Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I am still confused by this. So now monday games are not included on Sportsnet Now or on cable (where they were national games before)?

It can't be accurate that to view all 82 games, I need cable for Wed and Sat games, Amazon for Monday games, and Sportsnet Now for the rest?

SportsNet Now premium is already like $300 Canadian. No way in hell I am paying that if I don't get access to ALL NHL games. That was the only reason I would do it is knowing if I wanted to watch a game between random teams I could

We only need Apple, Netflix and Paramount to buy a day each, to make it even better... Aren't you happy to pay more, for the same product ? :popcorn:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We only need Apple, Netflix and Paramount to buy a day each, to make it even better... Aren't you happy to pay more, for the same product ? :popcorn:

Oh yes I love it so much.

For the first time I am looking into vessels to sail the high seas with because this is ridiculous. I wasn't happy to pay the 300 a year to see all games but I did it because I got all the games.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Oh yes I love it so much.

For the first time I am looking into vessels to sail the high seas with because this is ridiculous. I wasn't happy to pay the 300 a year to see all games but I did it because I got all the games.

How dare you ? Because of you the NHL and small American companies, like Amazon will die... :popcorn:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Here we go, they will sell Monday night to someone, Saturday to another one, Wednesday to another company, we will need to subscribe to 20 companies, in order to watch the full season, and then they will cry, because people are turning toward piracy. :popcorn:
"Here with MGM+ you can watch all the Thursday Night Hockey as your heart desires and for $7.99 for STACK you can also watch every NHL game broadcast on Wednesday between the hours of 9am to 4pm..."

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The only good that could come out of this is if it lures Amazon to be the longterm streaming partner for the NHL.

The NHL can sell the TV rights to Tsn and the streaming rights to Amazon.

None of these stupid split deals.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
I already have Amazon Prime so not really paying extra....more games the better

Streaming is worse, and I don’t get 4K games.
Too many services will be required as well.
Streaming is way better than cable

Directv Stream(Formally At&t Now) and Dish Anywhere both have 4K channels

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I already have Amazon Prime so not really paying extra....more games the better

Streaming is way better than cable

Directv Stream(Formally At&t Now) and Dish Anywhere both have 4K channels
I prefer the DVR/PVR options.

majority of posts from the US are complaining about the quality .

What has become worse, is for those of us that want every game of every team. multiple subscriptions suck

Doesn’t sound like it affects you as much, as you’re not looking for every game, by the sounds of it.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I like the current setup where you can watch all your local games. The last thing I want is you can only watch this game on this.

With baseball certain games were not on cable at all and you had to watch it exclusively through Prime - which sucked.
The Sens only have 5 games on Monday, I"ll have to wait and see if TSN is broadcasting those or will it be on Prime. I do have Prime but will I have to watch it live or will it be available to watch at a later time? What I like about cable is I can program it to tape and start watching it about 1 hour later so I can fast forward all of the commercials during the game.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The only good that could come out of this is if it lures Amazon to be the longterm streaming partner for the NHL.

Won't happen Sportsnet is not listed there at all and they revolve their entire business around hockey. Best solution is to let these networks pay a fee and get streaming rights and let them compete with each other for the best product.

Reactions: Voight

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
If it means a better presentation in 4k I'd actually rather Amazon get the entire week. Rogers has a terrible presentation. I thought when Rogers originally won the bid we'd see an upgrade to the presentation but I think it's taken a step back from what TSN offered. I'm ready to let another take it.
I have both TSN and Sportsnet on cable so was able to watch all of the Senator games last year. TSN aired about 50 of the 82 games so Sportsnet was the minority for me. A few games aired on CityTV but that's part of my cable package as well. If some of the Monday games air on Amazon, I'll adjust. I hear the TSN app sucks but they're great on cable. Much prefer the analysts and broadcasting crew on TSN as compared to Sportsnet/CityTV.

How popular is prime in Canada? Trying to figure out the economics here
We like our free shipping too lol. Everyone I know has prime except for one as she doesn't have internet.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
I prefer the DVR/PVR options.

majority of posts from the US are complaining about the quality .

What has become worse, is for those of us that want every game of every team. multiple subscriptions suck

Doesn’t sound like it affects you as much, as you’re not looking for every game, by the sounds of it.
Well I get every game because I subscribe to ESPN+. I think it's the same as SN+ for u guys

Only games I won't get are the TNT and NHL Network games but I have Directv Stream for those games

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here for people to work the games.

Side note - did not realize Thomas Hickey was retired.

I don't know about Hickey but Forslund and Shelley are among the best in the business. That's not scraping the barrel.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Still hate that I have to essentially own 3 services to stream Habs 82 games in Ontario. NHL needs to get their head out of their a** and get a unified streaming service in 4K quality , it's almost 2025 , this is unacceptable.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

I'm praying they realize splitting it up next time around is the way to go. Have em both pay like 55% of full value and let them compete.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don't know about Hickey but Forslund and Shelley are among the best in the business. That's not scraping the barrel.
Took me one viewing of the Islander broadcast this year to know that Hickey would be a star. Only way is up for him.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Not sure how much it costs for Sportsnet subscription but Amazon prime which i suspect this is only for is $130+ a year. Its cheaper to get ESPN+ ($9.99 per/mo) w/vpn ($30 a year) and get every game you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad