head out of their a** and get a unified streaming service in 4K quality , it's almost 2025 , this is unacceptable.

Yes! The NHL should cater to fans who are unwilling to spend ~$400 / year to watch 82 games of the Habs. Isn't that who all the other major league sports cater to?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I already have Amazon Prime so not really paying extra....more games the better

Streaming is way better than cable

Directv Stream(Formally At&t Now) and Dish Anywhere both have 4K channels
The only people who are getting more games is people in Canada who don't have Sportsnet and either already have Prime or choose to subscribe to it.

If you're in the US, you don't get these games, they are part of the Canadian TV package.

If you're in Canada and have Sportsnet, these are just the Monday (originally Sunday) national games that Sportsnet has had since 2014.

ghyrti

Oct 21, 2014
In the real old days you had to go to the game to watch it...
I don't think those that old are still around. Analog AM radio listeners, however, are. For a long while I would say my radio games outnumbered my television games. (and still greatly outnumber my "in-person" games)

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Or you're just spitballing facts and are going after a narrative to fit your negative viewpoint? Forslund is as good of a hire you can make and I hear that Thomas Hickey is on his way of becoming one of the best analysts in the sport. Is one chick really going to make a difference for you between the product of being completely unwatchable?

Has nothing to do with 'a chick'. Do you know who she is? She was a regular host for several Toronto talk shows and fills in on Overdrive occasionally. I am familiar with her. I'd be saying the same thing if they went with any of the other fill ins that are terrible to listen to like Feschuk or Al's Brother or Carlo.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm praying they realize splitting it up next time around is the way to go. Have em both pay like 55% of full value and let them compete.
I'd be very surprised if the Rogers deal did not include an exclusive negotiation window where hey can renew their current deal. What I've always wondered is if Rogers can bring in a partner during that exclusive window. Basically could Rogers and Amazon team up to renew and split the current Rogers deal before Bell even gets a chance to bid on it.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'd be very surprised if the Rogers deal did not include an exclusive negotiation window where hey can renew their current deal. What I've always wondered is if Rogers can bring in a partner during that exclusive window. Basically could Rogers and Amazon team up to renew and split the current Rogers deal before Bell even gets a chance to bid on it.

Sure, they can negotiate but I imagine the NHL would have to force Rogers into that scenario. They aren't going to give up exclusive rights easy

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Sure, they can negotiate but I imagine the NHL would have to force Rogers into that scenario. They aren't going to give up exclusive rights easy
This thread is about them selling off pieces of those exclusive rights to Amazon. Rogers has also been selling pieces to TSN/RDS the entire time this deal has been in place.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Has nothing to do with 'a chick'. Do you know who she is? She was a regular host for several Toronto talk shows and fills in on Overdrive occasionally. I am familiar with her. I'd be saying the same thing if they went with any of the other fill ins that are terrible to listen to like Feschuk or Al's Brother or Carlo.
John Forslund was a good add, that’s whom you’ll hear the most.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This thread is about them selling off pieces of those exclusive rights to Amazon. Rogers has also been selling pieces to TSN/RDS the entire time this deal has been in place.

Their terms, their contract. They're just giving away games they don't want to broadcast and won't compete with.

I want a full 50/50 where Rogers AND Amazon/Youtube/whatever has full and seperate rights.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
John Forslund was a good add, that’s whom you’ll hear the most.

I'm not familiar with him, but usually once it goes to the game itself the coverage is good. The in studio stuff is what I have a problem with. Even Sportsnet coverage is terrible.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't think those that old are still around. Analog AM radio listeners, however, are. For a long while I would say my radio games outnumbered my television games. (and still greatly outnumber my "in-person" games)
I grew up in Brockville in Eastern Ontario in the 70s. For many years, we got about one Leaf game every two weeks n TV. Both tge Kingston and Ottawa CBC stations carried the national CBC game which pretty much alternated between Toronto and Montreal. Up until 1975, we'd also get some Leafs games on CTV who used to have a Wednesday night package.

Radio was bad too. Before 1978, the only Leafs radio games we could get reliably were a handful of Sunday night games on CBC Radio. Part if the reason was that CKFH who did the Leafs radio games was at 1430 AM and the local Brockville station (with its transmitter just a mile or so from our house) was at 1450 AM which blocked any chance of picking up the Toronto station. We were able to pick up some games on radio from their home broadcasters (as far way as St. Louis). In 1978, the Leafs moved to the CKO Radio News Network which had an Ottawa affiliate, so we could finally get all the Leafs games reliably on radio.

As for remembering days when you had to go live, there's probably no one around. There might be a few who remember no TV, HNIC TV broadcasts began 72 years years ago, so someone woukd likely need to be at least 82 to remember those days. And I'm certain there anre some on these boards who remember HNIC broadcasts joining the games already in progress. Games used to begin at 8 pm but the broadcast wouldn't begin until 9. In 1964, the broadcast syart was moved to 8:30, and in 1968, they started broadcasting the whole game.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Does this mean I will be able to watch games on Prime that would be blacked out on Sportsnet? Or will it just be same old same old... just a different channel?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They've sold some French rights to TVA Sports but that was part of the initial deal and I suspect that was something the NHL wanted - a French language national broadcaster. And aren't Canadiens games on RDS just the Canadiens regional French language package. Has anyone west of the Belleville-Prmbroke line in Ontario been able to watch Canadiens games on RDS (everything east of that is shared Montreal/Ottawa TV territory?

As far as I know, they have never sold any games to TSN. TSN has regional rights to Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto (partial) just as Sportsnet has regional rights to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto (partial). These rights are purchased directly from the teams and are not a part of the Rogers national deal.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Does this mean I will be able to watch games on Prime that would be blacked out on Sportsnet? Or will it just be same old same old... just a different channel?
Rogers had a package of Monday night games that were broadcast nationally (no blackouts). That s the package that is moving to Amazon Prime. It will only be available in Canada and there will be no regional blackouts.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yes! The NHL should cater to fans who are unwilling to spend ~$400 / year to watch 82 games of the Habs. Isn't that who all the other major league sports cater to?

What is the point of this comment? I obviously have this same sentiment for all teams.

Specifically in Canada there is nothing close to a unified experience with annoying regional blackouts caused by legacy contracts.

Anyone should be able to stream their favourite in Ultra High def without owning multiple services and settling for barely 720p.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What is the point of this comment? I obviously have this same sentiment for all teams.

Specifically in Canada there is nothing close to a unified experience with annoying regional blackouts caused by legacy contracts.

Anyone should be able to stream their favourite in Ultra High def without owning multiple services and settling for barely 720p.
Is that possible for any of the four major leagues in North America, in either Canada or the US?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Is that possible for any of the four major leagues in North America, in either Canada or the US?

That's a good question I don't know , I only follow hockey. The point I'm making is that it's been very difficult in rural Canada with only internet access. Last year I spent over 60$ a month to watch all the games and the quality was very mediocre.

I'll probably do the same this year but still...Not great.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
That's a good question I don't know , I only follow hockey. The point I'm making is that it's been very difficult in rural Canada with only internet access. Last year I spent over 60$ a month to watch all the games and the quality was very mediocre.

I'll probably do the same this year but still...Not great.

You're lucky.

My cable bills were more than that 20 years ago to watch the games in even worse quality. Online streaming is a bargain and those that complain either don't know or remember how much worse it was.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You're lucky.

My cable bills were more than that 20 years ago to watch the games in even worse quality. Online streaming is a bargain and those that complain either don't know or remember how much worse it was.

Cable offered you all other types of content as well , I'm not including the 100+ a month on Netflix/Disney/Prime.

Awful comparison , try again , 400$+ per season just to follow your home team on the internet is ludicrous.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Roger's had a package of Monday night games that were broadcast nationally (no blackouts). That s the package that is moving to Amazon Prime. It will only be available in Canada and there will be no regional blackouts.
Seems like this Amazon deal is designed for the casual fan who may have Prime and wants to discover hockey . I would assume many if not most Sportsnet subscribers are fans of one team and buy Premium to watch all their games . I did try a free trial of Sportsnet from Amazon and the app actually ran smoother than Sportsnet

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Cable offered you all other types of content as well , I'm not including the 100+ a month on Netflix/Disney/Prime.

Awful comparison , try again , 400$+ per season just to follow your home team on the internet is ludicrous.

I wasn't even including the $200 a year I had to pay on NHL Centre Ice in order to watch most games my team played on Saturday nights.

Why would you not include the money you're spending on Prime? Prime is like $120/year. Add TSN and Sportsnet at both $20/month for 8 months there's $400.

You also get additional content on TSN/Sportsnet/Prime than just those 82 games.

If you're spending $100/month on Netflix/Disney/Prime that's on you for letting yourself be gauged because those services are all less than $20/month each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad